Problem doing squats

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by N1N, Mar 1, 2010.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

No it's good.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I was just wondering what you thought of hindu squats.. I've recently switched to a body weight centric routine to work my endurance and notice that the form seems to contravine a few of your points of advice (specifically regarding the alinement of knees and ankles) ... are they a bad for you do you think? you seem pretty knowledgable about this stuff.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Contrary to what others have said, it actually can be bad for you. But it's probably not so don't worry.

It can be bad for people who have bad alignment of their knees due to overpronation and similar issues. Even if you can correct for it, it just takes more concentration to make sure the form is correct. So if you wear orthodics, it a good idea to wear them with shoes when squatting.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Hey, no problem. Pistols are tough. I'm no expert by any means, but I found going slow helps a lot.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't know if this will be of any relevance to the OP, but I'll mention it just in case.

I knackered my knees playing rugby back in high school, and thirty years on I still get pain there if I subject them to anything strenuous without warming them up first. Even bodyweight squats could potentially leave me in pain if I just dived straight in.

So I wonder, have you done anything in the past which might have damaged your knees?

6. Jaspar1988

Jaspar1988 Valued Member

How exactly did you go about fixing this? I ask because I was told I have the same issue with one of my knees; and I went to a physical therapist, and they gave me a bunch of different stretching techniques to help, and its been about 4 months now and it hasn't gotten any better. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you did.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Greatest sport ever created by man.

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

YES. I hope you're watching the Churchill Cup. The USA aren't doing badly actually. If only you guys would put some funding in to your team!

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You'd better believe it. I'm incredibly irritated as well since NJ is so close by but this weekend I'm stuck with my military obligations. That's always the way though.

There's a local team here actually and I've been desperately considering playing but the main problem is it's Tue and Thu practices with Sat games. The games would be the biggest problem as my off days are weekdays so I'd have to work until 7am, then go drive to the game, play, and have the mandatory drinking and carousing. With a family that's just too much right now. Maybe once I get better off days.