Pressure Points

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Melanie, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

(cont. from above)-Like a kid w/ a new toy, I could not wait to take this "home" and play. -Let me note here that my school is in the heart of the southern "bible belt" and that I struggle hard enough to overcome thinly veiled racism against anything originating from an eastern culture. If I were to teach or demonstrate energy work or projection to the public or even my general students, I fear that there would be crosses burning on my lawn every night and some fool would try to burn me at the stake at least once a week. So when I experiment and play in these areas, I only do it w/ some of my adult dan students who are kind of used to Kwan Jang Nim David being a little eccentric, but KNOW iwill not do anything to injre them. They have enough trust that I cando things w/o telling them what I'm up to, so I can get a more honest and objective evaluation if things are working or not. II also can see how some of the Gm's feats get exagerrated as I have been accused of lifting cars w/my mind by one 20ish 1st degree who obviously has watched too much STAR WARS. As a former champion strength athlete, he HAS seen me lift an end of a car, but it was definitely NOT a "no touch" technique). Anyway, when I got back to my lab rats(err, black belts), I found that I was having very little success pulling off what I'd done in the Sat. play session. As I' keep trying harder and harder and straining, my wife is giggling at me beneath her breath. (after making the mistake of giving her "the look" that any thinking husband would know may work on kids. It's utter folly to give to your wife). She proceeded to explain to her muscle-head husband(no she didn't call me that) that he is not relaxing enough and trying too hard to force it and this will never work with that kind of approach. I should mention that my wife is a3rd dan who was a former top-ren ranked competitor on the NASKA circuit and has been teaching both yoga and tai chi for years now. She then proceeded to demonstrate on one of my other 3rd dans(who really didn't know what the purpose of all this was about) the energy buildup connecting what Leon showed us witha sequence from the yang short form. At 15 feet away, she put Allen out cold. I mean he dropped-big time. Not only did he not expect it, but really neither did we. We saw him swaying, but thought it was simply him fllowing her movements w/ her eyes. This kind of spooked her, but I have been carefully at play in the two months since. I never meant to bring our discussion of pp's to this area, but when you brought this up, I (probably unwisely) impulsively responded that I had personal experience that differed. Yikes. Be back to wrap it all up.

2. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Finally, Iwant to add to comments of GM's avoiding doing this. I don't know what is going on here or what his motivation was. He may have thought you might figure out too much. He might have been unsure of his ability at that time(this is a new area that I don't believe anyones gotten down really well or consistantly yet). Maybe he can't pull it off as you believe, and has seen others do tit and tries to fake it. I honestly don't know in this instance. What I do know is that I've seen and experienced enough to make this worthwhile for me to play and experiment with. As far as your comments about Leon and how if he could do this, people would be knocking down his doors. I know from experience that he's pretty guarded in this area and I know that many would see this as something against his crdibility. It may also require having someone having gone through at least the lesser kan and li to amke some of this work, as well. I honestly don't know that as a fact, but the ones that I've observed playing w/ this all have went this far at least. I know for myself, I somewhat regret helping to open this can of worms because to many on this board, it's most likely greatly damaged my credibility. That I would both have anything to do with or experiment in this area would mean to many that I'm either a nut or full of B.S., or both. This little section of my nearly life-long study of the arts and insight and opinions that I share will have less value to some now, I'm sure. _Before I forget, Mike Castro asked about coming down to play, and that is open. If you want to, I will sahre with you, however, I do ask that it's more quietly done and not in front of my regular student body. If we set up a time w/ my adult dans to play, that's fine, I just don't want the nightly burning cross/weenie-roast. Though on second thouth that could be good for fire walks, haven't done one in a while(let's not get into that one, please). Mr.Castro, you may be closer to either Will Higgenbotham(DKI 8th dan) or Jim Corn(DKI 7th dan-and there guy who is probably there most avid experimenter in energy production and use of sound). You can get their locations and contact info on the www.kyusho.com website. They are pretty open about this stuff and comfortable withit in public. I still am open for instructors as well.

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

When it says you're going to get disconnected, ignore it. Let it disconnect you. You can keep typing your post and not worry about it. Just make sure to reconnect before you try to post it.

