Possible return to Xingyiquan

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Xue Sheng, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I am considering a return to Xingyiquan. I stopped because, to be honest, there was no one to train with in my area and there were no teachers that were all that much better than me, also my Arthritis was an issue as well.

I have had a long on again off again addiction type of relationship with Xingyiquan, even use to travel 4 hours, once a month to train with a good teacher. He however had the audacity to move 15 hours away...the things some teacher will do to get away form me :)

Since I was training on my own, even tried to get a "Free" training group together. Had lots of interest, which ended in lots of excuses, with one person, the oldest (71 years old) showing up to give it a try. He liked it, but, as he said, at 70, he was not ready to get into something like this.

I recently found a person who is suppose to be an exemplary Xingyiquan teacher and he is about 2.5 hours away. I knew of his existence when I was traveling to my other shifu, but I could not locate him.

Had not done any Xingyiquan in about 6 months, but last week, after I finished teaching and everyone had gone home, I did Wuxingquan and I have to say it felt really really good

Still talking to the wife about it, she is not quite on board yet, but she has me teaching Taijiquan in her office and when I retire, in about 8 or 9 years, wants me to teach more. I also want to teach Xingyiquan...can't help it... I'm addicted.

Nothing written in stone yet, but I am seriously thinking about it.

2. Xue Sheng

All of this is on hold due to knee issues which lead to knee surgery last June and pending the end of March

axelb likes this.
  3. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

4. Xue Sheng

Thanks, but due to knee surgeries and most recently a knee replacement, I think my Xingyiquan days are behind me

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've had 3 knee surgeries.
    First was 11/12 years ago. Exploratory, with some meniscus removal

2nd 3/4 years ago. Full on ACL reconstruction, hamstring graft.

3rd this year, meniscus repair.

You can still train. Granted, these and my age is not helping and Im way past going anywhere near my peak. But I'm now just enjoying the classes and training. I've promised myself more gym time as the last couple of years have been lagging. (Im not sure why. Something happened. Nothing of note...)

Or find a new training thingy and go from there.
    1 door closes...another opens something something...

6. Xue Sheng

At 60, I too have had 3 knee surgeries
    Meniscus repair left knee
    Meniscus repair right knee
    Total knee replacement right knee

In my future per the surgeon, total knee left knee, total hip right hip

And I have been a taijiquan guy for 30 years, so that will stay. It is the other stuff I use to do that will very likely be no more. But at the moment, I cannot do much taijiquan either, but I'm working on it.

Twisting and Mushroom like this.