Pre Navy SEAL Conditioning.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ranzan, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Im used to swimming with fins one more time going to dive school and i can be a master diver, when i lived in canada i would go out in the ocean and swim with fins for practice for my diving tests. Yea i know running is what im lacking in the msot at this point as sooon as i get used to 90 degree whether im going to start running in full sweats as suggested in one of the posts above. thanks for your help and thanks for the site el guapo very usefull

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah all that is good stuff... but swimming for diving and being a master diver and all of this is all fine and well... but it's about what you're currently doing on a regular basis not what you've done.

That means swimming to meet their requirements and exceed those requirements on a regular basis. Open water swimming, swimming using different strokes, and swimming wearing gear will probably be some stuff they'll put on you.

Most people can swim.. most people aren't swimming at a level that you need to make selection. Big difference. Just food for thought.

3. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

yes good point ile start more work out in the morning swim and run at night

4. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Royal Marines aren't special forces. But as a former bootneck myself, I agree with your point - people shouldn't start spouting off about thinigs they don't know about.

Some good advice has been posted - plenty of running, plenty of swimming. Maybe follow the Crossfit program too, I believe the Navy SEALs use this program extensively to maintain their operational fitness, so it may stand you in good stead for selection.

5. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

I'd second the crossfit recommendation - I know a few serving Marines and RAF Regiment guys who swear by it. Short, intense, and good results = Spec Ops dream workout.:cool:

I would also start thinking about the mental side of things - It doesn't matter whether you can do all these wonderful things or not, can you do them when tired/exhausted/hungry? Can you do them day after day? Can you do them, and then do it again, simply because the instructor tells you too?
    The mental side is where a large number of people will washout....don't neglect that side of your training!!

6. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Thats right, the mind always fails before the body. Sounds cheesy, but the key thing to remember is to never give up. No matter how knackered you are, how much in pain, how much you think you cant go on, just keep on keeping on. Some people can do it, some people can't. Hopefully, you can.

Good luck.

7. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

What he said - mainly quoted because that's an ace user ID!

Re: the training. As already said - make sure you can meet and exceed the expectations. If you've got some in reserve, boy will it help you - you'll be able to encourage and motivate your mates, which will be a massive bonus. It's not all about you.

8. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Good shout - when it comes to the military, its never about the individual. As a team you will motivate and help each other throughout your basic training and throughout your entire career. You will find yourself performing better than you ever thought when you look across at your oppo's and see they are suffering the same as you.

Whilst you train for selection, push yourself until you cant go on. And then go on some more. Once youre in basic, you wont need to worry about pushing yourself - there will be plenty of PTI's helping you along. Theyll be telling you how sh*t you are and you may as well quit - its a tried and tested method thats proven to work, the feeling of "Ill show you" will keep you going.

Run. Swim. Pressups, pullups, situps, leopard crawls, rope climbs, squats.... the moral is mix it up, push hard, exceed your personal bests as each week goes by. Then, once youre in, theyll get you proper fit, dont worry about that :)

9. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I'm in the RAF Regiment about to deploy in Iraq.

I can't offer specific advice about joining a US military unit much less an SF one however; cardio vascular fitness should be your number one priority closely followed by a mentality of never quitting.

Its important to remain goal orientated and not over do your training, you've got time on your side so train smart and don't get into a circle of injury.

Good luck

--Dave

10. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Good luck in the sandpit Dave. Keep your wits about you and look after your oppo's.

Safe trip.

11. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

good luck in the sandpit my friend is deploying from here in march they just got him right before he went in to sign his papers for SF school, good luck and dont come home in a body bag Hooah!

12. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Seriously mate, dont say stupid sh*t like that. Ill let you off because your only 15, but think about what youre saying before you type gung-ho movie-quote b0ll0cks like that. It makes you sound like a nob.

13. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

LOL alrighty there buddy im 17 and what do you mean stupid **** not from gung ho movie almost every soilder i know says it. think before you say ****

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Next person to swear can have 3 days in the sin bin.

Having worked around lots of Forces guys myself I'll say that yes, US guys say that Hooha stuff. But nobody else in my experience does, it must be a culture thing.

15. NippleClamps

NippleClamps New Member

Apologies for the swearing.

Just trying to point out to our friend that British troops dont go in for the old "Hoorah!!!, dont come home in a body bag..." kind of thing, certainly when I served we just kept our heads down and got on with the job, professionally but always with a 4-tonner full of dry wit.

Anyway, no big deal... :topic:

16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

ok back on topic i like working out everyday im at the gym benching will this affect anything ? i try to work on flexibility as much as i can but sometimes i feel tighter than i used to.

17. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I go to the recruiter on tuesday so i take my first step and get to sit on a boat for a year before im able to go to BUD/s. Do any swimmers here know of a style of swimming that will especialy target my cardio? Thanks.

Ranzan

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

SEAL's acceptance isn't guaranteed. Where I used to work the SEAL teams would train in jungle training and UW demolition. They would tell us that basically you are cold, wet, sandy, and exhausted about all the time. You don't eat enough, sleep enough, and small injuries are to be ignored. You will swim like a fish, do pushups by the thousands, and can quit at any time. Its 80% mental and 20% physical. You have to WILL yourself to do it at all times.

Look at the end goals and not the temporary pain your going through. Pain will end, the comraderie you will experience as a SEAL outweighs EVERYTHING! Good luck and keep us updated....

19. ross-24

ross-24 Valued Member

I'm going to say freestyle as that one's the hardest to breathe.

20. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Oh me and batman got in a fight
    It lasted all day and lasted all night
    So I stomped his head in with the back of my heel
    Now me and lois in the Batmobile!

That at the superman cadence are my favorite USMC PT songs to run to.

Big ups for trying out for that trident. The people I give the most credit to are SEALs, Marine Force Recon, Delta force and Rangers. Hope you like sand sandwiches! :evil: