Pull ups and Chin ups.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wilson, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

I got a pull up bar, and so far I can do 13 chin ups and i recently hurt my forearm so whenever i do a pull up it hurts. but i would say 10-12.
    Anyways im looking to get my arms more bigger and defined, allso my chest and back. I usually do a average of 10 pull ups everytime i come in my room.
    will pull ups alone get me looking good if i do enough?
    also does somone have a workout routine just for pull ups.

2. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

What's the difference between pull-up and chin-up? Is it in the grip? I normally face the back of my hand outwards from my body. It will work your upper back, not sure about lower back, any tips on the lower back?

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Doing pull-ups will work the biceps quite well, the back (especially the lats) quite well, and to a small extent the chest.

However, pull-ups along will not get you bigger. For your chest - bench. For your triceps - bench. For your back - deadlift and row.

Doing pull-ups will do you good, they are an excellent exercise. Just not to be done on their own :)

4. gornex

gornex Valued Member

Do them with weight. It will increase your strength faster then doing high reps. Just get a back pack and put weight in it, if you don't have weights get some big rocks or something. Every time you do the pull ups do some push ups.

5. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

wow thanks thats a good idea...i just maxed out at 15 pull ups today i beat my high schools jr. record...

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

yeah once you reach 10-12 you should add some weight to you, either through wearing a ruck sack with weights in or by buying a dip belt :)

i dont do pull ups as its mainly a bicep exercise IMO but weighted chins are an awesome exercise

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A dip belt is your best option for adding weight. Not only does it balance the weight but it doesn't inhibit your shoulders etc. you can use it on other exercises... like the dip. :D

8. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

a chin up is with your palms facing you and a pull up is with the palms facing away from you. a chin up is more of a bicep exercise which is why most people are stronger with them

9. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

pullups are cooler :cool:

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I concur.