Pressure Point Fighting

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by ppko, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He's a Karate guy, not MMA.

2. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

wasnt a no touch knockout MA'st from somewhere in the states covered by fox news just recently?

3. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I have studied form one Oyata's student when i lived in Kansas City Mo. Oyata can knock you out but that might be because he hits so dam hard. I mean you agree to stand there an he will straight out blast you not like that crap that Dillman does. What i have seen Dillman do from videos was light taps what Oyata does is hit with power. For Oyata being an old man he t'aint afraid of hitting you at all. That was the last time i would ever let anyone hit me and i just stand there that taught me! :(

4. founder5

founder5 Valued Member

I haven't read every post on here but noone seems to have mentioned Rick Moneymaker, Tom Muncey(dragon society) who I've never trained with but i have with Russell Stutely and Peter Holmes who are both awesome and if you ever get the chance to go and train with any of these guys DO as their knowledge of pressure points and how to effectively use them in fighting/self defence is second to none.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I seem to remember Rick Moneymaker's name as having come up in some discussions about legitimacy on other forums. Can't find the threads in question at the moment, but I remember him being discussed in a similar way to how Dillman is discussed. Which isn't too favourably by the majority of martial artists!

Still, if he's better than Dillman, he might be worth a look as long as you remain aware of the limitation of pressure points!

6. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

It's been a while since I last checked this site out. Since then, I've attended two of Taikas seminars and I must say they were tiring, but not in a bad way! He threw a lot at us and there were a few times where I think I actually heard my brain frying! His technique is flawless and he's strong as an ox. Now I am an orange belt, so things are progressing along pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  7. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

LOL I guess I've been away from MAP longer than you huh? Since my last post, I have attended 3 seminars. They are awesome!! He starts with some footwork, which he stresses the importance of, then he builds techniques on that a little at a time. Of course, if he doesn't think you are getting the footwork, you aint doing much else! LOL The training is intense, and detailed and you walk away brain fried, tired, sore, but happy and looking forward to the next one!

8. Yohan

I should correct this - I found out later that he's part of a Jiu Jutsu group.

9. Yohan

Wait, are you studying with the con artist or the other fighter??

10. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

LOL, I'm not pointing fingers one way or the other! LOL I'll just say I train with Taika Oyata's system

11. Yohan

Who is Taika Oyata? Is that the guy in the video?

12. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

OK, just so there's no confusion, go to www.youtube.com type in taika oyata and there will be no more confusion as to who he is. THEN type in George Dillman and see the difference in their teaching style. Good luck!

13. Yohan

I watched a couple of videos. I just don't know what to think about that kind of stuff. Regardless, I wouldn't want to be his student or go to his seminars. I don't really like getting knocked out all that much.

14. Yohan

Bwaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!

Czechoslovakia this video out - it's perfect. We've got Taiki Oyata pretending to knock out George Dillman, who pretends to be knocked out, right up until the point where he executes an excellent breakfall on the way down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHwRusYVJHI"]YouTube[/ame]

;) :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  15. Yohan

Or check this one out. Did you know that Taika Oyata's arms are stretchy?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqJ4Q3ncQE&feature=related[/ame]

16. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

LOL I understand. I was told when I first started that Oyata sensei won't knock you out if you are over 40. I turned 40 last year! WooHooHOOO. But seriously, there is more to the art than knock-outs. Look at www.ryute.com and do some reading. One of the links from that site is Polander, click on that, click the multimedia and go to the ryute festival, its a long video, but it's pretty inclusive with the exception of the bogu style of kumite we do.

17. Yohan

Dude I'll be honest with you. I would never take that stuff, nor am I interested in it. It's not really my bag. I like to learn how to fight and stuff, so I don't really like to spend my time standing around watching people get knocked out by being hit in the arm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a solid pressure point striking system - I've been involved in one and still would use it. That stuff is bogus though. I watched like 5 videos and he showed a bunch of nothing. I couldn't have learned a single thing from any of it.

18. Yohan

I'm sorry you are subjected to that stuff.

Would you like me to help you find a good martial arts school to go to? I think you should try out another school for like a week to see whether you like it or not. I really doubt you are getting your money's worth taking that stuff.

Don't get me wrong. If you are having a good time, there's nothing wrong with it, but for the time and money you are putting in to it, you could do way better.

What state is Lansing in?

19. Ryu-Te Newbee

Ryu-Te Newbee New Member

I studied Shotokan for over 20 years, TKD for 6 Shorin Ryu for 4 and BJJ for 6, so I think by now I'd know what I liked. It just so happened that I was looking for something that went deeper than traditional martial arts and I wasnt interested in sport-oriented styles. IMHO, the modern stuff is all flash and entertainment, so I went the classical route. Suits me fine and it definitely has brought my martial skill to a higher level of understanding. So there it is.

20. Yohan

Well I respect your freedom to choose whatever system you want. If you enjoy it, and it does what you need it to, good for you. As far as PP training, it looks totally bogus.

That's my opinion.