Problem opening threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Su lin, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Its all down to the quake a few weeks ago.

Things have been going crazy ever since.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I can open the kung fu ones now. Man you should see what Slip is up to in there Chimps. :p

3. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Can I just echo having a nightmare looking at, and replying to, threads.

Anything we can do at all?

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

As Anth and Saz said it's in hand and it might take a wee while to settle down.

I've found that I can go into any forum but I can't open many threads. The Off Topic thread opens the quickest for me (about 30 seconds give or take) and even then it's anything up to a minute plus before a thread opens for me in there.

Posting, for me, is okay, it takes several minutes for the post window to open and another several for it to accept my post after typing.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Saz said that she would see if she can edit the robots file (that tells the spiders what to do) last night but I don't know if she got round to it or not.

Last I checked we had over 120 of the things on here (a few minutes ago). Looks like Yahoo is having a major search - the other main forum I work on was hit by nearly 2000 of them in the past 24 hours. This compared to 7 Google spiders.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Right, this is getting stupid. I've edited the robots file myself and will see if it works. If it doesn't then we'll see if Sarge has an EMP gun to use on the gits.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The problem is it can take up to 30 days for Yahoo Spiders to recheck Robots.txt. They don't just read the posts, they cache all the information for use in the search engine.

Yahoo are notorious for this sort of shenanigans. 200 bots will crawl the site faster than 5 and get the info into their search engine faster, which is why they use this agressive method.

It might take a while for things to level out, but a big site like MAP can hack it more than the average site that gets slayed by these things.

8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Could this be why the Chat link isn't working either? Or is it being worked on again?

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

chat works, actually. i was just in but nobody else was there so i closed it about a minute ago

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Funny, apparently works on your end but not mine....

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'm in right now. try it and see if it works.

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Aw, nevermind...figured it out....the word 'CHAT' is no longer in use, just the icon in front of the Chat room....got to get some gett'n use to with this new look ;)

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not sure what's up... but jeez... some threads you click to respond to and they just go on and on and on trying to load but never load. Dump browser cache and start over and still same problem. Some here at MAP I just couldn't quote or respond to no matter what.:bang:

(example... tonight I tried posting a response in the 'Lack of Groundwork in Kung Fu' thread... but no dice. No matter how many times I tried. No love.

Is that just working out the kinks in the new forum software?:confused:

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Must be as I too am still experiencing the same problems...I'm sure in time it'll be fixed...

15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Slip - nah, think it might just be the threads that the spiders are hitting. Its eased up a bit (at least server load wise), so hopefully they'll be on their way home at some point in the next year or so...

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ah interesting... today MAP has been able to open about 1 in 10 threads I click on. I also noticed that often when I do get the thread to open and then post in it... it takes absolute ages to save the post and actually post it.

Driving me nuts. :p

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I have the same issue here Slip but most threads do open if given time. It is a pain. Especially at home since we have been having issues w/ the router and cable connections but her at "work" I have time to let things develope at their own pace! :cool:

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

MAP's going offline in 10 minutes for me to have a look and see if anything can be done to fix it.

There's 120 spiders on at the moment, the annoying thing is we can't make them go away either.

19. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

Any luck with this? Its still pretty slow here, threads are actually loading now but by god does it take a while.

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I thought I was all fixed yesterday but the slow problem is now back... :saz: