Pressure Point clip

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KenpoDavid, Apr 5, 2007.

1. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Some guys from my school are featured this week at Kyusho International's web site as Clip of the Week.

www.kyusho.com

click on "Video Clip"

-D

2. Liffguard

Liffguard Valued Member

Was that a technique that involved stopping a front kick by elbowing the shin? Please tell me that wasn't a technique that involved stopping a front kick by elbowing the shin. Please.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well technically, I think it was more, get out of the way of the front kick, and punish the person for trying to kick you in the first place.

Does that sound better? :confused:

I liked it, or maybe I just liked that the person was in pain :eek:

4. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Looked like that to me. Remember...I think they are Kenpo stylists...that's all I'm saying.

5. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

No wonder every body is dieing from being hit in the most easy an efficient way to hit that point i guess! :rolleyes:

In Qigong there is a Practice to rub that specific point on your own body though that would look wierd in a fight it would probly be more efficient an more effective in a fight than the elbow the shin on that specific point.

KempoDavid you study from Oyata or Dillman? I just was wondering. Yes i have meet Oyata! I use to live in Kansas City an thought about studing at that school in Independance, Missouri.

6. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

The point he claimed to be striking (Stomach 36) is actually about a centimetre or so to the outside of the shin-bone just a little below the lower end of the patellar tendon. Frankly I don't fancy anyone's chances of being so precise against a rapidly moving shin, if the kick was thrown properly. I could believe it more if perhaps he'd done something to slow the leg down a little.

Or I could believe it more if he'd simply elbow the inner edge of the shin pretty much anywhere along its length. But even seems to me to require too much commitment and too much accuracy/timing to work against a rapidly moving kick.

These guys are, as far as I'm aware, very much from the same mold as Dillman, both in terms of the way they use kyusho and their fondness for dollars.

Mike

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Wow. That was sad.

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ok let me start with the "fondness for dollars" What in that clip gives you that impression? You are either making stuff up or talking about something else altogether.

Gufbal, I'm not sure how much meaning you place on this very small distinciton, but we are not kenpo, we are kempo, from pretty much the same background as yourself (Villari etc). Some people draw a big difference between the Ns and Ms, but we are totally SKK, dudette :)

My teacher is part of Kyusho International, led by Evan Pantazzi and Jim Corn. They were with Dillman but broke away, because they wanted to work on practical, repeatable, results-oriented material. At least that's what I was told, and it holds true in practice...

But I don't typically participate in the KI classes at my dojo, so I can't really put much context around this video. Sometimes the classes are a creative exercise - find different ways you might hit these points. This might be a product of one of those exercises, I am thinking that might be the case because I've never seen anyone practice any technique quite like this one. maybe a similar step, then a downward block almost parallel to the kick...

I agree it seems crazy to try to "stop a front kick with a downward elbow". but I'm not sure that is exactly what is heppening here. (Dangit the video rotated out). But it looked to me like he was stepping outside it and attacking the leg from an angle not directly vertical. next time I see Seth or Jason I will get more details on what their idea was. I don't like the elbow here because the target is too low, exposes head to kick, and if you misjudge the angle you might end up getting kicked in the elbow. However, I've seen some pretty crap-tastic kicks thrown in bar fights and this technique might be pretty effective in that arena LOL might not be a good idea vs CroCop though.

I just noticed that the new clip of the week is also at my school, our teacher Shawn Steiner delivering an elbow to the stomach meridian.

9. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

You know I have always wondered, there are so many people claiming they can put anyone down with pressure point stuff and equally as many (more intelligent) people claiming its BS. So why doesn't one of the pressure point masters get in a cage and prove it and silence all the non-believers!? This isn't like the eye gouge argument as there is nothing in the rules of MMA that prohibit pressure point attacks. So what aren't they out there proving what they do works? Oh yeah, cos deep down they know its a bunch of crap and are afraid of getting seriously hurt by a real fighter.

10. BigBoss

Wait after seeing this clip I completely take back what I said, you pressure point guys are the real deal!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzBL2dHMI"]'The Human Stun Gun' Investigation - YouTube[/ame]

I'm off to find me someone who can teach me how too do this!

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

He looks like David Blunkett's fat brother

His students are the ones that make me laugh, very strange.

Might as well go to acting or drama classes :rolleyes:

12. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

No Hands knock out! oooooo, do you mind if I train with ya Bigboss?
    While, I don't believe in the no hands knock out, pressure point fighting from my exp. is pretty effective. Most pressure points I have been shown though are near major nerves and arteries, striking these areas do cause a shock to the nervous system. So far I have seen nothing like what is claimed, i.e. paralysis, blindness, KO (except in the neck where a shock can effect the brain greater).
    However, I have seen the techniques manage to make a opening for more brutal attacks. Take grappling for example, we use a tech where you grab right up under the armpits with four fingers and have the thumb up near the shoulder joint. Grasping here hard enough with a slight rub, does cause the arms to go limp or weak momentarily. This is because there is a cluster of nerves here as well as the main artery for the limbs. So to me these instances make sense, just basic anatomy and physiology.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You have to understand that many martial artists could give a toss about combat sports.

14. BigBoss

Ah yes, I forgot, even though what they do doesn't last 5 seconds against a real fighter in a cage, it is deadly in the STR33T!!!!!

15. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Pah, you try your dim wit mak with me and I'll lift my toes at you!

16. Mr Punch

Or I might just put my tongue in the wrong place: like here :p !

17. Mr Punch

Or I could just [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_qg5d1YGI]...not believe you?[/ame]

Pressure points hurt. There are lots of them. Hit someone in the jaw, base of the nose etc and you'll probably hit one. Aim for them, you're gonna hurt a lot more. Simple as that.

If you're in a superior position and have bought yourself some time you may be able to use them, like pushing down on the inside of the thighs to prise them open as you pull out of someone's guard... but you could maybe better spend the time doing something that's more useful... like punching him repeatedly in his head or stacking him or something...!

18. Yohan

:rolleyes:

Keep riding that nut, big boy.

19. BigBoss

Well why don't you just step up an silence me! According to your profile we don't live in the same country so it wont be possible for us to meet up. But why not get an MMA fighter, kickboxer etc. (a real one not a friend pretending to grapple) and show me how your pressure point stuff works and film it and post it here!? I don't understand surely even if all you chi men were against ring fighting it would be worth one of you just stepping in to a ring and using your pressure point stuff to defeat a real opponent just to shut everyone up! Think about it every time people said pressure point chi stuff is BS you could show them your video of you (or your instructor) using it against a real opponent and shut them up. Why not? it would just be one fight and after all with your deadly chi stuff you would be able to win with ease. So why waste your time arguing online when you could be the first of all the chi men to step up and silence the critics?

20. Yohan

Because I could give a :eek: less. My instructor could give a :eek: less. Last time I checked, I wasn't arguing, and I won't even give you that pleasure if the only debate technique you can use is straw man! :D

P.S. Another good reason for me not doing it is because I'm not skilled enough. I'm not even intermediate within my style. I'm still a beginner.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007