Pressure Points

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Melanie, Feb 24, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sorry - that makes no sense whatsoever.

2. Jags

Jags New Member

why dont u believe wat i said, it must be because u believe something else wat do u think?

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Do you believe my watch is inhabbited by a gremlin that changes the time on the face? He is invisible and uses magic to conceal himself in order to prevent anyone from being able to see him.

Why or why not?

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd take the watch back! ;)

5. Jags

Jags New Member

i think not, because i beleiv that there is a mechanism iside ur watch either quartz, 21 jewel (like mine) or a kenetic aut relay.
    These mechanisms each with thee own way changes the time on te face (also digital watches sorry ppl, i keep thinking of anologue ones)

6. Jags

Jags New Member

lol!!! pgma

7. YODA

...or because my common sense brain tells me your wrong?

The something else I believe in this case is that pressure points are NOT where Chi "builds." I believe that pressure points in the main are a fallacy contrived by people looking for an easy alternative to hard athletic training - or by people looking to make a fast buck of those people.

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

On a side note, if the watch won't give you the correct time of day once a month, you got a female gremlin.

Jags, most people believe the same sort of thing about the body. No mystical chi energy, no chi junctions, just mechanics

9. YODA

Yeah Andrew - but mechanics doesn't sell very well to those looking for the ancient secret of the great mumbo jumbo tree :D

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

In that case for the low price of 36 easy payments of $108 I'll sell you a secret decoder ring. :D

11. YODA

ROFLMAO :D

12. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I agree that there are alot of Charlatans making alot of money out of 'Pressure Points' tactics and that even if you do know alot about them, you still have to train very hard to be able to use them within a fighting scenario.

I recently saw one video, which fortunately I didn't pay good money for, where the 'Master' was said to be hurting the student by Mind Control and doing Pressure Points by the same method of directing the power of the Ki to different parts of the students body...Strewth Mind Fu-Brain Jitsu...

Earlier I mentioned the Australian Bagua Tai Chi Chuan teacher Earl Montaigue. He's very outspoken about Charlatanism within Martial Artistry and Pressure point scenarios in general. I don't practice those (Bagua, Tai Chi Chuan, Kyushu Jitsu etc) arts but do have a couple of his tapes and they are very good, dealing with the practical aspects of Pressure points and not the mumbo-jumbo.

Also a very good book that deals in part with the subject is Zhao Da Yuan's 'Practical Chin Na' (Unique). It is the one of the best books on Chin Na that I've ever read and has some excellent notes on Basic Pressure points, which all work and none of that, 'Only hit this at quarter past three on a Saturday before a full moon' sort of stuff either....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2003
  13. SoKKlab

Sorry the first bit of the last posting is Yodas words as a quote, not my words...

14. YODA

Yes - I've got some of Earl's stuff too.

15. SoKKlab

Fantastic,
    Someone with some common sense...

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I find the whole chi thing hard to believe, it seems to go against modern medicine etc. But body mechanics are very complicated, especcially hundreds of years ago. So maybe theres a lot of truth to what they teach, but the way they explain it is wrong. A bit like somebody making up a supernatural way for a car to work, they might have got that wrong, but if they know how to work the car thats what really matters. If you know what I'm getting at :confused:

17. YODA

Yes - I know exactly what you're getting at. :D

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Whatever you believe in, certain parts of the body are more effective to hit than others, whether you are a hard training Martial Athlete, or not.

19. YODA

Can't argue with that Andy. :D

20. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

There are no certainties any more! :rolleyes: