Public fight? What gloves should i get?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sedvan, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

What gloves should i get? I'm boxing at the beach in 6 weeks, and I'm wondering what you guys opinions are on brands, and styles of glove? I'm a 5'8'' 160 pound guy, so my hands are not too huge. Thanks for the input.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I would think the organisers would tell you what weight you should be wearing. As for brands, I love my Fairtex ones, but Twins are meant to be very good as well

3. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

uhh yea

Lol this is more of a highschool thing. People go to the beach..and box. I'm going with 10 oz more than likely ;)

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The weight of the glove will be up to the promoters/judges/organizers.

If this is just a big free for all then what's to stop one guy from showing up with bag gloves on and the other with 16oz. gloves on?!

Sounds a bit silly.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the smallest ones you can find. should probably provide your own set of handcuffs, im sure the cops will appreciate it when they are throwing your ass in jail.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOLRIFIC!

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

:D

A 'highschool' thing, do you actually train boxing then? From your lack of gloves, I'm tending towards a no...

8. Kadafee

Kadafee New Member

its another one of them bum fights, two teenagers putting gloves on and swinging at each others face

9. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

yeah.

I punch on a bag with tape and wraps, and i train in martial arts..never owned boxing gloves. So feel free to be as condescending as you like.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

woah! you punch a bag?!?! wit WRAPS!?!?! you must be the most hardcore boxer EVER!

11. Freeform

What Ikken said X 2.

You're a lot tougher than me, I wear 10 ozers when doing heavy bagwrok. Bagwork, whilst important, is a supplement to REAL training, which would include focus mitt training, partner drills and... boxing sparring.

I know a fair few martial artists, and I would say that the majority of them can't punch worth a crap. Even the ones who are 'strikers'.

So whilst I don't know you, don't know if you can actually throw a decent punch and more importantly, can strike and defend in a live fashion, this 'beach fight' has to be one of the worst ideas I've heard of since chocolate fire guards.

Go into your town, find a proper boxing gym and train.

12. Korpy's basement boxing revisited...

13. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

Thanks.

I'll take that constructively. I do need gloves, and a place to train. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably consider not going.
    Oh and thank you, ikken..for the attitude. :rolleyes:, it seems to be your chief export.

14. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Hey, at least you don't have a flashy uniform in your style for him to make fun of. :woo:

15. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

Wow.

Ok, i'll play your game.

16. Freeform

Good :) I've seen a couple of these types of things, normally held in squash courts and the like (so that they don't get arrested). Because nobody has any clue what to do there is a bigger risk of somebody getting injured by being unable to protect themselves. And also, people continue past the point they should. I saw one guy get knocked down 4 times in one 'round', that would be a definate fight stopper in a professional fight.

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Where abouts do you live Sedvan? If you feel like going to London, im sure you can get yourself a good old fashioned unlicensed boxing match. Same as what you're doing, but you get money. ;)

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah, except he'll get killed.

still- 200 pounds is 200 pounds! even more if you bet on the other dude :D

19. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

The Gypsies from Ireland also like a bit of the barenuckle fighting, could try them too.

I'm too pretty for all that, but you may be game?

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Whatever you do...don't forget to go running in the rain wearing a hoodie, and backflip your way into the "ring".

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: