Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So, if you think about it, your disagreeing with Google, because someone who teaches you, said otherwise, but you don't know the qualifications of the person teaching you.
    It might be worth checking that out, especially with dillman's reputation.

2. Dead_pool

Its possible its a idiom only used by dilman schools, meaning you should be hit them ''first and second'', so its not literally what the word kyusho means, more like a statement of intent, just like the cobra kai and ''Pain does not exist in this dojo!'' or inded ''Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra''

Hannibal likes this.
  3. Supertramp1981

Supertramp1981 Banned Banned

i
    i don't know and i don't care, all i care about is if someone is trying to take my head off i can react accordingly, and if it doesn't work and i end up dead or in hospital, then i guess that means you're right. but for now, my truth is this is the best system for me. and if it lets me down when i need it, then I'm man enough top face the consequences, either that or ill just hit them with a chi ball.

4. Dead_pool

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be online debating it.

Also you should care, you spend your money and money on this, people shouldn't take be knowingly lying to you about things. (I'm not saying they are, just that if they did, you should care!)

Hannibal likes this.
  5. Supertramp1981

oh i do care i care very much, i just don't care about George Dillman, you seem to have a bit of a fixation on him, personally instead of worrying about lineage etc i would rather spend my time on more constructive thing like talking you;)

6. Dead_pool

Since Dillman is the source of all the kyushojitsu stuff, and in all likelihood your teachers teacher, that's an interesting opinion to have.

7. Supertramp1981

okay mate fair enough you don't like it, you don't like my uncle George, you've made that perfectly clear. but i love kyusho i love my uncle George, and i believe in chi, the easter bunny and father christmas. one thing i will say its a bit closed minded to say you don't like the film when you've only watched the trailer...

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You don't need to eat a dog turd to know its crap

Lily likes this.
  9. Supertramp1981

pick up that turd, smell it rub it together with your fingers, you might just be surprised

10. Hannibal

No it would still be crap

11. Supertramp1981

yeah but just because i say it works doesn't mean it works and on the same token, just because you say it doesn't work doesn't mean it won't. your opinion is exactly that, your opinion, i respect it, i simply ask that you extend me the same courtesy. good day sir

12. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Ahh Ok thanks - I'd read it as 1st 2nd rather than meaning it's over in the 1st second (of time)

What I'll say is, in my experience, it takes a bit of manoeuvring to set up a good attack to a kyusho. Of course there are scenarios where you can make a sudden pre-emptive strike or land one during the initial attack, but they're the exception rather than the rule

13. Hannibal

All have equal right to an opinion but not all opinions are equally right

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

@Supertramp1981 - I know you didn't ask for it, but my advice is to ask yourself "Will what I'm training in work if my opponent is immune to the effects of kyusho?"
    This is easy to test, just bung some gloves on and have a go

If the answer is yes then all good, but if it is no then I'd strongly suggest that you focus your training differently

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

My former teacher called it today (it was actually by accident, that we talked - well, have written- about it) "an add-on for locks" among other things.
    I think, from my admittedly limited, knowledge, that seems quite a fitting description, for lots of the things that get shown there.

If I remember correctly, one instructor told us, that it's also about knock out points and similar (chin, neck, liver shots, spleen, ...)
    I think no once will doubt, that these can work.
    I, by total accident!, gave my kickboxing tori during his grading in a light technical sparring a liver shot, and even than he would only defend e few seconds - and that wasn't a hard hit, luckily!

That for sure.

That person did Kyusho quite a disservice!

Hundreds of hours, and in the end your argument for the meaning is what a single instructor told you and no else uses?

I trust my teachers too, but when I have a feeling they might have something wrong, I'll just check it.
    Usually they say something along the line of "Oh, right, I confused it with xy!"
    I don't do it in front of everyone, by the way, but in private.

As a side note: I'm glad I'm not the only one who read "first second" like "1st, 2nd" and not like the time :oops:

Dunc likes this.
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note/ warning: For those that missed it, this thread spun seriously out of control. Supertramp lost his temper and broke our TOS over and over again. Threats, posting personal contact information, posting non family friendly posts with inappropriate sexual content & extreme profanity. He has been permabanned. There is no need to comment on him any further.

I just deleted 8 or so pages of his posts and responses from various members. Many of those posts did not break TOS. But they were responses to deleted posts, so needed to go as well.

But I will add that there were a lot of responses to Supertramp that were really not necessary or helpful or productive to MAP. Many of you are seasoned MAPpers, so I will remind you all that when someone is breaking TOS, the mod team would really appreciate using the report function instead of feeding a bad situation and making it worse.. Thanks go out to the member who actually DID report the post, so it could be handled.

The thread is re opened for discussion of the original topic. Further discussion of what took place is not appropriate here. If anyone has any questions or concerns, please PM any moderator.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent work, thank you aaradia.

For any less experienced people here I'd warn them not to be fooled by certain claims.

Yes there are pressure points and choke points, but if an instructor is claiming he or she can stop someone with a finger touch I'd be very cautious.

More than anything else training should be alive. We all have wrist locks, arm bars and knife disarms, but the question at all times is can you get them on under pressure?

Now of course you don't look for a wrist lock and only take it when it presents itself, but the opportunity still needs to be tested under pressure.

This at all times should be the default position.

SCA, bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Never has the old adage "Shut up and train harder" been more appropriate than in this thread...

bassai likes this.
  19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've always felt the regardless of whether the finger pressure points where "real" or not, those that claim to know if them are rarely able to even hit the basic targets in a live scenario.

There is certainly plenty of high risk areas to attack, but I wouldn't put them in the same basket with the type of claims from the 1 touch death crew.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That's pretty much what I meant before as well.

Liver shots and the such are certainly a thing; everyone that go knocked out by one, will probably agree there.

But those little "here, your finger needs to be exactly there, not half a centimeter more to the left"-points - a nice add-on maybe, but something to depend on?
    I'd prefer not to.

axelb and SCA like this.