punch bag workout for karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by scm, May 21, 2011.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

I dont mind yacking on MAP, but when Im training in a regular class or with crossover, as a rule of thumb, I try to keep my gob shut and listen to the other dude's advice/questions/points i.e. i prefer to be taught than teach.

Doesn't always work out like this.

Where you notice a couple of flaws in the other fellow, then at a break, have a wee yack about it and redo a second time. This works best when there are 3 folk - 1 as a ref/coach to the other 2.

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I try to keep my mouth shut, and leave what I know at the door at the end of the day I aint in charge so I keep that in mind, although I did add my 2p to the ninjutsu class I attended earlier this week but thats another subject ;)

Do you try and set things up against a fresh opponent rather than someone you train with regular? I've made some very interesting discoveries about dropping a set up or starting with z,y,x instead of x,y,z so to speak

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A new thread needs to be set up me thinks. :evil:

4. embra

embra Valued Member

As I travel so much Doug, I have to train with whoever I can find. As my principal art is probably now martial TaiChiChuan (15 teachers in 3.5 years), this does make life difficult as some classes involve no sparring at all, others are full on, others involve weapons work and other stuff; and a lot of TCC folk are not that aggressive. There is nearly always aggressive Pushing Hands.

I am a small skinny wiry small fellow with a lot of mobility and tricks and not everyone appreciates my enthousiasm on first encounter; and as such I often have to temper my speed in particular to suit people. In time folk get to know me.

It all depends what I train in. Last summer I had a great Eskrima session with 2 fellows in a Paris park. When I go back to Aikido, its absolute murder
    and my joints heave for about a week afterwards:eek:

With my regular folk in Scotland, we often experiment with things that interest us e.g. I try out multiple locks/stuns with evasion. Folk just have to be up for it. As you will be about twice my weight and size, I would be in and out against you with a lot of movement, otherwise I'll be slaughtered.:)

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

There will be one Simon, not bashing the instructor or anything as I was made to feel very welcome and I enjoyed it as I've never done anything like that before. I will share all though lol

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

See, this is one of the reasons I like MAP. most of us can share our likes and dislikes of an art without making it personal or devaluing what other people do.