Pre grading nerves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taffyleigh, May 6, 2008.

1. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I'm due to do my 1st Dan grading next Tuesday, feeling nervous as hell. Its taken me nearly 13 years to get this far and i don't want to make a mess of it, how did everybody else manage before their grading?

2. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Go do something relaxing the night before, to get your mind off of it (that does not include getting drunk). Get a good nights sleep. Eat a good breakfast before (if it's an early test, make sure you're up early enough to eat & let it settle). Meditate before it starts. And most of all, have fun with it! You wouldn't be grading if you couldn't do the stuff, so enjoy yourself!

Best of luck!

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

By being exceptionally nervous. Nothing else you can do really. Then just getting up and doing your best regardless.

~Edit: Oh yeah, Cait's hit the nail on the head: make sure you eat and drink enough to give you plenty of energy.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Focus your mind on the good things you do in the grading and ignore your mistakes - they are the examiners problem. Keep your focus on what you are doing at the time, not what has already passed in the grading nor what is to come.

In my grading for Shodan I can still remember the gasp of the crowd of already graded kyu grades watching as I did the wrong opening move of a Kata. I did Bassai Dai instead of Kanku Dai. Until I turned round I was just thinking to myself "nice move" - then I spotted the other two guys in Kanku. The only thing left to do was to continue the Kata with all the focus I had.

5. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

thanks, the grading isn't until the evening, just hope i don't have too bad a day in work. My biggest worry is my fitness, i've put on a lot of weight since my injury last year and have been unable to lose it with the diabetes complicating things. Also my regular training partner who is supposed to be my partner on the night isn't able to make training tonight, so i can't do a run through of my grading plans with him. We always swap around training partners but its nice to have a regular one for the grading although i know Alun will also get all the biggest guys to come at me after doing the demonstration stuff and this is where the fitness side of things is bothering me. As far as i know the plan fopr the grading is as follows: start with footwork and evasion(normally 2 evasions and counter on the 3rd attack) so i will have to show several ways of doing this(although in a real fight we wouldn't let the attacker have that many shots at you), then onto the main demonstration, which we do each technique twice, the first at a slower speed to show exactly what you are doing then a faster full on version, then onto knife disarming and gun disarming techniques, after that comes the bit i am dreading the 2 possibly 3 man attacks, by which time i might not have much energy left!!!! I think a few cans of red bull might be handy!!!!

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I would advise you not to take Red Bull. You would be better having a good slow release carbohydrate and protein main meal at lunch, having no more than your normal daily caffeine intake and then just have a very light snack at tea comprising both fast and slow carb.

7. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Too be honest i've only ever tried red bull once and i didn't get on with it. I normally use isotonic drinks when training, helps keep my sugar levels steady.

8. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Agreed with jwtitchen.

Also, your instructor should know what you've been going through injury-wise, and will understand and take it into account. So don't stress about it.

9. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

I have a tendency to get super nervouse before any grading, so here are a few things my instructors tell me:

Just before you're called onto the mats, try a familiar type of controlled breathing, or just breath deeply and slowly.
    When you get out on the mats, look at the attacks as a nuisance, rather than a serious threat. You're in a dojo, there's no real threat against your life.
    Again, breathe. But what I mean this time is, while you're on the mats, try not to let your breath get too shallow.

And with the caffiene thing (I speak ONLY from my own personal experience here), I'd avoid it. Caffiene, especially in higher-than-normal levels, has a tendency to make some people jittery or antsy. Might not be the best thing when you're already nervouse.

If you go with caffiene though, I'd avoid any and all caffiene until about an hour or two before the test. Otherwise the effects will hit you throughout the day and you're more likely to crash DURING the test. So I'd avoid caffiene until close to test-time, then grab a mountain dew and a chocolate bar, and keep a steady flow of caffiene for the evening.

10. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Nerves are good - they give you energy!
    When I took my BB, I had a bottle of Lucozade and a banana about half an hour before it started.
    Don't take anything stronger, or it will mess you up (remember it is a mental and physical test) the body's adrenaline should give you all the boost you need.
    Good luck!
    (P.S. If your instructor didn't think you were ready for it, then they wouldn't let you make the attempt, would they?)

11. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

people handle nerves differently as u can tell with all the dif type of responses , the only thing u can do that will calm u down is breathe deeply this provides alot of oxygen to the brain and in a way calms you down .. i have been graded 4 or so times so i dont have much experince but i know how nervous the whole situation is

i dont know how your grading is but especially nervous when your the only one at your level being graded and the whole hall ahs there eys on you -_-

i tend to think to my self just after my name has been called and im stepping up , i have nothing to be scared of , there is no one else here and during i keep my eye focused on the graders. I dont tend to look around and notice the whole hall.

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What everyone else has said. Just treat it like another grading. When it starts, there's no one around but you. Doesn't matter what anyone else does. Just focus on yourself.

And if it makes you feel any better, my 1st dan grading is at the end of next month, and I'm already bricking it!

13. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

I was also incredibly nervous before my test. During the test, whenever I messed something up, I'd think "Maybe the examiners weren't looking just then. I'll do it right the next time." That helped me from getting distracted.

For fitness, I'm sure you'll be beat, but that's expected for the kind of testing your describe, regardless of your physical condition. Even if you were in top shape, you would give it your all and be worn out by end of it.

14. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Advice from me...
    If you're ill, don't do it. And by this I mean a blinding fever, headache and being sick the day before. Not recommended. And of course this doesn't come from personal experience :angel:

15. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I DID IT - I AM NOW A 1ST DAN IN TOTAL BODY DEFENCE GOSHINKWAI
    Boy am i feeling it today, aching all over but chuffed to bits. It was a really good night with myself and Ryan doing the senior gradings and there were also 3 junior black belt gradings as well. Charlie filmed some of the grading so it should be on youtube shortly - haven't seen the footage myself yet though.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  16. Llamageddon

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Congratulations! Now go kick someone's ass! Only joking, of course ;)

17. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Thanks Llam

18. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Did we pick the wrong night for a grading though, absolutely roasting hot and no air conditioning in the room, just the fire exit door open.

19. Llamageddon

Hahaha, know how you feel. Every monday night it'sl ike that. And if it's winter, well on goes the heating!

20. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Congrats on your success.
    I couldn't walk upstairs (or down) for about a week after mine!