Public fight? What gloves should i get?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sedvan, Apr 9, 2006.

1. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

mmmm. . . chocolate fire guards.

You know, I think I need to lay off the sweets.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And that's another problem with chocolate fireguards. You're mates come round your house, you leave them in the sitting room alone for a minute, come back and you have large holes in your fireguard! :mad:

;)

3. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

meh, i did that a couple of times, not in a public area though, in a friends basement with mats, u actually learn a lot from it, but then again i was going against experienced people, now trying to start brawls and stuff for the hell of it

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I've fought in garages fights many many times. Its alot different to a public fight. A public fight you are trying to ko your opponent and win, garage fights are just sparing for fun.

5. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

lol well we were trying to ko eachother, people got knocked down plenty of times, but you learn a lot faster to block certain attacks or else you will get walloped again heh

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i dont get the appeal. by the time the weekend rolls around the last thing i want to be doing is getting out the gloves to go for a few rounds in some basement.

then again, i actually spend the rest of the week training ;)

7. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

theres a difference on hitting a bag, focus mitts, light sparring, and going against someone all out, amateur matches only come around here about 3 times a year, all is usually bunched up at the very end of the year and one in the beginning so theres a huge gap in between, sometimes you actually want to test yourself to see where you are at going a few rounds

training is.... well just training, there are times when you want a real match to see how far you gone

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yep. like i said... some of us actually train.

9. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

is that to me or the other guy? because i very do well train, just because i like to have a match every now and then with a couple of buddies does not mean im an unexperience hack because i like doings these instead of training every once and a while although you can technically consider it training because its prepping for a real match coming up in the future

10. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I for one certainly wouldn't go out sparring/fighting where immediate reliable medical attention is not available. Doing an activity that could possibly put me out of work for some time with no insurance. Pretty immature if you ask me. If you want to fight, goto your gym and do some good heavy sparring in proper controlled conditions

11. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Christ what's worng with you people, he's just going out for a bit of a punch up. It's not as if he's going 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Since he said it was a highschool thing then he's young enough to get away with it.

Advice on Gloves.

Buy some Twins 10oz, comfortable, tight fighting and hit really hard. Pick em upf from $29 a pair from www.muaythaisftuff.com Delivery typically takes 6 days.

12. Alienfish360

Not saying there's anything wrong with doing it, but it has to be in the right place. Yeah, he might be able to get away with it, but accidents can and do happen and silly if no first aid is available. People can get out of hand and can often be seen, so without the control then it's just danegerous. What happens if they pick an injury up? Where's the insurance, or if applicable doctors fees.

If they're training then they should get their fair share of sparring at the gym.

If you're preparing for a competition fight, then it doesn't really say much if you're not sparring often. If you're training for a fight then you shouldn't be putting yourself at un neccersary(sp?) risk of injury that may prohibit this.

Precautions in fights and sparring is there for a reason, not just to cover the instructors/gyms back.

13. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

controlled proper conditions as in what? a matted floor? first aid kit? gloves? mouthgaurd? headgear? shingaurds? yep have all that, everyone that goes knows what they are getting into and know there limits

People can train outside the gym as long as they arent stupid about it, i mean look at rich franklin, he practiced in a shed, now look at him, if you want to excel faster your not gonna just leave everything at the gym, i learned a lot more sparring other people from different schools and learning there concepts than sparring the same people every week in my own gym. So ya to you it might be imature to spar outside the gym, but im training to compete and am willing to learn more whether its in the gym training, or in a friends basement boxing.

14. Alienfish360

Fair enough everyone knows what they are getting into. But there are times in sparring when you take a slightly heavier hit than should be. And, all of a sudden your brain switches out of sparring mode into fight mode. Without a ref/instructor etc, this could be an iffy situation.

Yes, I'm not saying don't train outside the gym, there's better things to be doing though, bag work, shadow boxing, strength, cardiovascular, and much much more.

If you're training to compete, why risk injury that could put you out of training for a good length of time. I think most fighters would agree with an upcoming bout, you avoid situations which could put you at an unnecersary risk to injury.

15. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

late post, deleted

16. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

there are always other people watching, we never had a problem where one guy decides it to be a fight and try to kill eachother since we know how to control ourselves, but if that ever happened it would be stopped automatically by people watching

yes there are other things to train on, such as running, lifting, shadow boxing, focus mitts, and yes we do them also, running hills one day then lift weights another day, then some days we box eachother, its not like we box eachother everyday after practice, no, again its part of training we do all the things possible to get better

and yes training like this is a risk, but its one im willing to take to get better, a few professional boxers training regimen that i read is the upcoming weeks before the actual fight they start to spar a lot more frequently until the fight, they take risks doing that but i guess it works for them too

17. Alienfish360

I'm not saying that boxers don't spar coming up to a fight, but they won't be doing it in a basement.

But, there's no point in carrying on with the argument really, you have your views and I have mine, no matter what nothings gonna change, pretty pointless.