Post count

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Andrew Green, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

No Comment :D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! at your no comment :D

Ooops - 5127 :D

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Me too :D

Take a wild guess how I got 2000+ posts ;)

|Cain|

4. YODA

Dunno Cain - how?

Oooops - 5129 :D

On a more serious note : You guys should lighten up - this is a forum, it's supposed to be fun. They day it stops being fun (it's come close recently) is the day I walk out the door.

5. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Some of the ideas in this thread are covered in a future release of the forum software that we might upgrade to. They have a member 'reputation system' which assigns points based on :

Length of time on forum.
    Number of posts. (it takes 1000's to make a difference!)
    Votes from other members on that users posts (+ve and -ve).

Each member can cast a certain number of votes for good / bad posts per month.

Not 100% convinced we would implement this system, but it is certainly something that we will consider as it might discourage absolute rubbish being posted just for the sake of it.

well, I didn't want to say anything, but .....

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sounds like a good idea. It could get abused though, for example, a member takes a dislike to another member and rates all their posts negatively. Or member's who are friends go about rating each others posts highly.

Actually, thats me screwed. I may as well find another forum :D

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Sounds like a good idea except for the "votes" thing. That might work if all forum members were mature and sensible, but that's not always the case.

There is another forum I visit (not martial arts related) whose mods are so tough that they make MAP mods look like gentle little kitty cats! Here are some of the things they do to reduce "rubbish" posts (perhaps MAP doesn't have the manpower for this; I'm just putting forth suggestions):

1) They simply don't allow double (or triple or quadruple, etc.) posting. If you accidentally double (or more) post, you are expected to edit all posts except one of them to remove all the content (you can leave a note like "Oops, double post"). If you refuse to do this, you can get booted. If you were the last poster in a thread, you can post there again after a day or so without it being considered double-posting.

2) Any post you make is supposed to add some content. No posts just to say "Me too" or "LOL".

3) Before starting a new thread, you're supposed to search existing threads to see if one of them will suffice. Any threads deemed to be extraneous (because a very similar one already exists) are locked (following an explanatory post by the mod). I have been using that other forum for eleven months, and have not started one new thread there yet.

4) No posting for the sole purpose of bumping up a thread (this seems to happen a lot in the "chat" threads).

The mods on this other forum go even further. They have a special thread just to report trolls (and "troll" is very broadly defined), and all users are expected to edit their posts to correct any spelling or grammatical errors! Seriously! That might be a bit much.

What about just hiding the post count? Keep it in the profiles, but not in the posts... Maybe let anyone, no matter how new, create a custom user designation...

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Some of those sound very familiar to me KT .... and I am not going to bring up my experiences at moderating other forums only to say that overall MAP members exhibit some good behavior ... the subject is "post count" and whether or not it should be "eliminated" or "hidden". I for one like the idea of appearing only in the profile ...

I found that members abuse postings when achieving a certain post count enabling them to wear a higher "belt".... or "higher member status title".... as you can see with MAP, members have complete control over this (well, after a certain small number of posts... but I'm sure that can be modified)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  9. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Has anyone noticed whether "rubbish posting" tends to decrease after a member's 100th post (that being the milestone at which one can create custom user designations)? If that is the case, it seems the whole problem could be solved by either letting new members have custom designations, or by eliminating these titles altogether.

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sometimes a "Me too" is plenty, says you agree with whats being said without loads of text.

Saying too much can be worse than saying too little, people should get to the point without telling people there life story! :D

I'm not sure what you have against the post counter, I find it interesting to see how much people post and there seems to be little posting just to get the count up.

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

12. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

LOL! :D

(sorry, couldn't resists that! :))

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I ws going to post "Me too" but thought better of it :D

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

No comment

((((Denies the accusation that the post's only purpose was to bump up her post count)))))

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Me too!
    ;)

16. Cain

Cain New Member

err........me three :D

[sorry, could'nt resist :D]

|Cain|

17. YODA

I would never stoop so low.

((Ooops))

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It is kinda nice to know who the members are that contribute the most to the forum. Is there a way to eliminate posters who have registered sometime ago and really don't post anything substantially? I mean if someone has joined three months ago and has 12 posts, is there a way to catagorize them somehow....But then the regulars know who the other regulars are anyway. But what do I know, I'm a relative newcomer myself...

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

BBBWWWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Sorry :D

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

What are we talking about again?