Pressure Point Fighting

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by ppko, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Fair enough, but these are different issues. And this is a thread on pressure points.

I'm not saying they don't work, although I do have my own opinions on how and when they should be used (and which ones).

And yes, regarding BAD technique, I can be quite vocal about that too - in the appropriate situation.

Mike

2. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

well, i have a question, are there any points on the neck/skull that you can hit to make someone fall asleep, i read a book about an assassin who would jab his thumb on a spot right under the back of the skull btwn the neck, and his victims would pass out imediately, is this true???

3. Mike Flanagan

Firstly, you shouldn't believe everything you read in stories. They are, after all, stories.

Secondly....However, there are places on the neck or head that you can strike to cause unconsciousness. Some of them don't even need to be struck very hard. Sounds great doesn't it! But these aren't toys to be played with. Every time you induce unconsciousness by striking, you cause brain damage. Some strikes may cause unconsciousness but will also traumatise the underlying tissues in doing so - this could mean severe damage to nerves or blood vessels. So to strike the neck is to risk cause severe & debilitating - possibly life threatening - injuries. So its not something to be done lightly. And certainly not something to be experimented with in the absence of expert tuition.

Mike

4. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

The day before yesterday (yes, xmas eve) I saw a program about superpowers ('is it real?' on National Geographic). They analysed fakirs (indian masters who stick swords through their bodies), derwishes (islamic mystics who put needles through bodyparts like cheek, arm, chest, head...) AND DimMak...
    this made me curious because I remembered this tread about PP...
    conclusion of the program through pro & con + scientific research was:
    "they believe it is real, thus the brain/mind makes it real... there is no special brainactivity nor hormonal influence (they showed all sort of scans), just human mind power..." I found it a bit disappointing, but for the sake of argument and to get the tread going again (it's an interesting argument when held cival...):
    "what do you think?" Has scientific researched showed us anything new about no touch KO? Is it just hypnotic suggestion? Is it like voodoo/hoodoo, it only exists if you believe in it?

browsing the web I found some movies of no touch KO @: http://www.leeroy.nl/kyusho.html (it's a dutch site), check extra's => video
    I don't believe this for a bit, but George Dillman (who they also showed in the National Geographic program) is a known figure amongst martial artists...

"are there any other video's in which they test this against other (perhaps not hypnotically suggested people)?"

grtz and merry xmas to all...

5. Kishu

Kishu New Member

Kyusho Jitsu

It is my understanding the Mr. Dillman appropriated the term from Mr. Oyata.

IMO George Dillman = Fraud

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Dillman is a liar and a fraud. And his excuses when his stuff fails against subjects who haven't drunk the Kool-Aid are lame. "It didn't work because he crossed his toes which short-circuited his chi." Honest.

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

LOL! - dont hold back tellner and Kishu. :D

Be nice to hear why you feel he's a fraud though? What grounds do you have for this rather public statement?

8. Kishu

Kishu New Member

If I can't touch you, I can't hurt you.

If someone believes in firing "Chi Balls" and knocking some one out then they are an IDIOT!

How can I prove that "Chi Balls" don't work? Why should I have to? The whole thing is stupid.

Dillman is a fraud. I have seen videos...

here
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-x4iJM2aU4&search=G-Nation"]YouTube[/ame]

Everyone who believes it is an idiot.

Geroge Dillman is a fraud!

Watch the entire video and see what happens when Dillman people try it on a scientist!

Dillmans excuse was both ridiculous and pathetic

9. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Whilst I can appreciate that people feel strongly about such things,
    I would suggest that you don't use the word 'fraud' as this may cause legal action to be brought against MAP and I for one wouldn't want that to happen.

Pressure Point Fighting is big business and franchises will be protected, at all costs.

10. Melanie

Let me clarify a few things here first of all - This is "your" opinion only....NOT mine or MAPs

Why should I have to? Because you said something that needs to be substantiated and stupid is not a reason - its what we become when things are not questioned and clarified.

Dillman is a fraud. I have seen videos... Let me sit down...you have seen videos...so thats enough reason to say someone is a complete fraud? I assume you have read his books, attended seminars (more than one) and conducted your own research on this in comparison with other Pressure Point Technicians - namely like Rick Clarke? (Dillmans polar opposite). Please provide evidence of this research - cheers :)

Pretty sweeping statement there - I have never seen Dillman but I would still rather validate any claims he has made by seeing it for myself than start saying everyone is an idiot...maybe I'm just unusual like that?

I'm not sure who made the video - it could have been edited to favour one side more than the other - video and books is not the way of the martial artist - if it is I have totally missed the point of my training over the past 6 years...

11. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah maybe "regarded as a fraud by many people" would be better :D All you're saying there is that other people out there think X is no good at Y er if you get my meaning!

12. LordofAnime+DND

LordofAnime+DND New Member

Regardless, elbow in the face is more effective. :D

13. Melanie

Valid point - I'll go with that ;)

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes that would be a better way of putting it.

15. Kishu

Kishu New Member

My God! Are you people idiots? :bang:

Knocking down people with "Chi balls"?

And I'm supposed to come up with proof that it is a fraud?

Come on, use what little sense God gave you.

If I say I can shoot Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles out my ass are you going to have to prove I can't?

Seems like you are so busy trying to be "open minded" that you are just willing to turn off your brain.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  16. Melanie

Er...well..actually yes...sorry about that... :)

Blimey - can you??? Go on - I dare ya :D

Not at all - but I could call you "really, really tall!" and you're only 5 ft - you would send me a photo next to a measure to prove it wouldn't you?

I have plenty of common sense - and I am opened minded too - I just like to see justified statements - opinions are allowed of course - as long as they are backed up with more than "I said so". If you can't back up your statement with justification, then I suggest you find another topic to discuss that you have more background and experience on.

17. Mike Flanagan

I know a person that Dillman said he would do a no-touch knockout on at a seminar. Dillman would even let the person attend the seminar for free.

Then Dillman retracted the offer, saying that they would have to pay to attend, and he couldn't promise to do any no-touch knockouts - he would have to 'teach what he felt the seminar participants needed to learn'.

I know this for a fact.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Mike

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I have to agree folks with this outrage. The Fox news expose and related anecdotes should be enough evidence to dismiss Mr Dillman.

Seriously, there is open mindedness and then there is dragging your brain out behind the woodshed and beating it.

- Matt

19. Melanie

LOL - I have heard the same things Matt - but thats not what Kishu said - he just said he was a fraud without giving any reason? Had he quoted anything like this Fox news expose then maybe that would have been enough - besides they have not posted that much yet and its only to have a go at others without substance - I just wanted to give them chance to prove themselves... :)

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Good point. I'm all for the referencing of proof. That's a good precident to take. I just was afraid that the above comments were ignoring the proof already mentioned in this thread.

- Matt