Post count

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Andrew Green, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

How about elliminating it, or at least hiding it? Sometimes I get the impression that people are posting for the sole purpose of increasing it resulting in unneccessary "noise".

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Aw Boy!

I agree. I am fed up with people posting pointless stuff to make their post count go up! ;)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Sounds good to me, takes away the unnecessary stress of finding 'witty' things to post for your memorable milestones.

4. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Just wanted to see how many posts I had made

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I couldn't care less either way about my post count, and I think a lot of member's feel the same.

Quality not Quantity!

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Actually I think all members should be allowed to change the title under their name, if they are not they will just spam until they are able to and they will spam bad 'cause they don't know how many posts they have gotten yet ;)

The title's the main reason for the post wh0re$ ;)

|Cain|

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... absolutely :D

... how about hiding post count and just keeping the title designating members staanding in the community...

8. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hmm... some might say hiding the post count might get folk to spam worse as they might go "so and so has this and I don't must be post related to sill spam like crazy", of course now I'm thinkin others will go "Ah yes Junior member wantin to put his posts up" etc etc. I like that idea of your Cain, (in fact that's really how the avatar thing works correct?) might stop the "post wh0re$ " as you say. Of course there are two/three other options... one where status isn't exactly related to posts but more 'time served', but maybe thats too complicated. KC's idea (problem is then you could argue it gets 'elitist' blah blah) or of course, just have everyone registered and have their status as "Member" the mods as "Moderator" admins as "Admin" and just leave it at that and not give anyone the option (mods and admins) the choice to create a 'special' status, sounds 'harsh' but I guess if I were an admin(which I aint) and was getting really fed up with "unneccessary "noise". " as AG puts it, I'd maybe give it a try. Just an idea or two (hopefully constructive ones!) :)

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Alternatively, why not just issue nonsense posters with a warning and zero thier count if it continues???

Kinda like a yellow then red card system.

Whatd'ya think?

10. darlph

darlph New Member

I never bother to look at the post count or the status of the member. I read and then go on or reply. The name of the person posting is mainly what I look at. Perhaps putting the status and count only in the members area would suffice if people are complaining?

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... actually what I was referring to would be a "new member" ... "junior member" "senior member" ... (based on undisclosed post count)... including "mod/admn. member" and "special award titles".

... as the MAP communtity grows... and it is by leaps and bounds each week.... by knowing who its newest members are by such "titles" it gives the mods, senior and junior members the ability to know who are new members are and welcome them.
    I've had large post counts on previous boards only because I have fast fingers and alot to say...'whether that be good or bad', I would prefer not to judged on my numbers and solely on what I contribute to this community.

Just a suggestion really :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Something more in-keeping with the humour of the forum perhaps?

"Gimme a chance"

"Should know better"

"Fountain of wisdom"

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

If thats the way it goes I'd suggest a time requirement too perhaps. Or even mainly a time-in requirement. Just so that we don't get bombarded with junk by new members wanting new titles.

14. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

A lot of good ideas getting thrown about in here I will have to check this out further.

Cooler

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... guess we're keeping you extra busy eh Cooler??;)

Thanks for taking all this into consideration .... it would definitely be breaking new ground :cool:

16. Jazman

Jazman New Member

How about we go by "posts per day", and titles similar to
    "Has better things to do..."
    "Has few friends"
    "Has no life"
    and finally...
    "An MAP member of the highest order" :D

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

That would make it worse!!!

18. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

This forum actually isn't too bad IMO as far as people spamming for post counts go.

19. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

I was actually thinking about writing a post addressing exactly this question. I thought it was out of line. But now that the cat is out of the bag...

How can some people write so much? Do they really know so much or do they just like to get their two cents worth every time they get a chance.

I read a lot of threads (but only the ones that I think would be of pertinence to me), and I reply to those I believe that I can contribute to. If I don't feel my comments would contribute I don't write in that thread.

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It's true - I have 5100+ plus posts here - I guess I must have contributed a lot of crap - I am weak and worthless.