Protective equipment in X-Kans training.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by gapjumper, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Thinking specifically for the types of training in the Bujinkan, Genbukan and Jinenkan. Maybe also Toshindo and other indies.

We've all seen those old pics of Soke and the shihan practising kicks against (TKD?) body protectors, many moons ago.

Do you use protective equipment in your dojo to practice strikes etc, or have you seen it used in other another dojo to good effect?

Any recommendations on specific pieces of kit, any warnings about useless kit? Any interesting adaptation of non-ma kit (like baseball pads, batting gloves etc)?

Myself I use/have used the standard strike shields and pads etc. I'm considering a chest protector so full power kicks etc can be tested...

Afterall, you soon find the flaws in your technique when striking something solid(ish), even more so if it's something that can move.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Sylvain

Sylvain Valued Member

We have, at times, used pao to practice strikes, and a punching bag, but for a monetary reason more than anything else, we are left without it 90pct of the time.

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

We're making good use of (double sided) forearm protectors and MMA gloves
    Not for tori, but Uke only and it's great to sharpen up jodan uke, ken kudaki etc

4. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Valued Member

Hello,

Yes, I use them quite a bit with the higher ranks. Actually for our club christmas party the students bought me 4 new ones. I also have a fist suit and a spear suit that we use.

It is actually used in some of the ryu ha specifically.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

5. gapjumper

I have just got hold of some open-palm mma gloves and will be making use of these. Not seen forearm protectors.

6. gapjumper

Hi Troy,

Fist suit and spear suit...I'm off to google those.

Useful for quite a few though. Do some densho mention it explicitly?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh I see, the full body armour stuff. Looks good.

7. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

We certainly use pads for some punching and kicking drills and many of us have our own individual gear for dare I say sparring. :D

Seriously though, one thing I think is a good investment is head gear with a nose guard. It will allow you to practice some things at a higher speed and later track your partner and most likely not worry about a broken nose the next day. With some of the drills, its usually not a question of if you will get hit but more when.

It will also come in useful if you would like to explore some full contact sparring later.

9. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

In our kumite (one day tai jitsu and the other kyokunshinkai karate) we use:

-shin guard (with instep most of us).
    -mma open finger gloves/karate gloves.
    -bucal protector.
    -groin protector.

-We use pao for various strike practice.

I was very glad of the instep in the shin guard in my companions when their kicks landed in my face.

10. gapjumper

Good advice. Like Dunc, I tend to use them for striking (people seem to stay sloppy with their structure until they see what happens when they hit something) and thing like training some kata with full force (highlights your balance issues too). And like Troy, it tends to be limited to the more experienced people. I wasn't really thinking about this thread discussing sparring per se.

I am looking to get some body protectors and saw some MMA (RDX?) ones and wondered if anyone had similar and if they were good enough to prevent damage from a sokuyakuken.

So specifics about brands and types of protection?

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've used this stuff With JWT (not Ninjutsu)

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzCZAqvW9g"]Spartan Training Gear! - YouTube[/ame]

And it's really good , I understand it's very expensive though.

12. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

This is similar to what I use:

http://www.awma.com/productdetail/2333-proforce-headguard-w-face-cage-black.html

13. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

With some adaption for one’s particular striking methods Hook and Jab pads are great for drilling accuracy and explosive striking, plus training the fast twitch muscles for speed work but from what I can see most striking systems don’t seem to use them enough but then again I assume they have their own methods to train and develop them attributes. A good military maxim for defeating the enemy is based on the premise of being’ first with the most’.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A bit of extra information :)

The Spartan Suit is similar to the High Gear suit though has had more development recently as I understand it. I have 3 suits and think they're excellent. Go to the self defence forum and look for any of JWT's Sim Day threads for examples of training using the armour. It's very, very good training.

The FIST suit is much more bulky, you could look at the Redman suit as a similar thing. These are designed to make the wearer a tank for absorbing strikes rather than a fully mobile target who feels them but will still be able to go to work the next day.

If you want realistic self defence training I don't think you can do better than properly planned scenario training using the Spartan suits, as delivered by JWT.

Mitch

15. gapjumper

They look expensive! (yet cool)

Ideal for the January sales on Oxford Street though.

A bit OTT for some basic Booj drills maybe.

I would love to get hold of some for an all out scrap...kukishidenryu style!

I keep seeing cheapish sets of kali armour, is that just cheap tat?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I haven't used the kali stuff, but by the looks of it, it wouldn't be anywhere near as flexible as the Spartan, so going to ground would be very difficult for example.

The Spartan can be worn with a T shirt on top so the wearer looks much more "normal". That also gives you an idea of how well fitted it is.

It is expensive, no denying that, but people love training with it, it broadens your training possibilities considerably and it is well made and lasts.

If you're in the UK get along to one of JWT's Sim Days and try it out for yourself :)

Mitch