Pressure Points

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Melanie, Feb 24, 2002.

1. gojutejutsuryu

gojutejutsuryu New Member

Melanie,
    Hi,... ... ... In Goju 'Te Jutsu Ryu we concentrate quiet heavily on pressure point strikes, nerve point manipulation, meridians, etc etc.
    It would take far to much time for me to lay down even the foundations of this side of the martial science, but a very good web-site that you will find extremely interesting is, presented by "Romel's School of Taijiquan & Dim Mak" (Accu-points or Pressure Points)

http://www.pressurepointfighting.com/public_html_mak_taiji_points.htm

Hope it helps,
    Good luck

STAY FOREVER YOUNG

gojutejutsuryu
    (South Africa)

2. gojutejutsuryu

3. gojutejutsuryu

Melanie: !!!!!!!!!
    This does not seem to be working.???
    Lets try it in 2 x lines.

www.pressurepointfighting.com/
    public_html/dim_mak_taiji_points.htm

4. gojutejutsuryu

Melanie,
    Thats it, at last,... ... ...good luck

gojutejutsuryu
    (South Africa)

5. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

A good reference on pressure points is "Dragon's Touch" by Master Hei Long. Amazon stock it.

First though, you need to have a very good, accurate technique. And then as mentioned in a self defence situation, the effects of adrenaline will throw your aim off by an inch or two....

Many successful street fighters/survival fighters use only one "pressure point": the chin. A hard blow here will shake the brain for a fraction of a second causing stunning or knockout. IMHO, a detailed knowledge of pressure points that goes much beyond half a dozen obvious basics is redundant.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Ya I agree, I read somewhere that it's easier to get knocked out by hitting the chin rather than the jaws

|Cain|

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

tho it's easy to find out PP's in body but it takes precision n real power to hit those except for some points like eye,nose etc.
    -TkdWarrior-

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

From what I've heard various people say, it seems pressure points can be more of a hindrance than a help during a fight, apart from the easy ones the Tkd mentioned.

Does anybody know of any online resources? Charts etc

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yea www.taijiworld.com/downloads/Free_books.htm
    it's good one but not comprehensive... Erle hav Encyclopedia too on Dim Mak...
    the one i hav learned(not complete) is Indian system(Marma Atti), n it is basically used with weapons
    -TkdWarrior-

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Not really. All they normally take is penetration ... not power. Many can be activated with relatively little power.

Mike

11. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Why would they be a hindrance? The only way they could be a hindrance is if you get hung up looking for them. That's true of *anything* you get hung up in.

If you go into a fight looking for a specific joint lock, you'll probably get hospitalized before you find it.

If you go into a fight looking for a specific disarm, you'll probably get hospitalized before you find it.

If you go into a fight looking for a specific takedown, you'll probably get hospitalized before you find it.

If you go into a fight with any kind of preconceived plan, you'll probably get hospitalized before you can implement it.

Pressure points, disarms, locks, takedowns, chokes ... even strikes ... are all "tools of opportunity" in a fight. Get hung up trying to find anything and you put yourself at a disadvantage. Take what's available when the opportunity presents itself.

But if you never train these things, then you won't know whether they're available or not and won't be able to take advantage of them even if the opportunity is staring you in the face for the duration of the fight.

They're all just tools. You have to train your body to reflexively find and take the openings presented with a tool appropriate to the opening.

Mike

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i agree with that much Mike many of PP r exposed but most of them r covered with good flesh/muscles, for ex on rite side of chest close to nipples they own't activate with little power but with good power, n hitting them wont' give u KO but drain all the power from ur oppnt, which will serve as set up for ur attacking set. there r some on inside of thigh n on ur butt which activates with real power frankly if u think they'll activate with little power then u'll be half paralysed by now because everyone gets good fall on thier a$$es once in a while...

n those which r exposed r known by almost every MAist n utilised by them(eye, chin, ear drums etcs)
    -TkdWarrior-

13. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

If it's the ones on the inside of the thigh that I'm thinking of, they don't take much power to activate at all ... just penetration.

A swift kick to those points with the tip of the shoe (doesn't have to be a powerful kick ... just have good penetration) will generally have a useful effect.

But ... I *never* rely on any one thing ... period. Anything can fail. Even something as rudimentary as a right cross ... there are people who can shake off my best right cross with a grunt and a grin. But while they're grunting, I'm going to be hitting them again ... probably with a weapon :)

If I hit a pressure point and it has its desired effect ... that's icing on the cake. If it buys me even a split second (whether it has any other effect or not) ... that's my intent. But, regardless, I'm going to be hitting him (or locking, sweeping, etc. ... attacking him) again.

Mike

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Ok fair point Mike, it was too much of a sweeping statement that I came out with.

I still have a few concerns, how effective they are when used in a messy street situation compared to a training situation. Do you go for a pressure point hit that you can't hit as hard and if you don't pull it off you could be in a bad situation, or do you stick to throwing boxing style jabs and crosses? In this way its not just another tool, it could totally change your striking style.

After being in numerous "real" situations, I don't feel like I'm in the right frame of mind to use them effectively. Although in time, maybe I will learn to use some.

15. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I attack anything that's open. In a fight, I don't think about striking points. I strike wherever there's an opening. But because I've drilled the awareness of some of the points into my body, it automatically targets them within the opening (hope that makes sense).

Mike

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I know what you mean, its just a matter of drilling and drilling.

What I've drilled doesn't always happen though :p

Have you ever used pressure points in a real situation?

I just wonder if they are as effective with your opponents adrenaline flowing.

17. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yes. But it was a grappling situation, not a striking situation. I was restraining my step-son (he was 19 at the time ... 6' 2", 180 lbs.). I had pinned and when he started to struggle, I placed my forearm across his cheek and ground into the points along the jawline. His struggling immediately ceased.

I've used striking points in sparring. Which is certainly not the same level of adrenaline as a real fight ... but there's still some adrenaline. I've dropped people to the floor, taken their wind, and caused a lot of pain with some relatively light strikes that were well-placed.

I generally have better luck using points during grappling than striking ... but they're there in striking, too.

Mike

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sounds good Mike.

Definitely something I should look into more! I have covered them, but obviously not to a high enough standard to make them effective.

I tried your link Tkd, couldn't get it to work, do you have any good links for that Mike? :)

19. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/accu.asp

That page deals with some pretty traditional approaches. I'm really more of a "JHH" (Just Hit Here) guy. But the traditional stuff is interesting and the JHH material is in it. And the page does have some illustrations of the meridians and their points.

I've uploaded the meridian charts that I use. They are big and easy to see. Unfortunately, I forget where I originally downloaded them. But I've put them up at http://www.guild-hall.com/pressure_points (I tried to attach the images in a zipped file ... but the file was too big to attach to this post).

One of the guys who taught me about pressure points, though, told me something that's helped me a lot. A lot of pressure points are found in the "pockets" between muscles (i.e.: inside the arm between the bicep and tricep is one of these "pockets"). Often striking or digging into these pockets will activate one or more points. This method has helped me a lot in finding the points. Once they're found, then they can be drilled. You can experiment to find whether they work better when struck or gouged. You can find ways to get to them in various scenarios and drill them.

Mike

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member