Push Hands

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by pqs, Jul 15, 2010.

1. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Couple more pics, this is I think Dan Dochertys first (or second) pushing hands comp in the UK, and its where we nicked the idea of a raised area from.

Pics show my teacher btw:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Pushing hands should be more like this!

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I don't envy the guy in the first pic. Did he get chucked like that of the platform?

3. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Think so, it happens quite ofton.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Ouch :eek:

5. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

next they should have a ladder match

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I saw this in a movie or two. It was set in China and challengers met on top of a raised platform.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

The raised platform in one form or another is a very Chinese thing. Hence trad San Shou being on a lei tai, which is basically a large raised platform, and historically, there have been lots of stories of great fighters proving themselves on a raised platform, often surrounded by water.

8. 47MartialMan

Which movies was this in?

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Didnt mention any movies, and I dont tend to watch martial art films.

Having said that, the best pklatform fighting scene from any film ever must have been Flash Gorgon:

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUdMBciScd0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUdMBciScd0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  10. 47MartialMan

Man, I had two buds who were martial art movies fanatics. They could tell you the actors known and unknown, the directors, etc.

When I would visit either one, they had these movies on. I had wtached some partial segments and I vaguely remember some platform scenes. I just dont know the movies these were in.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Flash Gorgon?Was he the guy who used to turn people into stone w/his ch'i?

Haven't heard/read of too many platforms in the old country being surrounded by water,except maybe during Yellow River flood season.Accounts usually tell of the town square or somesuch.Or indoor stages.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You have my deepest sympathies.I'm in Lio's camp on the MA movie thing.

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

There are some still going on:

From Wik ihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai#Water_lei_tai

Water lei tai
    The city of Taizhou, Zhejiang hosted the first "On Water Contest of the 'Liqun Cup' International Traditional Wushu and Unique Feats Tournament" from May 22–26, 1999. It was here that 24 countries and 28 Chinese national teams, over a thousand competitors in all, gathered to test their skills against each other.

The water lei tai was held on the afternoon of the second day of competition (May 23). There were five divisions and it was the most attended event of the tournament. The event was made more difficult when it rained just prior to the matches, making the fighting surface very slippery. Also fighters were restricted to minimal safety equipment, only gloves and shorts. The defeated, who fell or was forced off the stage, landed in water. To improve safety, the lei tai was a meter shorter than a standard one, which lessened the impact and allowed assistants to quickly jump in the pool to rescue any fighter who might have been unconscious. No serious injuries were recorded during this event.[5]

There have been more water lei tai's held since this event. In March 2004, the 9th International Chinese Kuoshu Federation (ICKF) World Championship hosted the 3rd water lei tai. The tournament venue was Aquatic Training Centre, Tainan Canal, Tainan, Taiwan. This was the first International event hosted by the ICKF to be held entirely on water.[33]

14. 47MartialMan

Hey,. What can I say. I couldn't get these two buds to get their heads out of the sand. The closest thing they thought martial arts were about was movies and video games. The discussions they started made me want to choke them hanging them over a balcony.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I have a friend who back in the day thought he could learn new moves from playing street fighter.....scary

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Wow,that's wild.

When my second teacher left town we had a get-together at the home of one of our students,who had a pond.Got quite hilarious watching some of the guys doing ph on a small floating platform about the size of of 1 and1/2 surfboards. Was especially fun seeing the dunking of a 3rd degree BB.

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I recall seeing a clip from Taiwan of san shou featuring water lei tai, might have been from that tourny mentioned.

Bingo!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-K_xD_ML8"]YouTube- 2004 ICKF 9th World Kuoshu Lei Tai (æ“‚å°) Championship Tournament[/ame]

18. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Clip is no longer up

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

that's wierd, the link is working for me. just tried it.

??

20. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Ah, I get "This video contains content from WMG and Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country. " but I'm posting from Germany so its prob ok in the UK.

And on another note, set up another meet fgs!!!:woo: