Pride GP (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by neryo_tkd, Apr 14, 2006.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

cro cop will not fight on sep. 10 in saitama against silva. he has not come to an agreement with the japanese. as always, it's about money. this weekend cro cop is resting in a little village where he comes from, and next week he is going to the seaside. he has got an offer from america and apparently he will accept it.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

classic. absolutely classic. :D

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

damn, i was hoping to see the fight cro cop vs silva, but then again, who knows, maybe we'll see it after all. who knows what's behid all that.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The only source I've actually seen on this is a post on Sherdog that's been copy and pasted around a couple of other forums and links to a Croatian article - at the moment I'm not putting too much faith in this since if it were true, most likely all the major news sites would have it up.
    The "American promotion" is apparently the WFA - they've got fairly deep pockets, but I'm still not buying it. If they did somehow sign Crocop, the UFC would have dropped the ball yet again by not signing top talent when they're on the market
    EDIT: Sherdog have since put the highlights of a sucky translation on their news page. DSE are apparently in contact with Crocop but declined further comment. Still smells like fish to me

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Doesn't make any sense to me

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i read the croatian article and cro cop said that he has been trying to solve the situation with PRIDE for a while but the japanese would not give him any answer. he was fed up with everything so he is on vacation as of this weekend.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

At worst, I think this is a negotiating ploy, at best (and most likely) this is something that's been blown out of all proportion the way things tend to when they get out on the internet. Crocop has very little to gain from joining the WFA - sure he'd maybe get the bigger cheques for the actual fights but over in Japan he's a huge star with more endorsements than you can shake a stick at. He stops fighting in Japan, that all goes away and he's fighting in a country where hardly anyone's heard of him. He'd be a big MMA star very fast in the US, but the market's just not there for him to make that kind of mainstream crossover. The only advantage he'd find in America, the WFA in particular, is that there's no heavyweight that would even last a round with him, let alone beat him
    DSE are allegedly in contact with him, so I see this being resolved pretty quickly

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i also see this solved very soon. i don't see him back off now. the belt is what he has always wanted.

9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Apparently this is quite serious, his teammates say this is for real.

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Stands to reason - if your boy's angling for some more money and/or a better contract (Mirko is on a fight-by-fight agreement rather than a long-term contract) the last thing you're going to do is tell everyone that's what he's doing
    EDIT: Oh, lookie what I found. Love it when I'm right :D http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/more/605988/index.do
    Here's a sucky translation:

Zagreb - After the news of crocop not participating in the pride grand prix finals the japanese reacted fast. They accepted every term that Mirko Filipovic has set and the Croat will participate on the 10th vs Vanderlei Silva.

- I'm happy because I reached an agreement. I will have a chance to make my sports dream come true after all, to be the undisputed champion in competition with silva barnett and minotauro- sayd crocop.

- With this move the pride people have showed how much mirko means to them. If he reaches the final his second fight will be payed, and if he was to win the tournament he will get a 150.000 dollar bonus.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Awsome, glad I was wrong

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hahahaha money talks :D

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

A couple more matches have been added to the card:
    Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro “KISS” Nakao (he of the infamous Heath Herring KO incident) and Yousuke Nishijima will fight Evangelista Cyborg. Nishijima was the guy who had a great standup fight with Mark Hunt recently (before TK) and brings very good boxing and tons of heart. Cyborg is the scariest looking dude in MMA, bar none, and has the Chute Boxe style of striking, but doesn't really have the cardio or ground game to back it up the way the more famous members of that team do.
    I'm picking Nishijima by TKO and Nakamura by submission.
    They should both be pretty good fights
    Source

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Two more fights have been added now: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Cyrille Diabate and Ricardo Arona vs Allistair Overeem (Source: Pride FC) making the full card

OWGP Championship Final
    Mirko Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Josh Barnett
    Sergei Kharitonov vs Aleksander Emelianenko
    Ricardo Arona vs Allistair Overeem
    Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro Nakao
    Yousuke Nishijima vs Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
    Mauricio Shogun vs Cyrille Diabate

How much does this card rock?! :D

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

It is good enough that I will be ordering it, recording it, and likely dreaming of it.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My final picks:

-Mirko Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva: Probably the toughest call of the night. Either man can win this one, but I'm going to go with Crocop. He'll know he's been in a fight though

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Josh Barnett: Nogueira by decision. Barnett will bring the fight to him, probably take him down and try to GnP him, but Pride judges like fighters with active guard games and will probably give him the decision if it goes to the ground. If it stays on the feet, it's still a competitive fight; Barnett won't knock be able Nog out, but Nog probably won't KO Barnett either so it'll be all about scoring often rather than who gets the first big shot. Nogueira's boxing's that little bit crisper and he's shown many times that he's got the cardio to keep it up for the whole fight. Either way, I think it's most likely that the winner of this one takes the belt home - unless Crocop or Silva catch a win quickly, the winner of that fight comes out very banged up

