Practicing without Permission

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Em-em, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

I'm a seventeen female and practicing karate for two and a half years. When I graduated High School, I was sixteen years old and had to move to the big city for my college education.

I really would love to keep on training but my parents won't approve of it because they want me to focus on my academics and we're a bit low on budget.

What I did was I slashed some money off my allowance to pay the monthly fee without my parent's permission.

If you were my instructor, what would be your reaction? Will you let me stop? I'm already a yellow belt. (I was in green with my last school.)

Sometimes I feel guilty for not telling my parents. I will be able to talk to them sooner, but I'm afraid they'll let me stop practice.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Personally, I think there's worse things you could be doing without your parents permission than training. If you are paying for it out of your allowance, and your school work isn't suffering as a result, I don't see a problem.

I'm just finishing a masters degree, and I've managed to keep training throughout. I trained through my degree too. I've had to take time off at exam/coursework deadline times, but my sensei was very understanding. You just need to find a balance. Training when you have an exam the next day isn't a wise move for example.

If I was your instructor, I wouldn't want to loose a student who was as keen to train as you seem to be. Maybe you could get your instructor to have a chat with your parents about the situation. They're just concerned for your future, and maybe he could help them see you can study and train at the same time.

Welcome to MAP by the way :)

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I agree with KG on this one. What you have decided to do with your allowance seems to be a mature decision on your part. I'm sure your parents will come to see that the choices you make now are along the path of where they would like to see you go. Good luck and stay focused!

4. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Sounds like a sad story. There is so much you can learn from martial art, and those little things you pick up alone the way will help you in life aswell. Is too bad some parents dont see this. I personally dont think training martial art will stop your academic goal at all. Training generally take 1-2 hours, Im sure you can manage to find time to do well in both. You should do martial art as much as your social life allows it. You sounded like a real good martial art student. If your my student I'll probably let you train for free, or at least lower the tuition cost. Still better than losing a student:p Most decent martial art teacher arent doing this for the money. If your instructor, I'm sure he'll help you out.:Angel:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  5. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I've been told by the school guidance officer, that students who do something else outside of school, be it music, sport, or a part-time job, actually tend to do better at their school work. This would probably be relevent to college as well. As long as your sensible, all you have to do is manage your time more wisely, which is a good thing to learn anyway. Tell them that the time you spend on Karate is coming out of your TV time, and not your study time. Good luck and welcome. :D

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I think its good to train in a MA as it gives you time out from study which is greatly needed i actually started at the most hectic time of my year last year lots of coursework and stuff to do i just found it gave me a couple of hourse a week where i didn't have to think about java code or poxy reports also helps your concentration supposdly

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If I was your Instructor, and knew this was what you were doing, I would teach you for nothing. Your dedication is admirable.

I just hope you show the same amount of application to your Academic studies, as they are way more important than any Martial Art could ever be.

I've heard various lame excuses for people not attending class over the years. One of the few I find acceptable, is the 'need to study'

Approach your Instructor and ask if he can help you out. If he can, negotiate with your parents, but remember that, if your budget is tight, then your parents is even tighter. I guarantee they will be sacrificing some of their own needs in your interest, so make them proud by succeeding academically.

Sorry for the lecture. ;)

Good luck

Andy

8. Anne

Anne New Member

Re: Re: Practicing without Permission

Am I still on MAP? That's an odd sentence to read. I agree that school needs a higher priority than school (but just barely) but I don't like that phrasing of it.

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Yes Anne, you and your little Toto too.

You seem to be making odd sentences yourself. ;)

You would like me to clarify the statement?

No proble,. but take a look at the context it was made in.

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Em-Em, I would've agreed with the basic sentiment as shown above and said that you should keep going, but the fact is you're a girl and you have no real place in MA's. Basically you're wasting your time and should quit both school and MA. Why bother? You'll probably just get married then have kids and you've just wasted so much time and money for nothing!

Oh yeah, the above is rubbish and I just wanted to see how many temperatures I could raise in a single post. Good luck with your training and school. You should get your instructor to speak with your parent, though, if you can't.

11. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

You really caught my attention there, given the fact that you're from Australia (I was taught that your country tops the list of not being gender-biased).

Just for the record, my parents believes that women are men's equal.

I also have something to raise temperatures. Every successful woman is a disappointed man. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Men only say that because they know how badly us women can kick your sorry masculine butts :D

*K-girl hides at the prospect of this turning into another Men vs Women thread

13. Jim

Jim New Member

Ha ha - quick off the mark and a sence of humour!

Interesting that you say that about my country. I gotta tell you the reality... In my experiecnce there really is a glass ceiling for women in the workforce, especially in management positions. Interestingly enough, some of the best bosses I've ever had have been women, though.

I still can't understand your parents stand on this issue. MA's are one of the main areas that have been known to develop disipline and strength of character in a person. Why stop you?

14. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

There are a lot of dojos that offer a lesser tuition but the one I chose sent numerous players abroad who were trained good enough to represent the country (Philippines).

It's really about the [karate] organizaton's tuition.

Considering the budget, college education is a priority.

15. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

One man in a 1000 is a leader of men.
    The other 999 follow women.

Jim, you're lucky that you live down in Melbourne, or else I'd come after you with a big stick. You're giving Aussies (or Aussie males :D) a bad name.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  16. Jim

Jim New Member

Of course I am... That's one of the rules I agreed to when I signed up to MAP. Didn't you get that one? Oh, sorry you probably got the girl one... :D

17. remus

remus New Member

Hi Em-em,
    From my experience, my grades in college soared high when i was training in MA(Aikido and Karate-Shotokan) and it became average when i had to stop due to tight budget.
    So long as you are able to balance School and Karate i see no reason why you should quit. Once you quit it is sometimes very hard to start again. Enjoy as much as you can that you are still in college because once you are working there are will be more things that will keep you from practicing.

18. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

The sad plight of our country (Phils). You study hard, then you work harder.

Tight budget in college, tighter budget while working. No wonder we're the number one labor exporters. :(

19. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Jim hmm dont joke like that with my gf she can kick my but about as easily as breathing and ive got over 22 years practice and 4 years full time....
    and all she did was a couple years kung fu when she was a little kid some instructor came over from china to teach for free
    ...all they did was forms for 3 hours every saturday ....
    its been like 20 years since she trained and i still cant touch her
    ..the scary thing is she looks at me like she is happy that im trying but knows i will never be able to get her..
    yes male ego goes down for the count...

Oh and personaly i would tell my parents its a matter of respect if you dont live there you dont have to follow every guideline but if your proving to achieve good scalastic results there shouldnt be a problem.. im just into openness though and it dosnt always seem to be the best option

20. Seminosukei

Seminosukei New Member

i aggree with Tai on this one because my mum hates me doing martial arts but whilst she may hate it she now tht my father wont have it any other way because he wants me to take over the business one day but getting off track here the right thing to do is to tell your parents and being only 18 myself i know what you are going through but have faith and all will work out for the best...
    Seminosukei