Protecting the end of wooden staff weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aaradia, Sep 15, 2018.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I once saw a clip of someone protecting the ends of their staff by wrapping a cord/ twine around the end. It was a tutorial, and I thought I saved it to look at later. But alas, I can't find it! :( Apparently, my google-fu is weak as well.

Does anyone on here know what I am talking about? And do they know any video clips? Or can they explain it to me?

Is there a particular knot used at the beginning or end? Does one use wood glue? Does that work for cord? Or some other glue?

I have seen people at my school use electrical tape as well. Does anyone do that? I would rather do the twine as it looks better, but................

Are there other ways to protect the end of a staff from wear and tear?

I have a really good 3 section staff. And I have only used it a few months, but the ends are getting all beaten up. I know they don't last forever, but I would like to extend the life of it. I think I would like to do this to my regular staffs as well. They get all pointy after years of beating/ tapping the end on the ground in certain moves.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Not something I've needed, as I don't whack my staff on the floor much and when I do it's on soft ground outside, but I'm always up for learning a good knot or wrap, and a minute on youtube turned up a plethora of methods! :)

There are tons of different methods.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I've seen people use plastic caps or plasti-dip like you use to cover tool handles both to good effect. Also seen people do the rope wraps with cotton rope soaked in glue or epoxy.