Problem with thumb

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Wotonito, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Wotonito

Wotonito Valued Member

Hello, I was thinking about trying out boxing, however I have a problem with my thumbs that doesn't allow me to make a "normal" fist, whenever I punch a pad I end up damaging my thumb(s) one way or another, so my only option if I want to punch is to use the leopard fist from the Chinese MA's but Of Course that obviously isn't compatible with the giant gloves, and if I wear the gloves my thumbs get hurt whenever I hit something... Is it still possible for me to train boxing, with the leopard fist? (I know I wouldn't be able to do any sparring, which is okay)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Is the leopard fist the one where you strike with the middle third of each finger protruding? If so, that's a terrible way to box, although a great way to break your fingers/knuckles. Can you say why your thumb won't go where it needs to? Where does it end up sitting?

3. Wotonito

Wotonito Valued Member

Yeah that's what I thought...

My thumb doesn't bend the way it's supposed to, so when I make a fist the thumb is out as far as my knuckles, so if I hit a pad I end up striking with my thumb, which is pretty painful... I wasn't sure if I should just give up on punches and focus on my kicks or maybe just condition my hands for leopard fist and train in boxing for the stance / footwork, and just focus on attacking the throat of dummies since I wouldn't be able to hit anywhere else...

One time I did an uppercut on a tiny pad someone was holding, my thumb was sore for the next 2-3 months :( And when I told my teacher about my thumb, he said to just ignore it and eventually it'll put itself into a normal position. Wow. How many times would I have to hurt myself for that to happen?

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what is the exact problem you have? if possible, have you considered getting surgery for your thumbs? are you completely unable to bend them?

if you want to use the leopard fist, you'd be better off actually learning a style that incorporates it, the most known one being choy lee fut. alternatively, plenty of other weapons for you to use: palm heel, edge of hand, forearms, elbows, shoulders, head, knees, shins, edge of the foot, heel, instep, ball of the foot, even the toe tips in some styles. just find a teacher that is willing to take you without insisting on you punching with a normal fist. you have a medical condition, so i don't see why any sensible teacher wouldn't allow you to palm strike or use the leopard fist (not with the heavy bag though, the leopard fist doesn't really have enough support to do it safely) or whatever you decide to substitute the fist with.

all your boxing coach's advice will get you, though, is badly broken thumbs that will bother you for the rest of your life ¬_¬

5. Wotonito

Wotonito Valued Member

Hehe, I've actually taken CLF, after taking it for 10 months though I felt the only thing they taught me was the leopard fist, to not use it, and backwards falling, which I was taught to spread my arms like an eagle rather than keeping them somewhat close to me. Also while hand to hand sparring I wasn't allowed to actually strike my opponent (had to pull away before landing), which would clearly teach bad habits...
    I don't have the money to get surgery on them, and the only part of it that doesn't bend is the middle joint.

Side note: What is Willsy's sig? I can't tell what it is...

6. Fish Of Doom

take proper CLF then :p

any buk sing schools around? buk sing clf is very hardcore.

7. Wotonito

Wotonito Valued Member

None that I could find on google, So what should I do, focus on kicks and things that aren't punches, or try to develop leopards fist for punches to the throat, take boxing for just stance / footwork or?...

8. Fish Of Doom

developing the leopard fist could be tricky though (at least while minimizing risk of injury), but it's useful for a lot of targets besides the throat. neck, liver, solar plexus, groin, armpits, etc. edit: forgot the nose and eyes :evil:

i'd say if you wanna keep with the boxing, find a way to deal with your thumb, or again find a coach who is willing to accommodate your specific need for footwork due to your inability to punch with gloves, ditto for teachers that will let you not-punch if you go for another martial art (just be sure to stress to them that what you have is an actual medical condition and not something that will "go away with training").

as for what you SHOULD do, the answer is whatever you want :p. i'm just presenting options for what you could do for various reasons :p.