-Sergei Kharitonov vs Aleksander Emelianenko: If Silva/ Crocop wasn't on the card, this'd be the fight of the night. Kharitonov's one of my favourite fighters, but I rank Aleks too and there are a lot of variables here; namely how has Sergei's shoulder healed up and how has Aleks' conditioning improved? I'm picking Kharitonov by TKO

-Ricardo Arona vs Allistair Overeem: We may actually see Arona finish a fight here :eek: Overeem's a good striker with a big reach advantage, but Arona's takedowns and ground control are enough to decision most fighters. The difference in this fight is that Overeem always has crap cardio and has very long, submission-friendly limbs which together greatly increases the likelihood that the ADCC champ will catch ahold of one when Overeem gases out. That said, Arona's chin is pretty much always on display when he's striking so if it stays on the feet for a length of time, Overeem SHOULD be able to catch it. Still, I'm picking Arona by armbar

-Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro Nakao: Still going with Nakamura by sub. I just really hope Nakao doesn't try to kiss him if he's in Nakamura's guard :eek:

-Yousuke Nishijima vs Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos: Nishijima by TKO, I reckon, but Santos can make any fight interesting if they try to brawl it out with him

-Mauricio Shogun vs Cyrille Diabate: Important fight for Shogun as we'll get to see how well he's healed up from his arm injury. My pick? Shogun by repeated facial stompage after putting the hurt on the Frenchy in a big way :D

Roll on early Sunday morning

17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Mirko vs Wanderlei : Your right it is very tough to pick, but I will go with Silva via KO.

Nogueira vs Barnett: Nog via submission or decision.

Sergei vs Aleksander: I know squat about Sergei and I don't know much more about Emelianenko but what I do know is he has the same genes as Fedor. So that means I pick Aleksander via KO due to his genetics.

Yea I know it is a bit silly, but when in doubt go with the guy related to the champ.

Arona vs Overeem: I dislike Arona and as such I will pick Overeem mainly because I don't want to watch Arona lay on Overeem for the entire match.

-Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Yoshihiro Nakao: I also see Nakamura beating "Kiss Kiss" via sub early on

Yousuke Nishijima vs Evangelista "Cyborg" Santo: Nish is a tremendous boxer and should be able to pick Cyborg apart on his feet and Cyborg rarely brings it to the ground. Going to go with Nish via TKO unless Cyborg lives up to his image(he looks like a physco killer, but doesn't fight like a guy to be feared like Fedor or Silva)

Shogun vs Diabate: Shogun will win via TKO or submisison(verbal tapout) if he loses I will be shocked beyond belief.

So I see the final match being Silva vs Nog with Silva taking the win(mostly because I like him, which I know will help him get the win) and then going up against Fedor...then what we will see is goign to be a bigger version of throwing a tomato at a brick wall...the brick wall is going to win.

18. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Silva vs Cro Cop: I say Silva by (T)KO

Nog vs Barnett: Barnett will pound out a decision

Sergie vs Aleks: Aleks by decision assuming Aleks doesn't gas like his last fight I see him outboxing but not knocking out Sergie.

Arona vs Overeem: Arona by sub late in round 2 or early in tound 3 I see overeem doing good in stand up and arona getting some takedowns in the first then Overeem will most likely gas and Arona's superior ground game will get him the sub.

Silva vs Barnett: Barnett by decision Silva had trouble with Arona and Barnett is about 40 to 50lbs heavier than arona and will control him on the ground.

In the end I see Barnett taking it the whole thing.

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Official Weigh Ins for the event

Source

Tried to find it on Pride's official site but could't. it was also on Sherdog and other sites.

Vanderlei Silva (225.1 lbs.) vs. Mirko CroCop (220.9 lbs.)
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (242 lbs.) vs. Josh Barnett (255.2 lbs.)
    Sergei Kharitonov (244.2 lbs.) vs. Aleksander Emelianenko (259.6 lbs.)
    Ricardo Arona (204.4 lbs.) vs. Alistair Overeem (208.9 lbs.)
    Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (203.9 lbs.) vs. Cyrille Diabate (201.7 lbs.)
    Kazuhiro Nakamura (223.3 lbs.) vs. Yoshihiro Nakao (224.4 lbs.)
    Yosuke Nishijima (202 lbs.) vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (203.5 lbs.)
    Ricardo Morais (277.2 lbs.) vs. Lee Tae Hyun (294.8 lbs.)

Biggest news is that Silva is heavier than Mirko!!!

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

[EXPAND="GP semi-final"]cro cop just KOed silva.
    silva didn't have a chance at all. cro cop was aggressive from the very beginning, and that's the cro cop we haven't seen in a while. he KOed silva with a left high kick, but even before that moment, the fight was stopped because silva was bleeding.[/EXPAND]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006