Punching Power

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nightcrawlerEX, Dec 28, 2005.

1. nightcrawlerEX

nightcrawlerEX Valued Member

There is so much physics that can be applied.

Basically what im saying is

The power of your punch is strengthened by the force (weight) behind the punch and how past the punch is going.

For example...

You wouldent want to get hit by a car going 100km/h

You wouldent want to get hit by a truck going 50km/h

BUT YOU WOULD NOT want to get hit by a truck going 100km/h

P.S. This is just a rough example

P.P.S.

This is an old thread, plz read the updated article (Punching Power V2.0) and the comments on that. Everything said so far has already been covered

2. yodaofcoolness

yodaofcoolness New Member

3. Big red

Big red New Member

Just look at Bruce Lee. Comparatively speaking, his arms were not huge, yet he could send a man flying back because of his accuracy and transfer of energy. Just like an elastic band, he could put his entire body into every technique he did, and (here comes the elastic band part) could release, and snap the technique just at the right moment. Without pulling back the elastic band, there's no power, but if you pull it back too much, it will break, or you will end up hitting your own thumb. Well, there's my two cents.

4. Big red

Big red New Member

Physics of punching

Sorry, me again. Ok. One can talk about physics in punching, and physics in martial arts in general. But, isn't that taking the "art" out of martial art? Is it now becoming "martial science and physics?" I don't know, that's just my opinion.

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

You could argue a punch is a punch and through understanding why and how we do things (science can explain just about everything) and by utalising it then you can improve what you do and also what you teach others.

So hence the techniques they learn are better and of more use. It is the art part that has watered down so many arts to less effective forms of what they once were.

It is a japanese term that added the art to martial arts from I believe feudal japanese era's. Back then stuff had to work.

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

when sitting, sit
    when walking, walk
    when punching, oh I forget now..

:)

7. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Martial Arts has a lot behind not only the art, but the applications provided for the art.

There's physics into anything that moves, and that requires energy.
    Or of when energy is released.

Ex: You need an amount of energy that would let you be able to move of what's required.

Umm my theory on combining these physics and sciences together with Martial Arts. People doing Martial Arts would be phonomenal in how they would be able to perform and with efficiency. Getting down to the most detailed factors in how to be able to improve.

Welcome to MAP too :)

8. elnyka

elnyka New Member

There is an interesting book regarding Bruce's straight lead technique titled Straight Lead: The Core of Bruce Lee's Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do by Teri Tom. The books has excellent explanations on the technique and as of how Bruce Lee (or any practitioner of the straight lead, like boxers of old) would transfer his body weight behind the punch. The principles are not that different from boxing as far as I can see.

I really recommend this book, as it is an interesting read on itself.

9. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

The principles aren't that different because Bruce Lee stole a lot from boxing itself. It all boils down to basic principles no matter what art you practice, I covered that in my own power punching article for Bullshido.

10. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's nice to see all the equations flying around, although they're pretty redundant. A slap is fast and the mass is the same as a punch, but I know which I'd use if I wanted to knock someone out. All these equations work at the point of impact, not after. There's a good reason why you're told not to stop a punch when it connects.

The power comes from a constant application of force from the muscles throughout the punch, not just at the first touch.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  11. Sonshu

I would be stunned if anyone taught any different? I doubt they do it still does not mean they can deliver it when the chips are down - most arts can hit well (judo etc not included) but its the delviery of the technique for real which sucks most often.

12. xen

xen insanity by design

:D

i think i've remembered...

....when punching, make sure you have your slide rule and your list of essential formulae to hand, measure the distance between yourself and your potential target, make sure you are standing at an elevation which means you are assisted by gravity, check for the negative effects of any cross-winds and factor them into the original equations, take a deep breath, get ready and ...

oh, he's *gone/floored me :confused:

*delete as applicable.

just train as much as you need, in a way that gets results and smack 'em as hard as you can.

simplicity is the key to truth

:cool:

13. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Use your Triceps, not your Biceps. That is all.

14. Ma Bu

Ma Bu Valued Member

So, the most important thing in delivering a good punch is correct technique, proper footwork with efficient kinetical energy transfer, and during all that, complete bodily relaxation. It's like Bruce Lee once or on several times stated, that compete relaxation is the key to more powerful punching. Each punch should end with a snap several inches behind the target's surface. By a snap, it is meant a slight but powerful whipping motion and pulling back the limb to your guard, be it a kick or a punch. Once in a very famous documentary Bruce also said that a good punch is kind of like a mace, going straight or with a slight circular, angular motion IN to the target and whipping back to the original on-guard position. That ofcourse implies that I'm an absolute Bruce Lee fan and a jeet kune do nut. I believe Bruce was right... :cool:

15. Sonshu

I just hit people and they seem hurt.

16. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

this confuses me, to me the tennis ball represent a small person, now i would rather get hit by a slow going tennis ball. However what would you rather get hit by a slow movie bowling ball or a fast moving tennis ball, i think i would choose the tennis ball. The bowling ball represent a big person. what would you rather get hit by a slow big guy or a small fast person, i would choose small fast person but idk

17. nightcrawlerEX

nightcrawlerEX Valued Member

Its just simply meant to mean that things going faster hurt more.

18. neb

neb Banned Banned

Except sex :D

19. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Hey watch it, you may stab someone with that.... *snigger* :D

20. Paaaatrik

Paaaatrik New Member

Speed = Not necesserely(sp?) power. Jab is quickest boxing punch. And it's not hard..
    Kinetic linking = Power!