Preemptive strike

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by neems, Nov 13, 2015.

1. neems

neems Valued Member

I was just an idiot when i was younger,particularly after a drink.
    Not aggressive,just stupid.
    And I've worked on doors and as an SD since,which led to other references.

If I was in that guys shoes I wouldn't leave while he was still aggressive,I'd be thinking :

There are staff working who will probably call the police if he kicks off.
    There are witnesses here.
    It's light in here.
    The floor isn't slippery here.

I don't know what this man was thinking,but he was within his rights to stand his ground and doing so isn't necessarily a bad idea,every situation is different.

If he got into an argument with someone else or goes for a slash I'd be out of there like a shot.

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Sure, every case is different. Thinking from a moral and legal standpoint however, if he was with someone he cared about, their safety(and his own), would be more important than any ****ing contest. Gesturing a guy on, showing posturing that could be shown by experts to be him weighing the other guy up in order to take a shot, and other behaviours not consistent with him wanting to get out of the situation all point to one sort of outcome if it became a legal case.

If you were working doors or involved in some kind of security position, the thinking, responsibility, and requirements would all be completely different. If it was me and the girl I was with meant something to me, I would not be standing there sizing a guy up, but thinking of the safest way out of the situation. Not getting into a verbal confrontation in the first place comes to mind, but we don't know how it all started so it's hard to say either way.

3. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Or combative manouvering in combination with agressive body language can very well give the other guy something to react to. What I'm getting at is that its no argument rhat the ko'd guy being threathening in his funky kunfu pose if punchyguy started posing first

Nobody is perfect no, but being trained in a martial art does mean you have to conduct yourself in a higher standard legaly and morally. M.A. = your body is a weapon. If you can't be responsible, then that is on you.

actualy, you are obliged those things. At least if you want to call it self defense.
    Especially if you want to claim a first strike as self defense.

Maybe doesn't always work, but it you should at least try. You'd be amazed how many fights you can avoid if people get the message you are not challenging their feelings of social dominance. It at least saved my life once where being stuborn and combative would have gotten me shot.

Using violence is a last resort, so you gotta use your othe resorts first. Eggin the other guy on "come at me bro" style like in the vid at least doesnt seem like a suitable optio to avoid violence no?

Exactly my point. You cant call something a strike in self defense if the guy is perfectly willing to escalate the situation into violence.

Violence of any kind or extent always carries the potential for lethal & permanent consequences.
    Thats why you should go for other options and avoidance. You cold die or get stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. The other guy could too. And even if you dont care about that, bystanders are at risk too. Are you prepared to have that responsibility on you? Becaus it becomes *your* choice and then responsibility if you ha other options.

Just because someone else is starting something is not a free licence to punch them in the face.

4. neems

neems Valued Member

@please reality + hairnosora

All good points,but I wouldn't condemn someone for running away when it would have been safer to stay put or vice versa,so assuming he judged it right/safer to stay put, is posturing yourself to strike if/when necessary a bad thing?

We all do it,just he wasn't subtle,but again he probably doesn't train to be.

You're definitely right in that the way he stood,cocked his hand etc looks very bad,but imo it could be argued he just doesn't know how to play up to the cameras and misjudged the mentality of his attacker,there's no way he was going to intimidate him into going away.

As for his taunt,I'm guessing he thought that would intimidate his attacker,obviously it didn't work.

5. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

That is one way of looking at it. But you could argue for anything being correct self-defense this way.

You can look at it in a certain way in a certain context.

But here is my question.. in general or specifically in this vid, how do you tell a self-defense situation where one person is an aggressor and one person is an unwilling target of aggresion, and when is it a situation where two people are just being combative asses?

Because you can make a case for the guy looking like an ass to defend himself. But how do you know he was not just, y'know, being a ass?

6. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Its assault when that filthy animal of a woman spits on him and hits him on the ground.

7. neems

neems Valued Member

It's simple to me,if you attack (or appear you are about to) someone you'd better have a very good reason,'he didn't walk away' is no excuse,neither is 'he antagonized me'.

I'll have to look it up but i remember a quote to do with the amount of force used for self defence.

Something to the effect of 'You are not expected to weigh up to a nicety the amount of force used' which is imo is a very sensible guideline in a high stress environment.

Imo it should also apply to the choices made when being threatened.