Prayers for the Pope

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ATF, Apr 2, 2005.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Guess what, I agree with Tekkengod's sentiments. They totally hijacked the media with that stuff about the Pope, it was all anyone heard about. I was saying to my mother 'For god's sake, all he did was die.' People die all the time and it doesn't get that much hype, yet to their loved ones it would be just as important.

That, and I believe in abortion, and I think it less morally repugnant to use a condom than to inflict AIDS on an innocent child.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Growing up, I learned that speaking ill of the dead was considered bad manners. When someone dies, either pay your respects or say nothing.

I imagine the side topics could be handled on another thread.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I just want my GOD DAMN NEWS CHANNEL BACK :woo: :bang: :woo:

You agree with abortion! :eek: wow, we have really similar views

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

shotokanwarrior & tekkengod
    .... exactly what part of my post did the both of you not understand?

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

all i said is that i want my news channel back, nothing offensive there, and i don't think its too much to ask either.

6. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

The only problem is, you've said it at least three times here already, and this thread isn't the place for it. If you want to discuss gas prices, or anything else in the news, please use another thread.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

no probelm.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... and I don't think it is too much to ask that you keep thread on track ... have nothing positive to contribute specifically to this thread then find another.

My patience is wearing thin with you ...

thank you

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

RUUUN!!!!!

10. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

John Paul II was the most (?) widely travelled pope ever, and did a lot to raise respect of the church in the world (not least for finally apologising to Galileo for persecuting him and apologising to many Jews for the Vatican's (non)actions in WWII).

I'm especially impressed by his act of forgiveness toward his attempted assassin, by going into the jail soon after the shooting to meet and talk privately with him.

However, he did have his critics, especially regarding his attitude toward birth control in the 3rd world, as well as claims he covered up, or at least failed to address sex abuse accusations re: catholic priests. You just have to look at the controversy that's blown up around Cardinal Bernard Law today to notice this.

He was a well loved pope but the next pope (second to last one according to St Malachy's prophecies) probably won't receive the adoration many people held for John Paul. This is a mark of the respect people had for him, as much as anything.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

When John Paul refused to address the sex assault coverup by the church is when he lost an awful lot of respect I think. The church here in Milwaukee, where about 90% of people are catholic, claims to be close to bankruptcy because of the lawsuits, and there are dozens more to come here.

12. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

It is possible that not all the lawsuits are real. First of all, I find it amazing that there are that many lawsuits in your area. Second of all, someone in Naperville sued the church, saying that he had been abused as a kid. It turned out he was a con artist that was trying to make some money.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Well I'd believe a con artist before I believed the catholic church.

14. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

You're not even making any sense at this point. Really, you're just trolling. Go annoy someone else.

15. Kwajman

No doubt that happens. I'm not catholic so I don't know much about it, but most of the lawsuits are being settled out of court. Most of the problem seems to be regarding one particular priest from the late 60's who was deliberately shielded by the now retired archbishop. There was an article just this morning regarding some sort of money to the church called the "Peter penance" or something similar, saying the donations were off like 70%.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

grow up!

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i sure as hell wouldnt' believe a con artist, but i commend him for having the nuts to not listen to everything the church says.

18. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

tekkengod and Shadow of evil.

I feel you are not entering the spirit of this thread and contributing anything levelly. I feel pretty certain that everyone on the thread is well aware of your feelings by now and in a bid to keep this thread open and so your not frustrated by the lack of agreement from everyone else - perhaps it would be beneficial that you both no longer post on this thread - as it clearly is upsetting you both.

I'm NOT BANNING you I'm warning you - There is more than the two of you contributing to this thread - you two cannot possibly change the opinion of everyone else on this thread and I sincerely do not wish to have anyone - including yourselves any further upset.

If you cannot add anything different to your "argument" please stop posting - or I shall be forced to close the thread.

19. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I agree 100% with what Melanie just posted, and I'm watching this thread, as well.

Since there are people who would like to post appropriately, in the proper spirit of the thread, I would suggest (in the interest of keeping the thread open) that anyone who can't stay on-topic, do not post here.

20. Kwajman

Thank you Mel, I hope no one thought I was bashing the pope or anything. I just don't know much about him not being catholic.