Pointless Bickering

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TheSanSooStorm, Mar 30, 2005.

1. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

In life we find ourselves in many situations where the very fabric of our beliefes and lives come into question. From who? Others, men women, good and evil that are curious, or just plain dissagree. Now understand something, if God, Buddha, or whoever you believe in is truly there,and you truly believe in them with there heart, how does what "Joe" say make any difference? You see you go to class, learn a punch, perfect it here and there. Use it, it works great. Now what difference does it make that "Joe" says it doesn`t work? Hmm.. Mabye we should listen to Joe... but understand this my friends. You will not physically and mentally dedicate your being to something for possible years on end, and come onto the internet and do a complete 360 in your believes because some guy on the computer says so, or our mediphoric "Joe."

Debate disscussion on a living breathing changing thing like politics, spirituality, and even martial arts while healthy, you should keep your eye on what really matters. If all, and I mean all your trying to attain is the change of the others opinion, you will probably have a very angery lifestyle. For instance, some have made fun of how I say training slowly is important because speed will come in the fight, and its important to work on detail, and technuqe, and gain muscle memory to put it into your reaction. Now I know this works because it has worked for me. But some have said this is "stupid" or whatever. Now reguardless of your opinion, I listen to the argument but do you really think someones words are going to dictate my real life experiances?

Go to a bar, see a guy nock the other out, then walk up tot he guy who just nocked the other out and say "that diden`t work." The idea is let us converse, argue our points, but understand that in the end of the day, Taekwondo artists are still going to kick high, Boxers are ganna Jab, Wrestlers are ganna wrestle, Many kung fu artists are ganna be fluid. Christians are going to be christians. Buddhists are going to be buddhists. Muslims muslims. Jews Jewish. Have you noticed there aren`t many "Masters" on MAP? There might be some, infact if you know of any on this forum, defiantly have him post, it would be exelent to see that a Master is on here. But do you know what I personally believe?

I think Masters know that the best thing to teach is a Student, not another martial artist who dissagree`s. Discussion is important, but I think they see pointless bickering is really just a waste of time. People in life will follow real life in person teachers, not internet Big Mouths. I sometimes give advice to people I know in martial arts who study different things. Like boxing, I`m no boxer nor say that I`m one. Those at my school also Box and are the ones to go to. But I may offer to show them how to hit harder. As a friendly thing. But I don`t expect them to take it as the gospel truth, I expect them to try it out for themselves and decide, because thats what I did.

Your thoughts my friends?

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Are you talking about philosophy/faith or MA?

From the MA point of view, I know what you mean. Tai chi chuan practitioners get it all the time because TC is usually seen as a "grandma exercise". We know it works, if someone looks into the research about it they'll also realise it works. So why be evangelical about it.

A point many people miss (esp. when splitting hairs in some threads) is that while it's fun, and maybe useful to talk about the exact position of the finger in an eagle eye fist, or whether you've got more power punching at the top of a mountain as you do at sea level... the best "Master" in the world can, on a bad day, be beaten by a thug with no MA training if they're blindsided or they slip on a banana peel, or just have a bad day.

If you're on the ground and someone's putting the boot in, are you going to point out that their Nike's are softer than Doc's so, ha ha, they're doing less damage? I don't think so.

3. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

im quite guilty of being preachy, but usually when people ask for my advice. I dont try to "convert", i just tell them what i would do , not what they are doing wrong in my young and inexperienced opinion. However i shall redouble my efforts to stay on the right side of the line.

philisophically speaking, i think that we all have different opinions..obvious and we all like too discuss these opinions.. obvious.

however there are those who put their opinions out there for validation by the masses, they want people to either acknowledge superiority of their ideology or to simply convert to it. I believe these people are in the vocal minority, idiots shout loudest basically

take religion (deep breath), all over the world the current events of the day seem to be bringing islam and christianity to loggerheads. The war on terror has galvanized conservatism in both camps. Now i know that doesnt represent the majority blah blah blah, but what do you hear, what does the news constantly try and pick away at? a big story of christainity vs islam..round 2 ding ding ding. All this is simply stirred up by the vocal extreme minorities of the argument. Any issue, abortion, womans rights, ecologism are PLAGUED from real progress in discussion by the militant ends of the spectrum. Most people dont give a toss about these things, and most planateers (thats u guys) dont really care about the WTFvsITFvsWWE threads. So my advice is just tune it out

4. Jasonds23

Jasonds23 Banned Banned

life and living styles

I don't know much about politics, but I've been to a few countries,
    and seen different kinds of people. As far as relationships, you
    have to have some kind of back up system in reality, to feel
    comfortable. For some people it's sports, for others it's religion,
    and for some it's war.

The question is, how can people cope with reality, when there's so
    many distractions out there, I almost think it's impossible.
    However, there are outlets that come from the most unordinary
    of places. Life is not a contest, just the basic function.

What I think personally is usually the opposite of what I feel as a
    defense mechanism. The other part is speaking, which is totally
    dependant upon mood of circumstance. And situations are like
    total progressive! Or, can even be spontaneous. But, it's all in
    the way you cope with your own feelings.

The only thing I have found to help make any of that possible,
    is what you find in scripture. I found more in that book, than
    reading my most of other favorite subjects...

To me, posting and reading at forums is just a way of
    expressing common moments. Like somebody who wants
    to call a bunch of shirt retailers in the phone book, just to
    find more info on 1 product. The "what if's" never end,
    but you can still pick up on stuff...

5. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I agree, to a point... I think! To me though, there's a big difference between bickering and genuine debate. I think that bickering is pointless because, if anything, it closes minds whereas genuine, open debate opens minds.

If I thought I knew everything, I might not be here. But I don't. In fact, the more I learn, the less I know. Someone said something on one of the other threads that made me think. The statement was that the purpose of competing is to win. I believe that the purpose of competing is to learn. If I'm debating a topic here (and I'm in the right kinda mood!) I'm debating to learn and not to win.

6. kungfoo

kungfoo New Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Change comes from within.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, slay him.

The masters have already spoken. What can a modern master add?

7. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

The Grace Of Common Sense

So far every post has been uniqe, has added points I may slightly dissagree of application (but only slightly) and some I completely agree with. But notice there is next to no aggression in this disscussion? Its the right attitude.

Debate- Agreed that it can build someone. The difference is why is the debate started? Why is it accepted? Is it because you wish to argue and simply "debate" and are not doing it for the rewards of learning it offers? Is it because you simply wish to "show off" how much you know? Or are you concentrating on the finer points of defining your stand points and/or morality. Debating for a greater cause. And for the self learning it brings forth? It is not nessasarily "how" one debates but "why" that directs the journey of disccusion, in my opinion.

Train hard my friends.