Punch to the face

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sketco, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sampla

sampla Valued Member

happens

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I told you not to wear that zombie outfit....

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I was in 10th grade, the "drama" of the fight built up over several weeks, I wanted to catch the kid outside of school.

I finally see him one day while walking home and I threw the first punch, he hunched over and "turtled up" I was not "trained" then and I could have ended him with knees in that position, but all I knew was boxing so i rained down punches on the back of his head.

He broke the position and came at me, we exchanged a little then walked away. I remember even putting up my BEEPER before we fought on a nearby car lol wow

4. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Once. I want to say i regret it deeply, but it stopped the bullying and the damage it was causing me. I may have been a different person if not for that fight.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Only in sparring.

6. TheLongRoad

TheLongRoad Valued Member

I actually used to think it was strange when I'd hear people say things like "I've never hit someone" or "I've never been in a fight before". Now that I'm in University I hear it all the time.

The older I get the more I realize that I probably had an unusual experience growing up because fights used to be a fairly common occurrence when I was younger. I still know a few people who routinely show up with new scars on their hands or black eyes.

Short answer (too late for that) yes, though I actively try to not do it anymore, unless someone is threatening me or someone I care about. Doesn't always work but trying has to be better than not trying, yeah?

7. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I see nothing wrong with getting into fights, especially if you are a defending side

thing that I never had a street fight I view rather like a loss, not a giant achievement

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

That really depends. It is better to not end up on the defending side to begin with. If you end up needing to defend yourself because you have a big mouth to the wrong people, then you may be on the defense, but there is nothing particularly 'right' about it.

The fact that you see your lack of street fight experience as a loss is rather immature. There is nothing to be gained from street fighting. You only risk getting beaten up or ending up with legal trouble. And for what?

It is one thing to have to do it is there is no other option. Granted. But to look upon having to fight as a great achievement is just missing the point. the point is not to lose. Your biggest chance of success in 'not losing' is not having to fight.

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Although there's nothing wrong with using physical force when in comes to self defence (or defending someone else that I thought was in serious trouble), street fights are downright stupid and I would consider it to be a giant loss if I found myself personally involved in one.

I'm by no means a self defence expert, but from my understanding, self defence comes in all different forms; from avoiding a situation, to talking yourself out of a situation, from walking away, to using physical force as a last resort when you feel that your well being (not ego) is under threat.

It takes a stronger person to walk away because essentially you're saying to them 'you're not worth my time'. That in its own is like a psychological punch without excess drama that comes with physically punching someone.

There's an old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Why put your own physical well being on the line in an uncontrolled environment where everything can, and possibly will, go wrong?

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

+1

11. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

I only give into temptaition on any day with a Y in it.

12. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Yeah and I did often, when I was younger. There were these two sons of my neighbour bullying me all the time...
    Then when we all grew up they of course became much bigger than me so I had to run instead :D
    Fortunately I then started martial arts and they helped me a lot with anger and stuff. And I grew a sharp tongue in the meanwhile :D

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Twice.

To be fair for the first guy, I didn't want to punch him in the face. I wanted to kidnap him, chain him up, break his legs and torture him for days before I finally choked the sad, twisted life out of him.

Fortunately I didn't. Hell, a couple of weeks later I was sitting opposite him in our kitchen listening to him whinge about some awful crap to do with something stupid and didn't even tense up. I was pretty surprised with myself by that.

The other one was end of last year when I was arguing with my old karate sensei about allowing the logic of dudes going for black belt who hadn't trained properly in 6 months + and a couple of other bits and he told me to shut up under his breath. Unfortunately for him, since I'm blind as a bat my sense of hearing (and smell for that matter, but that's not so relevant :p) is noticeably stronger than your average joe's, so I heard him. It was only when someone else pointed out I had gone into relaxed kamae without noticing that I realised it was best to just take a step back on that one.

That one I don't regret not hitting him then.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  14. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

My opnion here is that violence begets violence and I wouldnt ever try to use it to solve anything. Along with that I would really try to wrap my head around the fact that no one can make you do anything includeing hit them, you really need to understand that concept.

15. DragonMMA

DragonMMA Boards don't hit back.

Oh, I've punched many people in the face and I've been punched many times in the face. But it was all consensual considering it being in full contact sparring sessions :p .

As far as a real fight, I've only been in one and it was with a school bully in my class who was harassing my little brother. I confronted him over it and he pushed me. Well, long story short I broke his nose and I have felt really bad about that ever since. He deserved it, but I still feel guilty. The things you do for family.

16. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Done this myself. A guy in my class at school thought he was something in fact there was a group of them that hung around together who were bullies. My little brother came into my class to deliver a message from his teacher to mine and this particular bully decided to slag him off (my Litte brother had buck teeth). He also said a few other things to him. I had watched this guy take liberties with other kids usually with his group at his back though. I generally stayed away from them but not that day.

I walked up to him in front of the teacher as calmly as i could and just laid waste to him. I knew he was a coward. I knew his friends were cowards too. After he was done i remember the guys i hung around with starting to get more bold these bullies weren't the threat they used to be. One of them challenged me shortly afterwards. I refused the challenge as he wasn't worth my time and when i turned my back on him he spat on my jacket. One of my friends set upon him and left him crying. I don't feel bad whatsoever for that day when i punched a bully in the face.

Baza

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Many times.

I don't regret them either, because I've never punched someone who didn't deserve it.

The only thing I regret was my own immaturity that stopped me from just walking away even if they deserved it.

18. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

I never get the feeling. well, maybe for a very brief moment.