press ups with a ball

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ghoul, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

i was recently told my my kung fu instructer that i should buy a small ball for doing press ups with, im guessing you hold the ball agaist the ground and do press ups from that position,

hopefully you guys can shed some light on this, is it more difficult, what would be the point of the ball, and roughley what sized ball are we talking about (i should really have asked these things in class, but was alittle distraced by the class and dident really think about this till i had left.

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I'm not sure what he wants, but if he only mentioned one ball, im guessing you would rest your feet on it. Or maybe just close grip pressups like you suggested.

I, personaly could suggest a myriad of better exersises, providing your goal is strength/speed/power.

3. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

yes,
    at the moment we do a good 50 on the knuckles, 40 finger tips, 30 palms, 20 fingertips touching (tiger pressups) and 10 back of the wrists , maybe i heard wrong i guess i'll find out more next lession, ether that or i was hearing things

4. Flippy

Flippy New Member

5. RRForeverZ

RRForeverZ Valued Member

tiger pressups? what are those? is that where your hand is like a tiger, with the fingers bent and not like a spiderweb as with the normal fingertip pushups? pic?

6. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Pushups on a swiss ball....killer stabilizer workout....lol.

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Haha, thats not a stabilizer workout. 10x3 overhead squats with wobbely weight bags is a stabilzer workout! :D

8. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

no no no no no!

I think he means get a basketball or a medicine ball and put your hands on it and do pushups. They are quite a bit more challenging than regular pushups.

9. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Same concept as the swiss ball, except.....the swiss ball is harder!:D

Prophet, you and your rocks...:p

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The way you or your sifu stated it is rather vague... but here some images and some links to several things that might interest you.

None are be-all end-all of fitness but most can add some challenging variety to a workout, are harder than they appear and give the stabilizers a workout as well. Some of them are a staple of a boxers workout.

At any rate... you should get a medicine ball... it can provide a massive range of variety to any work out. It is in my opinion one of the best tools for adding weight/resistance to dynamic movements.

Med balls when used properly can improve punching power dramatically and can blast your mid section in ways you never thought possible.

I started out with an 8lb med ball and worked up from there. Medicine balls are not seen in too many gyms these days... they are somewhat of an old-school piece of equipment... but they are one of the best and most effective tools for training... especially as it relates to martial arts.

Enjoy: :)

The links:

http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/PushUps/PushUp-MedBall-1Hand.html

Your classic uneven press up - here a med ball is used

http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/PushUps/PushUp-MedBall-TStabilization.html

This can be a killer press up... for a slightly different approach use a dumbell instead of a med ball. This will work your stabilizers and your shoulders. Start out light... this has benefits for your rotator cuff as it works your posterior deltoid - the part of the shoulder most prone to injury and the one most forgotten by people working out the deltoids)

http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/PushUps/PushUp-MedBall-2Hands.html

This can also blast you. Most people are suprised how hard this can be.. it requires a lot of balance and works your muscles in a way your don't normally get around to. Much more difficult than it appears.

Below are the pics as an example... enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  11. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

The two hands one is what I was talking about. You can to all those with a basketball too.

I don't think you can do those with a swiss ball unless you mean put your feet on the swiss ball and your hands on the medicine/basketball... If the smileys worked I would use the bulging eye dropped jaw one right there.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

On top of that... if you can't find a med. ball in your area and don't want the hassle of ordering one... you can very easily make your own.

And old basketball is perfect... A bit of sand or other weighted material and that distribute evenly and a roll of duct tape and your in business.

Though granted many of these homemade ones will not work 100% like the store bought ones. Nike makes a decent series of med balls in different weights and so does Everlast.