Another trick is to right click on the text box and "Select All" then right click and "Copy" then paste it into your text editor (i.e.: notepad or whatever) and save it. You can type the whole thing in notepad then copy/paste.

But, generally, you can just keep typing, then reconnect, and post the message :)

Mike

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Not a problem at all :)

I've actually known Will for a few years and met Jim a couple of years back at an event Will was hosting. It was supposed to be a seminar with Ed Melaugh (sp?) but Ed got snowed in and couldn't make it. Will had already paid for the room for a half day and we had a handful of instructors in various things there, so we all chipped in to cover the cost of the room, then several instructors got up and taught. One of my instructors, Prof. Joe Lansdale taught some balance disruption from his system of Shen Chuan, and then he asked me to get up and teach some stick work, which I did. It was a good time :)

And, last year (or maybe it was '01) another one of my instructors, Guru Ken Pannell, was teaching a knife workshop at a dojo there in Nashville run by Steve Cooper (I think that's the guy's name). I was there helping Guru Ken teach.

Any chance you and I've already met somewhere in person?

Mike

5. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

The style I study has a little bit to do with presure points. It also has joint locks and throws in it. Lots of Aiki. George Dillman I would say knows a great deal about Presure points.

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

UFC Rules.

Butting with the head.

Eye gouging of any kind.

Biting.

Hair pulling.

Fish hooking.

Groin attacks of any kind.

Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

Small joint manipulation.

Striking to the spine or the back of the head.

Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.

Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.

Grabbing the clavicle.

Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.

Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.

Stomping a grounded opponent.

Kicking to the kidney with the heel.

Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.

Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.

Spitting at an opponent.

Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.

Holding the ropes or the fence.

Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.

Attacking an opponent on or during the break.

Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.

Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.

Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

Interference by the corner.

Throwing in the towel during competition.

I see no mention of pressure points here.

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

What do UFC rules have to do with pressure points? Go back to first post and read. Personally, UFC rules mean nothing to me, if I get in a fight, I assume the other person is trying to kill me. If the opportunity to use PPs or nerve strikes or whatever label you want to stick on them comes up, you bet your sweet patootie I'll use them. Along with every other illegal move against the rules.

8. Trent Tiemeyer

That was a response to the presumption earlier IN THIS THREAD that the UFC bans pressure points.

9. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Okey Dokey. Have to re-read, because I must have missed it. Thanks.

10. Trent Tiemeyer

No problem. I should have quoted. It's a big thread.

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It does raise the interestin issue of how we represent attacks on pressure points in our sparring. Gloves are obviously an encumbrance... actually striking your loyal uke's pressure points seems to be a bit heavy.

12. Jags

Jags New Member

ppl, u r discussing something that should be kept secret among dojos, unless dicussed fromarly. I think u r trying to learn more but this isn't quite the way, maybe a one2one email is better.

Personally, if u want 2 know about how time of day effects the pressure points email me
    on Kandola88@yahoo.com

p.s U MUST UNDERSTAND U JUST CANT TELL EVRYONE

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Bwaaaahahahaaaaaaaaa.........

Keep it secret - I'm not worthy :D

Bwaaaahahahaaaaaaaaa.........

14. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Good rule of thumb:

Secrets generally don't work, if they did they wouldn't have stayed secret.

15. YODA

Tadaaaaaa............ :D

16. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I haven't read every post in this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned, But I am surprised that the name Earl Montaigue hasn't been mentioned. He's a pretty legitimate
    authority on the subject with regards to the usage
    of Chin Na within Bagua, Tai Chi Chuan etc etc.
    His website is
    www.taijiworld.com

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Forgot to mention that obviously Pressure Points are a very big part of Chin Na etc. In fact Montaigue has alot of Vtapes on the subject...

18. Jags

Jags New Member

if u think secrests dont work fine, ok fine.
    erm. ..pressure points r junctions where the chi energy builds and then starts traveling round the body again.
    Happy!!!!!!!!!!!

wanna no more
    Kandola@yaho.com

19. YODA

No - not happy- don't believe it - sorry.

20. Jags

Jags New Member

when u dont believe something it is only because you believe something else, what do u believe?