Potential cause of Knee problems?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vimtoforblood, Apr 30, 2007.

1. It is indeed an Aikido stance. The front foot is turned outwards slightly to make it easier to turn and to align the hips I believe. The stance can be transitory.

I can easily get lower than that - by moving my BACK leg backwards. This seems to make it unstable and move my centre of gravity further back.

I want to get lower but keep my weight forward. The only way I can do this is sink my weight forward and dip my front knee - which was my concern.

The reason I want to get low is because I am quite tall, and in order to use such a stance to throw someone, it is necessary to be lower than them.

Maybe it's my height which is the problem?

As for knee walking and seiza - it doesn't seem to hurt my knees - but the tops of my feet (how weird?) - in fact only one other person I've spoken to finds this.

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Agree! :) :)

Strength + flexibility

3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

You're lucky! In my case, I've got quite chunky legs, so my knee won't bend beyond 30 degrees. If I try and do it further, and/or put weight on them, then I am simultaneously stressing the knee joint and squashing the muscles.