Proud of your Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I do a bastardized version of Kyokushin heavily influenced by American 'point fighting' and XMA. You know what? Couldn't be prouder. We might not be what you call 'proper' Karate but we're damn good at it!

2. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Love my karate.
    Love it even better when practising with someone else who loves their karate.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't even begin to picture what this looks like :D

Mitch

4. Zombie Bokken

Zombie Bokken Valued Member

Loved the karate I did as a kid and if there was a club close by that did a class which allowed for my hectic social life (lie, of course as I have to small kids and no time) I would love to reinvigorate my learning.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I think you've got lost, you want this place:

Please click here

:D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This will help.

Attached Files:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That is the forum of my dreams! :love:

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

:D

Seriously, I'd love to know the sparring rules or see a video, see the difference between TAGB/ITF sparring for example.

Mitch

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I love Kyokushin and if anyone has a problem with it I'll punch them dead in the chest.

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Chudan tsuki! :D

11. spaced

spaced Valued Member

I love studying Karate. Ive been a Martial Artist for 6 years. I did alot of research in all the styles before choosing which one. Goju Ryu seemed to offer the best in terms of style and because of my Crane, hard/soft background it has been awesome and I will train until the day I leave this mortal place.

12. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

I love the style I do. I think a lot of the negativity with all styles is down to fashion. Something captures the public imagination because it is featured in a TV series, then something else come along, then something else... Each time there will be people who say the previous stuff was rubbish.

13. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

I do Wado Ryu, have done for a little over a year now. I'm proud of what I do and will talk to anyone willing to listen about it.

I cannot practice Kata however unless no one else is watching, I just feel silly doing it. Maybe I just need to get over that. Is anyone else the same or is it just me?

14. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

If it is just a confidence thing it should get better as you get better and understand the movements more. First you have to learn each kata in terms of what move you do in which direction and in what order. Then you work on doing the whole thing better, crisper, more smoothly etc.

15. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Unfortuantely I dont even think its something I'll ever be able to get over. I can do the first few required Katas fine, but I cannot imagine doing them in my garden. People would think I'm mental.

I cannot even practice them on my own in the Dojo, I just think its a confidence thing in general.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Get your butt to a few tournaments and enter kata divisions. Best way to face your fear of performing in front of people!

17. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

That could workactually, but I dont think that performing Kata infront of people would be the issue, as its expected, and the people in the tournament would expect to see Kata.

I wouldnt be alone doing it if you get me, unlike working alone in the Dojo, or in my garden.

Yes yes, Im mental...:rolleyes: Ill get my coat.

18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Do you feel silly because you think other people will think you are doing something stupid? Or do you feel silly because you don't know what you are doing and feel you are doing something stupid? Or something else?

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Late evening/night time training dude. Seriously. Everybody is hiding inside, the lights are dark at best, there's no-one around. Might be worth considering :)

20. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Why not train in the privacy of the bathroom like everybody else*? :D

*I don't. Seriously, I don't.