Punching from the hip?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Linguo, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I've been taking JJJ and have been taught to throw punches from the hip. I'm just curious if boxers do the same.

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Nope, that is a good way to get a flat nose ;)

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What do you mean 'from the hip'? Fist starting on the hip, or your weight driving from your hip (with your guard up around your head/chest)?

The former no, the latter yes-ish. A 'properly' executed punch should involve movement of the foot, hip, shoulder then arm. Think as if you were throwing a shot putt and how you would do that to maximum effect, this is how you would execute a cross (roughtly ;) ).

Col

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

To find out watch a boxing match - it will be plainly obvious.

5. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I was thinking of the latter.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Then as I said above, yes-ish. Most punches should be a whole body thing, driving the weight into the strike.

Col

7. JurassicWarrior

JurassicWarrior New Member

Granted in Uechi ryu, we too do the drawing back of the punch. But, we do not start it from the hip in practice we tend to keep our hands at our pecs. Of course in reality the only way you could do that is if you have his arm trapped(his left w/your left hand and vice versa) and he's closed off rather than opened up. If he's closed off he's limited to a side kick for a second or two. Obviously if you just stood there he'd then gun after you. But that's a different subject. All in all, the hands starting at the pec makes more sense than lowering and starting from the hips. I've seen a few boxing matches and some of them do **** their fists back but only after they've softened their opponent up like after throwing a few jabs his body is shaded from his opponent and then he lands the reverse punch. as opposed to a one-two type of attack. The main thing I've learned in my training is keep your arms up for their levels and use the legs for their levels, which are low(stomach, groin, knee). This is reflected in the stance. My arms may not be placed as high as a boxer's but they're still up there. plus they're in front of my ribs to act as another shock absorber. A sore arm is better than a rib fracture.

8. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Boxers dont punch from the hip although the hip is involved.

To throw a left hook (orthadox stance) you would pivot the lead foot,then the knee followed by the hip and finally the shoulder.Your weight starts off on the lead foot and quickly transfers onto the back foot as you rotate the left side of your body.I hope that helped.

9. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

In Taekwon-Do, line work punches start from the hip. This is how it works:

a)Fist is on hip facing upwards
    b)fist travels forward til elbow reaches where fist started
    c)fist travels in a C shape, with the top of the C being the height of the shoulder.

This is called "backward motion", it uses the fact that changing the direction of a moving object (i.e the fist) is easier and much faster than starting the object from a stationary position.