Push ups, cant do them

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Lose weight. And practise a lot. If you can't do regular pushups yet, rest on your knees instead your feet. That should make it easy enough that you can do them. Just make sure to keep proper posture.

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i was wondering where my weakness is as i have a strong chest, shoulders, bit lacking in triceps find them very hard to train, do exstensions, skullcrushers with dumbells

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Dips!

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

with my arms behind on my weights bench?

5. David Harrison

Yup, or the arms of a chair, or even just sat on the floor. The closer your arms are to your body, the more it will work your lats, the further away they are, the more they will work the triceps.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Chair dips are horrendous for your shoulders, don't do them.

Do pushups from your knees - if you do them right, they will lead you onto full pushups. When you do them, it is important to maintain a straight line from head to knees. Too many people do knee pushups by going onto all fours and just dipping their head with their ass left in the air - as one of my MT coaches is fond of saying "that's not a pushup, that's doggy style".

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

hahahaha

8. David Harrison

They don't have to be if you limit your RoM and keep good form, particularly keeping the shoulders down. Though it does depend on the width of the chair. Though I prefer using the seats of two chairs facing each other.

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

will try that and my bench for the dips, and the progressive push ups

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

This should help.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.FGGBxwzT.dpbs

11. holyheadjch

I've never been able to get a worthwhile ROM without putting a dangerous amount of strain on my shoulders, but it's been a long time since I last did them, so it could have just been bad technique.

12. David Harrison

I agree it's not great, and you need to find an unusually narrow armchair, but I also am not averse to low RoM, high volume exercises. It depends on your aims.

13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

bit more size but mostly strength

14. David Harrison

There are people more qualified than me on MAP to advise you on routines, but "strength" doesn't just come in one form. I've only ever been into bodyweight exercises and a little punching with dumbbells, as I'm interested in strength-to-weight and not bulk in the slightest. Agility and climbing kind of stuff rather than brute strength.

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

as ive increased my weights i lift ive gained strength more than size, neuromuscular strength im no body builder, more interested in losing the beergut ( i know stop drinking beer), so am gonna try to cut down to having a drink 3 times a month as am starting bjj next month and am gonna do an intensive lot of training to ready myself for it

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Strength is more of a nervous system thing (correct me oh "more knowledgable than I ones" if I'm mistaken here) than a bulk thing. Bigger muscles do have the potential to be stronger, but you would be surprised at how strong you can get without having to put on a crap ton of size.

That said, having a physically demanding lifestyle where you're climbing, doing intense martial arts, hard labour job or whatever, those all transfer into strength as well. However, weightlifting is a very, very direct route to more strength. The "pick up a dumbbell and gain 20 lbs of muscle (or even .5 lbs)" is probably the worst myth about lifting.

Not saying you were saying that, but it sure implied you have that belief, even if in just a small way : P

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

dude! don't ever stop drinking beer (or wine, or liquor)! just don't drink so much. i have one drink 2-3 times a week, every week.

also, don't worry about getting ready for bjj. bjj will get you ready for bjj.

18. holyheadjch

You're right, which is why you make such huge gains when you first start training, because you learn to properly use the muscle you do have.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Ive watched some online, looks scary LOL

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it is scary. but you can do it. i started when i was 250 lb. (114 kilo) and not an in-shape 250, a tubby, lethargic and fat 250.