Practicing without Permission

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Em-em, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Question for all: How was your relationship with your parents before you became a black belt with regards to traiing? DId they agree on it or did you train without their permission?

2. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Well my dad worked for a branch of the goverment that develope the f18 so they put me into training when i was about 2.5 so they where into it
    but later when my mom re-married my step dad was against me doing mauy thai (mom hadnt told him i,d already been training for years) apparently because he felt it lessend his control over the family.... he raised a hand to my mother once and through a miraculous turn of events found out that i already knew a certain degree of martial moves...
    i guess you demonstrate you maturity by actualy discussing your reasons for wanting to train and how much it means to you they where young to once
    they probably just want you to show the propper respect:)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Relationship with my parents? Are you getting all Fruedian on us now? ;)

With me it's the same as when I started. They took me to the classes when I was young after I'd been severly beaten by a group of five guys trying to steal my bike and are still surprised that I've stayed with it this long. The general comment is along the lines of 'Don't know why you're still doing this, haven't you learnt how to look after yourself yet?' :D

4. remus

remus New Member

Actually since i started out in college where they wanted to give me more space to discover myself the only condition they had was as long as it doesn't affect my studies in a bad way then it is OK with them and so long as i pay for the lessons from my allowance. I guess they were trying to see how much i wanted to study karate and how far will i go with it and how will manage what little money i had. Hehehe...

5. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

It's a good thing you decided to continue training...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  6. pest

pest Occasional Poster

i say continue training, no harm done and its your money.

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Hey Em-EM doesn't your college offer martial arts programs? if it does the class times would definetly be convienient and geared towards school hours. Most colleges and universities where I live offer different martial arts courses to train in.

8. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Well there is a karate club here in my university but they keep on changing venues. . .

Hmmm, I'll think about that.

9. h3lios

h3lios New Member

There are a lot of dojos that offer a lesser tuition but the one I chose sent numerous players abroad who were trained good enough to represent the country (Philippines).

It's really about the [karate] organizaton's tuition.

Considering the budget, college education is a priority.

a lot of dojos do offer lower tuition.
    Your current dojo do have players representing the country as members of the national team.

Lower tuition does not mean lower standards. I know of some karate clubs headed by very competent instructors, some of them are the pillars of this country's (Philippines) karate society.

As regarding having many members in the national team, it just means that the club you are in is "malapit sa kusina" (literally: near the pantry). Some clubs, for one reason or another, do not participate in qualifiers or selections for the national team.

Shop around. When you buy something, you always consider value for your hard earned money. It's the same with karate instruction. Your still a yellow (or green?) belt. Your still young in your rank and MA practice. You still have the privelege to pick out what club to join.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd ask kick chick, she has some of the best advice i've seen here, plus all the guys are in love with her. Really tho, I think the discipline you would get from MA classes would do nothing but help strenthen your schoolwork. More power to you and keep up the hard work both in, and out of class.