Popping in to visit the old neighborhood

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 17, 2020.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nice to see so many familiar screen names. How is everyone holding up in the End Times?

Mitch, axelb, ned and 4 others like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is where I'm at, personally.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

HEY! "Appy ta see ya,lad!

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hey Ap!

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Nice of you to drop by!

Hope you're doing well.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hey man! Good to hear from you!

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm doing alright, thanks. Laying low in the time of COVID, naturally. But recently learned that one of my teachers, Saya Joe, had passed away. Got me thinking about a lot of things, as you can imagine. Among them, how folks at MAP were doing.

Mitch, axelb, Anth and 1 other person like this.
  8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There is a lockdown thread around here somewhere.

I know a couple of people who have died of COVID, but thankfully so far no family or close friends. I'm feeling very lucky that we moved out of the city a few months before lockdown; being able to walk off into the countryside whenever I want is a big blessing right now.

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Good to see you again ap!

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You too my friend. You too.

Anth likes this.
  11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hey Ap! Hope you are doing well!?

12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

@ap Oweyn welcome back even if it is in passing :)
    I'm feeling the lockdown fever. Even though I've been out of classes for 7 years in the past, it felt good to be back and now having an unexpected halt is frustrating.

I hope you are keeping well!

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks Aaradia. I'm doing well thanks. Or as well as can be expected. Safe and sound with my family on the outskirts of the DC Metro area. :)

I'm well axelb. I haven't really trained myself since my surgery. But I've been thinking I'd like to get back into it again in what capacity I can. I think the loss of a beloved teacher has me thinking about my role and whether it's completely done. You know?

Good to see you Dan Bian and Anth!

axelb and Anth like this.
  14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Hey there! Good to see you again!

My training is on hiatus at the moment thanks to covid, but before that, I was training in the Chuck Norris offshoot of tang soo do. I've been training there with my older son; he and I are both red belts at the moment.

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

INTERNET DAD!! Been wondering how you're doing.
    I've been working from home and I like it (no commute, more free-time, more scope to structure my day, less petrol money, etc) but lordy is this time putting some horrendous strain on the relationships with my wife and kids.
    We made the decision not to send our kids back to school when they could, because it didn't seem safe, but regretting that now. Benefit of hindsight and all that.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Great to see you ap! There's always unfinished business in training, go pick your sticks up!

Don't be a stranger :)

axelb likes this.
  18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Yeah, not being able to train is no reason not to hang out at MAP. No? :D

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh yeah? What did you think of that. Chuk Something Do, yes? (I'm not taking the mickey. That is my recollection of the name. Am I wrong?)

I trained in taekwondo for about 5 years and I've been in practice groups with a couple of tang soo do practitioners over the years. But I haven't got any solid experience with TSD generally (and certainly not with Chuck Norris' variation on it).

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey my friend! How are you? Great to see you again.