Protein shake without a protein shaker

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Saz, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

In a typical dumbass move by yours truely, I threw out my protein shaker when I moved house as I wasn't training :bang:

Now I've started back at the gym again, I have protein poweder but no shaker.

Anyone know the best way to make a shake without one? :D

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

A jug and a whisk?

That's what I use.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thanks Moosey, that did work, but I think its time for me to buy a new shaker! :D

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

mix the powder into a paste first, then add more milk/watervodka gradually while mixing. Bit like making a sauce when cooking. This way its not lumpy, which I'm assuming was the problem?

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I drink a mix of protein powder and grape or lemon juice i just use a spoon .*Need to get a blender*

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I use a blender. Even if I'm not adding anything, it makes shakes taste much better.

Mitch

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats actually what I did :D And it stops half the powder clinging to the bottom of the jug. It wasn't lumpy, it just didn't mix as well as I'd like, it was a bit grainy

8. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

blender it is then. Best get your ass down to argos :)

9. righty

righty Valued Member

I just mix mine with a spoon these days. I hate cleaning the blender. And I've only got one good shaker.

10. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I just use a little handheld blender in a jug, works fine for me

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Pint glass and a spoon, here. :D

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Saz, if you're rich enough to buy protein from MP (if I remember correctly), then you're rich enough to fork out the couple of quid for one of their cheapy shakers.

Stop being a tight fisted Welshie! ;)

Or you could use a blender and a jug...

To be honest you tend to get a better consistency with the shake if you use a blender. I only noticed this when on a 'bulking phase' (read, lifting heavy things and eating so much I wanted to barf) I was throwing a spoonful of peanut butter into my chocolate shakes and then blending it.

Mmmm, peanut butter.

13. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I never liked the shakers as it seemed they only lasted 6-12 months before they went crappy on me...usually the o-ring/seal on the first thread of the lid would come off or warp somehow. I mostly use a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle....the wide-mouth ones b/c they are easy to clean. I also like the blender option when I want to add milk and ice (maybe a banana), but they are kind of annoying to clean... I typically only use the blender when I'm making a shake as a meal replacement/supplement anyway. I use the Nalgene bottle with just powder and water for my post-workout recovery protein.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I have two, one I bought to keep at work last year (minimise the stuff I needed to run with) and one I bought in 2002 that still works fine! You have to take that o-ring out and wash it! Two shakers in 8 years!

15. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Well granted, I'm not the best test subject because I've only owned two..but they did both quickly crap out on me. One was a Vitamin Shop brand (I love Vitamin Shop....just not their shakers) and the other was a GNC brand (I think). The deal with the O-ring was that, after being taken out, it wouldn't create a seal when I put it back into its thread. Whenever I shook the bottle, some liquid would seep out. Not sure if I was getting a cheap-o shaker, or just couldn't figure out how to operate it, but I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, and hope everyone else does as well.

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

use a sports bottle with as little of a bottle neck as possible shake then drink through the ports cap, stops the lumps getting through use a funnel or some a4 paper made into a cone.

An orange juicer works surprisingly well as does a smoothie maker. Alternatively stir it into porridge for some reason it doesn’t go lumpy like it does in milk and water.
    I have no idea why I discovered the orange juicer btw

EDIT:eek:h you can get shakers wIth balls in them now for braking up lumps, i've just ordered one for £1.95 free p&p