Pressure points?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by coolpoosa, Dec 13, 2005.

1. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

I was recently looking in google for stuff to read about martial arts. I came across some topic about pressure points...
    It said something about stoping even the largest enemies in their tracks simply by hitting their "pressure points". I've never heard of anything like this, except in cartoons i watch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we really do have pressure points that you can hit to stop an enemy? By the way, i know that there are points in the body that have something to do with healin, would they be related to the attacking points? Or are the "pressure points" simply weak spots?

http://www.tigerstrikekarateequipment.com/maarprpo.html <---
    that site has a tiny paragraph about pressure point stuff. I search it on yahoo but i don't understand half of it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Watch a boxing match, see the bit where they hit each other in the chin andn they fall down? Thats a pressure point that is!

Kicking a guy in the nuts or smacking them in the sternum count as well, kidney shots, the sides of the neck, we are literrally covered in them. The thing is how do you actually define pressure points because some people will say they don't count for various reasons (That mainly centre around the fact that they aren't called pressure points by some wizened old chinese guy :D).

3. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

In Kuk sool won a large part of the curriculum is based around pressure point striking and manipulation, with the same points manipulated in a different way for healing. Someone will probably correct me but i THINK in kuk sool there are 367 pressure points either side of the body head to to toe making over 700 points. Some more easily struck and more having greater effect than others.

Aside from that on a similar point to SLINDSAY'S ever seen in an MMA bout when i guy gets clocked on the jaw or around the ear. There are some wicked nerves/bundles of nerves near the surface of the skin at these points that if struck correctly the bodies response is to dim the lights....

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Next time use the search function. There are several PP threads availible to peruse.

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Large and/or muscular individuals are more susceptible to many pressure-point attack because they've magnified otherwise small targets into barn-doors.

"Big muscles easy target", is one line I heard.

Rgds,
    David

6. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

Some of the best strikes utilize pressure points for motor dysfunction. ie: common peronial - outside of thigh, approx. 1 fist above knee.
    best to strike on a 45 degree angle from the outside quarter.

That's why RH kicking someone to their thighs with your shins are effective strikes.

But be aware also that using pressure points for pain comliance ... held too long causes an adrenaline rush in the person your applying the PP to.
    ie: mandibular angle pressure for pain compliance.

Some are effective some aren't as effective.

Eric

7. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

Some of the best strikes utilize pressure points for motor dysfunction. ie: common peronial - outside of thigh, approx. 1 fist above knee.
    best to strike on a 45 degree angle from the outside quarter.

That's why RH kicking someone to their thighs with your shins are effective strikes.

But be aware also that using pressure points for pain comliance ... held too long causes an adrenaline rush in the person your applying the PP to.
    ie: mandibular angle pressure for pain compliance.

Some are effective some aren't as effective.

Eric :D