Popping sound in the elbow while doing push-ups

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by SSJ2 Vegeta, Apr 6, 2008.

1. SSJ2 Vegeta

SSJ2 Vegeta New Member

Everytime I do pushups there is this like popping sound in my left albow. I can hear it as I go down and when I come back up, and it doesn't really hurt, it's more annoying. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Should I have it looked at?

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I get that now and again. I don't get it if I keep my elbows tucked in instead of putting them out to the side. If you have clicky joints in general, like me, I think it's just another one you didn't know about!

3. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Well I once went to the doctors with popping in one of my knees. He said it was just air pockets in the cartalige popping as its moved, and it was nothing to worry about.

I also asked him about the old saying that popping in joints is the onset of arthritis or join problems, and he said it was a myth, and almost everyone gets popping eventualy.

He said only when the joint gives out on me, or hurts often that I should seek attention. It never has done.

4. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Don't worry about it if it doesn't hurt. I get the same thing in my right shoulder at times.

5. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

I've had this "problem" since I was a child, and it has never affected my movement at all. During my first year or two of training, it was almost constant, and it subsided after that. Since then, it has occasionally come back when I've gone an extended period of time without training or without doing push-ups (e.g. due to injury).

I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's not accompanied by pain, but if you're concerned, don't hesitate to have a doctor look at it. Even if it's probably not worth making a special visit for, next time you're seeing a doctor for another reason, you may want to mention it if you're concerned about it.

6. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

I get that quite often in my elbows and wrists. I've never noticed it to be accompanied by anything negative.
    It actually seems pretty common among the people I train with. More pronounced with some than others, but nonetheless it's there.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

(Moved from "Bodyweight training" to "Injuries and prevention")

8. SSJ2 Vegeta

SSJ2 Vegeta New Member

Awesome, thanks for the input guys.