Power plates for flexibility training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jayla, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

I was at the gym this weekend, working really hard on stretches for side splits. One of the fitness instructors saw what I was trying to do and told me about PNF stretching (of which I hadn't heard before)

He also mentioned to try taking a power plates class, as apparently you can see anything up to an inch of extra flexibility in one session.

Does anyone have experience of this? I don't see how a vibrating plate can help..

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what the hell is a power plate?

read van zandt's sticky

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've worked with them quite a bit. I can honestly say I don't quite buy their explanations and I find them to be primarily just a big expensive bit of kit that can be sold to gyms and something so that PT's don't really have to do that much work.

I've got a mate who is a highly qualified PT, physically talented and believes greatly in them. Go figure.

I had at one point tons of articles showing how the science they used to support their claims... actually didn't support their claims at all. However... the product is a big business. If they can sell several to each gym... at the per unit cost... it's HUGE money.

In short... nope sorry I'm not the biggest believer in it.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

power plate use for flexibility might simply be down to using it to help you relax your muscles.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would agree, plus the strength gain, which we know to be a must in reaching full flexibility.

6. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

An inch? A whole inch? In only one session? Bah, impossible! :p

I don't know too much about power plates, but you don't need them for full splits.

If you want to get the splits, I suggest you read the threads by Van Zandt in the flexibility section. Full ROM strength + stretching = flexibility! :cool:

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

to further add to this thread... PT's will say whatever falls out of their craws. Trust me on this. The vast majority of them are monkeys. Those that are busy flogging the PowerPlate are right at the top of the ape pile.

As for a whole inch.. that wouldn't be impossible... but it's got more to do with how it's sold to you. I've seen people pitch active isolated stretching the same way. If you check someone who is cold and not stretched or warmed up... they're only going to have a certain reach or range of motion. Their body will usually stop them before they can damage the muscle by wacking into a range of motion they're not warmed up for... get in 5 or 6 stretches and you can easily get an inch of reach. But that's not because you actually gained one inch of reach in a stretch that is going to stay there... it's because you got warmed up and had that range of motion anyhow if you were warmed up.

It's a parlour trick.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What in the name of Sam Hill happened while I was gone?! Did all the threads I wrote go on vacation too?

Thank god folks like Patrick Smith and Slip gave this place the a regular dose of reality!

9. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You're finally back! :banana:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Patrick. You posted some great answers on this forum, just reading them now. :cool: