Punch combo ideas?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 31, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Right now i'm working on the following...

I don't work on all of them everyday, but i'm up to about 100-150x per combo. Usually ends up about 1700-1800 punches per workout. I'm also back to using the 2 lb weights. I also have the tennis ball that I use just to hit for accuracy (without the weights) so when i'm working on the combos I aim for the string, practicing moving in and out and circling the string. The weights help a lot with keeping my hands up... shoulders burn, but a good burn.

My hands feel so fast without the weights that I don't feel like I can control them lol. Weird feeling.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What's 1,1,2? What does the number stand for?

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

That's what I was thinking, but I thought that was some sort of code that was commonly used, like 1 = Jab, 2 = Cross but idk lol. Thought it was some boxer speak :p

4. Saved_in_Blood

1= jab
    2= straight right/right cross
    3=left hook
    5=left uppercut
    6=right uppercut

(only writing the ones I am using but 4 would be right hook)

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Thanks for your definition. Now it's much clear. So you put left side forward and

1 - left jab,
    2 - right cross,
    3 - left hook,
    4 - right hook,
    5 - left uppercut,
    6 - right uppercut.

Should you consider 1,1,2 different from 1,2? It just seems to me that if you consider 1,2, and 1,1,2, and 1,1,1,2 are 3 different combos, it may make thing a bit too complicate.

Also do you think 1,6 may be better than 1,5? If you always alternative your punches (L, R, L, R, ...), you may be able to simplify your combos even more.

By using probability, you will have 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 different combos. Since not all combos may make sense, your total number of combos should be less than 24 (if you always alternative L and R, and also if you don't count the duplicate).

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  6. Saved_in_Blood

the idea of the 1,5,3,2 is that it's all left handed shots and very unexpected. It's a tricky combo that I work on mainly to just get it really ingrained. I'm not looking for to many combo's honestly. After I work on them for a while I can sort of freestyle I guess would be the word and the combo sort of just go along.

The 1,1,2 is a very effective combo because everyone expects the 1,2, but double or triple the jab and that confuses them about which punch might be coming behind it... IMO anyway.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I agree that 1,5 may cause surprise. I don't think 1,1,2 can cause more surprise than 1,2. People are used to multiple jabs because jab can be non-committed punch. IMO, the definition of combo is to switch from one technique into another. To repeat the same technique multiple times just don't fit the combo definition.

8. Saved_in_Blood

I'm not training to compete though... it's for fitness and to compliment my combat hapkido... or to use it alone if it ever were to come to that... hopefully not.

9. Saved_in_Blood

I also work on the jab to be a snapping punch and not just a feeler like some people use it for... a jab by itself can win a fight.

10. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Left handed combos are not expected, which could be effective, but could also backfire. You could also have your strikes flow into each other, like 1,2,5,4,1 or 1,2,1,4

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have seen 3 right hooks combo, low, medium, high. Of course when your left arm overhook your opponent's right arm, you can only punch with your right arm.

12. Saved_in_Blood

yes, i've seen double and triple left hooks and they are quite effective when done fast enough. I can work on doubling them up, but mainly only on technique... a heavy bag would be easier to work on those types of punches in succession than shadow boxing them probably.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm not sure 1,6 will make sense. When you throw a jab, most of the time, your opponent will move his head back. That distance will be too far for your uppercut. Usually an uppercut is used after a hook. When your opponent tries to dodge underneath your hook, his head will lean forward for your uppercut.

You may want to consider to add "back fist" into your list. It may not be allowed to use it to hit on top of your opponent's head in boxing, but it can be used after hook and before uppercut as a nice horizontal, downward, upward 3 moves combo.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I disagree. Double jab-cross is a great combination and well worth practicing because the footwork, distancing and weight transfer needed to get some zip in both jabs is tricky IMHO.
    I'd say people are much more used to a vanilla 1-2/jab-cross (as a general rule).
    You also get low jab-high jab-cross and/or high jab-low jab-cross with the double jab which opens up all sorts of gaps and responses.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One thing I started to do a few years back was watch great fighters and try to pick up their favourite or most effective combos.
    Try them out for myself to see if they "fit".
    I had a "Ramon Dekker combo" and an "Ernesto Hoost combo" IIRC. Although they included kicks too.

16. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

To compliment your hapkido, you may want to work some combinations based on unbalancing and "killer instinct".

For example, what follows the 1, 2 combination depends on your "killer instinct" and the posture of the opponent. Work a 1, 2 combination where the opponent's posture is broken backwards. You can follow up with a step-in 6 (right uppercut) between the opponents arms. --> 1, 2, step-in 6.

Work a combo where the 1, 2 combo causes the opponent to lean (break posture) to their left (your right). Avoid their overhand right, guard against their left hook, throw your 3 (left hook). --> 1, 2, juke left, 3.

Work a combo where the 1, 2 combo causes the opponent to lean (break posture) to their right (your left). Avoid their overhand left, guard against their right hook, throw your power 2 or 4. --> 1, 2, juke right, 2.

If the opponent's posture is broken forward, this is when you can work the body hooks and uppercut combinations.

When you add in kicks and other considerations from hapkido, you can build up more combos.

The one thing to avoid is trading blows. If your combos are not breaking the opponent's posture, consider restarting with a different combo. For example, 1, 2 combo fails to break posture, so then go 1, 1, 2. So your combo for training might end up being 1, 2, pause, 1, 1, 2, pause, 1, pause, 1, 2, pause, 1, pause, 2, etc. Avoid doing the same combo with the same timing when building longer combinations.

18. Saved_in_Blood

yeah, I get what you're saying. Right now i'm just trying to work my endurance back up and get all of the muscles used to punching again. So far, no shoulder pain has come from it because my form is much better, the turning the hips more into the hooks and the straight right.

19. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I would suggest adding defensive ideas within the combination at the very least after 2 or 3 punches. And also considering some kind of defence or defensive punch at the end of each combination as you come out.

For example finishing combinations with a left hook as you back out to your right. Or finishing on jab as you back out.
    Or after a right cross, bob and weave off the cross and back off or bob and weave and continue the combination.
    Or finish on a right cross as you move back.Or finish with a push or put a push in the combination or put a forearm push in the combination.
    Or jab, layback with the head then double jab ,right cross.
    Or put some philly shell type defence in the middle of the combo then continue.
    Or cover the hook and hook back..

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He's right there.
    Coming in at an angle and back out on another angle while jabbing off or bobbing and weaving is always something I have to continually remind myself to do on the bag because it's so easy to get into offensive mode.