preparation for exams in short time?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hello,

I am not so much of a regular practitioner as I have work and some personal commitments which deter me to seriously train in Japanese Martial Arts. For the past 6 months I learnt only katas and I never got the chance for sparring and randori.

On top of that most of my time is spent at work or in other personal commitments. so, I really don't have much time to train for myself. Just yesterday my sensei told me that I would be having exams in 2 weeks.

I am in such a predicament. Is there any way where I can catch up the lost time and also regain my endurance so that I can be fit for exams in 2 weeks?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

If your teacher says you're ready, you're likely ready. People don't set you up to fail like that. Train hard, train smart, have confidence in yourself and your teacher.

3. Sarute Uchizaki

well, maybe you're right. i've got 2 weeks left. i was able to do some shadow boxing, weight training and some flexibility exercises so far. i've got more to do.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What will you be tested on? If it's compliment application of the syllabus and kata then you'll be fine if you know it. What belt level are you testing for?

I personally wouldn't sweat it. If you pass you pass if you don't then do it next time when you've been training properly.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Of you know what your being tested on, its best to practise that instead of shadow boxing etc.

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

If you're training for say a black belt test and have to be in tip top shape for the sparring and calisthenics portion of it, I would say 2 weeks is too short but you can get damned close. If its an underbelt rank, you can definitely get by with just reviewing your curriculum. Surprisingly, doing kata full out with intensity is a very prime way of working out.

7. Sarute Uchizaki

application of syllabus and kata is not a problem for me but I will also need to fight against 4 to 6 people and finally have an one-on-one fight which form part of my exams.

8. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Well then .. if it's that, you might as well practice doing that haha.

If that's not reasonable, train your footwork.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Surely a 1 vs 6 will be harder then the 1 vs 1?

Either way its too late now, good luck!

11. Sarute Uchizaki

sure it will be hard but I don't want to back down on that. Thanks!

12. Knee Rider

I'd imagine the intent and contact must be low if its one vs 4-6 simultaneously??

What rulesets are you fighting under OP?

Is it this weekend?

13. Sarute Uchizaki

well, thanks very much guys for your advice! I did pass my exams. It consisted of application of techniques, kata and 1 on 1 full contact fight. as far the fight was concerned, I got defeated but I did not give up. Application of techniques and kata were successful.

I'll soon get the results!!! =D

14. Knee Rider

Well done dude :)