Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Those were also separate things as I learned them, one being vital spots and the other pressure points. Of the few pressure points I learned in Hapkido, none of the techniques were reliant on them.

There was none of that "put your finger exactly here and focus your energy" nonsense.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sorry.Didn't mean to imply anything negative in regards to him.

Gee Willikers,Tom.Yeah,I ignored such things as scrotal strikes,strangulation,shots to the temple,elbow breaks,etc as I thought the discussion was not about "regular" target areas,or at least the "normal" attacks to same. After all, all targets are "pressure points" if struck w/adequate force, get kicked by a cow if you don't believe it.

I mean,we all know about these things.So including them in a thread entitled "Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?" ---Well I guess you're answer is yes,real.
    Except that's not what the thread was about.See Below.
    THAT"S what the thread was about,Tom.From the very beginning (go back and read the original posting) to now.

Hannibal likes this.
  3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Deontay Wilder is a Pressure point stylist if you include all effective areas as being "pressure points" - it makes the term so broad as to be absolutely meaningless

El Medico likes this.
  4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Exactly.Or to use an old term....Right On!

5. Hannibal

Groovy!

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One of the worst places I got hit in sparring was my funny bone nerve. My old knockdown karate instructor went for a punch to the floating ribs, I went to elbow block/cover it and instead his index knuckle went right into the notch where the radial nerve runs. I fell to one knee, arm was useless, started shaking and was out of it for a good 5 minutes. Not KO'd but a kind of localised and general shock.
    However...it was a very lucky/unlucky shot. I doubt he could reliably replicate the same result in many rounds of sparring.
    What he was going for (a body shot to a weak area) is/was a much more reliable technique.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Apologies for the abruptness but I was attempting to make the point that all pressure points are simple applied anatomy. the small target area points you talk about work in exactly the same why as the large target area points. Pressure points work by having an effect on the bodies autonomic regulatory systems through targeting a specific area. requiring only a moderate amount of force. This is what makes being kicked in the groin or poked in the eye a pressure point. Because a relatively small force applied in a particular spot can affect the entire body though automatic self regulatory systems.

It appeared that the argument was that their was no evidence for pressure points to work. I was merely pointing out that a kick to the groin is a pressure point attack (because of the way that it causes its effects on the body) and there is plenty of evidence that it works with well documented anatomical explanations. :)

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think I've ever heard or seen someone call a groin shot a pressure point technique.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

In the sense pressure point has become synonymous with weakpoints on the human body, yes. I belive i have seen it refered to in that sense and as a actual pressure point since thats a acupuncture thing as well. (pressure points are used for medicinal things as well i belive, dont quote me on it though)

I also have a question on this, would any of you call bending the elbow in the opposite direction a weakpoint/pressure point? (purpose to break it)

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are certainly better places to position the fulcrum relative to the elbow than others. And also golgi tendon type structures you can target (especially if you're using your forearm as the fulcrum).

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If hitting people, and locking limbs are "pressure points" then all martial arts are "pressure points", so much so the term is quite useless.

12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

It pretty much is that. All martial arts for fighting is to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible while minimising damage done to you. Just because the term has become synonomous with weak point now days. How ever pressure point isnt strictly a martial thing, which i think a lot of people here all ready know. (yes i have a TLDR stance on this thread. XP)

13. Dead_pool

Generally acupressure etc is as much unscientific bobbins as pressure point martial is.

(barring a vasoreceptor In the neck, and a few others)

Knee Rider likes this.
  14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Maybe you don't get out much - I have always understood a groin shot to be a pressure point technique. :)

No.

Agreed, if that actually was how the term "pressure point" is used, then the term would be meaningless, However that is not how the term is used. Once again a widely used meaning of the term "pressure point "

"a place where applying a moderate amount of force to the body has an effect on the bodies autonomic regulatory systems."

15. Hannibal

So basically anywhere?

Pretty useless description then

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Probably I've been talking across purposes - sorry

There's a japanese term kyusho which is used in TJMA to mean weak point, target area etc - i.e. very broad in definition
    In the west we use the term pressure point to mean something along the lines of a place where nerves are accessible

17. Hannibal

How does that differ from Atemi Waza? Or is it a case of Atemi = How you hit, Kyusho = What

18. Dead_pool

Ive heard it means "first second third"

Sorry, I jest....

Latikos and Knee Rider like this.
  19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In kung fu one of the functional understandings of the term is a place where the nerves, blood vessels, or airways are accessible.

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

No.

Specific areas where a moderate amount of force has an additional/disproportionate effect on the body. e.g the eye, larynx, carotid sinus, solar plexus, or groin.