Problem opening threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Su lin, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm not sure if it's my browser, tried IE and Firefix but I am struggling to open up threads. Some threads dont seem too bad but others are timing out.
    Just wondered if it was my pc or other people were finding it too?

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

its the yahoo spiders eating bandwith ... anth's out with the bug spray...

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhh, good luck with it! :)

Can you kill the ants downstairs in my kitchen too while you are at it please? :D

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Yeah I'm having the same problem and some people have PM'd and emailed me asking what's up. However, I don't get the time out thing, it just looks like it's trying to load the page I want and goes on forever...

Nevermind, it's in hand like Sarge says.

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Whew! I'm not going crazy! Here I thought it was just me... or the stupid servers at school again :rolleyes:

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah, I got the same ting here! :(

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

should be fixed now... Im not getting it anymore.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Still happening on some threads. Not sure if it has anything to do with it being past 5pm on the work network though .

9. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Nah, I'm still getting it too.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Looks like its cooled off now, we had about 80+ Yahoo Slurp Spiders crawling the forums. They don't work like normal members and give the server a hammering.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Odd, am back at home now and I still have the same problem. :confused:

12. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

Im still having it aswell, been having it since this morning allthough im not having it on as many threads now.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Its the longer threads such as Grrrr thread, and most of the kung fu threads I can't load up.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Thats because the spiders go through everything in the forums. Obviously in the longer threads they'll take longer to check everything...

Just imagine if you had to read every single post on the entire site in the past 3 months - thats what these things are doing.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have no idea what they are or what they do but it sounds nasty!

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Effectively what a search spider does is it goes through the posts (and anything else we tell it not to) and takes "notes". These "notes" are remembered by the search engine it works for (be it Yahoo, Google or whoever). Whenever someone searches Yahoo etc for a term, the search engine says "I know where I saw that!" and it shows its "notes" it made when it went through the site last as your search result.

After a big search like its doing now it will go away for a while and we wont hear from it too much.

Its like a student revising - they go through their notes from the semester (the threads), make their revision/crib cards (spider's "notes") then sit the exam (the search question) where they regurgitate the answers (the thread links). They then don't go through it all for a while until the next exam, occasionally scanning their notes to keep refreshed (hence the spiders who pretty much live here).

Its probably a lot more complicated than that, but its the simplest way of explaining it.

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhhh, excellent explanation there Anth. Thanks :)

18. Topher

Topher allo!

I'm getting it at the moment too. Not as bad as earlier though.

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

I'm having to wait quite sometime to open threads?

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

It's not as bad as it was for me yesterday but I still can't enter any of the kung fu threads. I think Slips is in there, someone mod him! :D