ptkalista's thoughts on PTK, open challenges, etc.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Aug 30, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

An attempt to do that might be that this sort of stuff... the resort to some bizarre form of alphabet wars is actually the last resort of those who believe in an antiquated model of culture.... eg. one that isn't dynamic.... a static model... something rather Victorian.

It's usually the sort of arguments resorted to by petty tyrants and racists... by those who are insecure in their identity and the history of their people.

I find it sad that when you have one person so hung up semantics. One can't go back and change history in all of it's variations - right, wrong or indifferent no matter how much they try to hold up the letter of the alpahbet as some sort of sign of wrongs done to them in past.

It's an incredibly weak argument for anything.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I agree. Semantic arguments are weak. But I'm not really taking ptkalista's posts into account here. Others have posited some interesting or funny stuff. I'm trying (save for clear ToS violations) to ignore ptkalista's points, unless and until you guys tell me that they're damaging your enjoyment of this forum.

Stuart

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Err.... not sure how up you are on the economy of the Philippines... but it has almost no relation to the Spaniards or Spain any more. The Spaniards haven't been in the Philippines for a mighty long time.

Absolutely scientifically unfounded rubbish.

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

How boring!!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :ban:

Keep going...by this time next year, you may even know the entire alphabet and move beyond C and K :D :D :D

In reality, everyone knows that the term Kali is possibly more commercially viable than some other terms. This popularity being largely due to the considerable efforts of Guro Dan Inosanto. I am sure that nobody would dispute that Kali Ilustrisimo is a true form with a fully acknowledged history dating back several generations. I also recall comments that GT Gaje influenced Tatang in using the term Kali because it is a more commercially acceptable term internationally, especially in the USA.

In a nutshell, this thread contains a lot of hype, which is probably more damaging the reputation of GT Gaje and the respected art that he represents than the author realises. Congratulations. A great achievement indeed. :D

Gumagalang

Peter

5. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Hey maybe u are in "Balut business" and want to send it to spain.... :)
    mmmm tx just San Miguel and no balut....

6. StixMaster

StixMaster Valued Member

Death matches ??

Maybe this could be the start of the 'Death match' Federation, where opponents sign 'no fault waivers' in the case of death to one or both players. It would probably have to be held in a country where it would be allowed or in Mindanao, where 'Death Match' would probably be acceptable and not run into any legal obstacles. Its just a thought.

7. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

THATs the first thing you said we agree on. It's typical for FMAs to rename themselves to 'Kali' when they start to commercialize. Thats probably due to the big name of Dan Inosanto in the States. But its still true - if you check the FMA that use the term Kali: SAYOC, all of Inosantos derivates, ... you'll find that a lot of them tend to use FMA to make money, as a business, not to spread the art itself. (Just check the prices of ppl like Sayoc, Vunak, ...)

It's of course not all of them, but you can say what you want - Kali tends to be more expensive, and Grandmasters who taught for free 30 years ago under the name of Arnis or Eskrima now take ridiculous prices after they became famous in the states - using the name Kali 'cause its big.

That brings me to the conclusion that the whole renaming progress is mostly about making more money...

Sorry. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. StixMaster

StixMaster Valued Member

Well these guys are just humans that have sudden celebrity and now think that they are now the 'bomb' style and run with it all the way to the bank. They will even stretch out the cirriculum to keep paying students longer. Thats why I like my friends philosophy when students come to learn from him, he tells them that it is not about the money and that his job is to make them quit training that way he knows whose sincere about truly learning Pedoy/Derobio Eskrima, a style that is connected to the 'Pulahan'(red) rebels and a Gen. Faustino Ablen. They teach combat and teach healing too. Its the quality of the students not the quantity. Business wise its not a real plan to make big money but thats what they practice and believe. Just look at how 'Hollywood' some of the FMA players have become, so yeah I too believe for most its all about the money,"Show me the Money' FMA !!!!

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. I'm not really cynical about the term "kali." I certainly don't believe it refers to any ancient mother art. Instead, I just think of it as being just the opposite. An indicator of a more recent development in FMA.

10. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

Hate to interrupt but can anyone translate the meaning & origin of the Filipino words Pekiti & Tirsia for me?

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Tersia has to be related to the number three (as in "tertiary"). I would think.

Stuart

12. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

so another word of Spanish origin.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ironically (given the content of this thread), yes. That's my understanding.

Stuart

14. Karl

Karl Valued Member

They are cognates or loanwords from spanish.

Tirsia comes from un tercio and the idea here is Quarters or close quarter....

But we dont have o forget that we are talking about words and not the art himself, what I mean it doesnt mean that the art comes from spain or has the origins there....

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Karl,

Sure. Please understand that I'm not suggesting that Pekiti Tersia is Spanish or owes any more to Spanish fencing than does any other style of FMA. Hell, most of my background is Doce Pares. Doesn't get much more Spanish in title than that. You're right. It's just a term.

Close quarters, eh? So is "tirsia" related to "three" at all? Or am I just off base? Is close quarters regarded as the third range? (After largo and medio?)

Thanks! Interesting discussion after all.

Stuart

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As a sidenote, has the generally accepted spelling changed somewhere along the line? I had always thought it was spelled "pekiti tersia." Did it change or have I just been doing it consistently wrong for the past 18 years?

If the latter... D'oh.

Stuart

17. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Tirsia not Tercia

In PTK we donot use Spanish words such us the Cebuano escrima or Arnis. They are words of the Spanish not the original Filipino art. The true kali is older than before the Spanish arrived to rape our women there is no spanish in Kali only Filipino the true Filipino philosophy and culture meaning life not death and health not sickness from the hinterlands where the Spanish did not go to. Kali is real and Filipino to experience it is to experience the truth come to Manila in 2008 to experience the flavor if you have doubt. :woo:

18. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

Did you even read what was written? What is Pekiti Tirsia if not Spanish loanwords?

19. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Yes it is Tirsia and not tersia.....
    The question about close quarter will maybe better answer by Juramentado or Bayani since IM not in Pkt....but i dont think u are wrong about quartering...

20. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Wow u are repeating word by word phrase from GT Gaje......and maybe u dont speak spanish to realize that indeed there are spanish words in ur art....