Podcasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Frodocious, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Morning all, having recently discovered the joys of downloading podcasts on my phone, can anyone recommend things I could subscribe to.

I would be particularly interested in fitness podcasts (martial arts, nutrition, training etc), but also science, environment or anything else that people enjoy. I'm willing to try any suggestions.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Brace yourself....

Comedy = Adam Buxton, Infinite Monkey cage, No such thing as a fish, RHLSTP
    Science-ish = In our time, life scientific
    Martial arts/MMA/fitness = Fights gone by, Heavy hands, Iain Abernethy, Jamie Clubb, The Strenuous life
    Miscellaneous = Desert Island discs, Distraction Pieces, JRE (from time to time...Rogan has largely horrible guests but the odd good one pops up), Kermode and Mayo film review, Kermode on film, Unfiltered (James O'Brien has stopped doing it but it has a very strong back catalogue to go back through)

Others I listen to but you might not like = Below the belt, Various Bloody Elbow podcasts (if I did it, etc), Your Mom's house, Vale Tudo hour

I by no means listen to all episodes of all of them but usually do at least 2 podcasts a day.

Dead_pool, Frodocious and axelb like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

And Hardcore histories.

Frodocious and axelb like this.
  4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Weekly Planet. Podcast largely about comic book movies, but also does other bits of tv and movies, and occasionally games.

Frodocious likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Science/funny, radio 4, infinate monkey cage, (the one with Joe rogan on is amazing, because he is so far out of his depth even he knows it!)

Edit my favourite episode, Christmas spooky stories, with Mark Gatiss.

BBC Radio 4 - The Infinite Monkey Cage, The Infinite Monkey Cage Christmas Special

Friday night comedy on BBC podcasts are always worth a listen

BJJ, I've recently started listening to Dave camirillo's "position impossible" podcast, it's a mixed listen, but definetly thought provoking.

I avoid most JRE things, but if he gets a good guest on, it's a worthwhile listen, but 90% of his guests are pseudo scientific fraudsters.

Mitch, Frodocious and axelb like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

I listen to JRE mma podcasts and some of the people I'm interested in. Like I will definitely watch the Kanye podcast when it happened.

Mushroom and Frodocious like this.
  7. Dead_pool

The entire Kanye thing is so sad, essentially he's a mentally ill man who's off his meds, and people watch him as entertainment, you would of thought his wife /family would stop it... But being who they are they don't...

We should be better then this.....

Mitch and Frodocious like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

The thing is I don't know anything about Kanye other than what I read in headlines. Other than that all I know is his first three albums. Through The Wire is one of my all time favorite songs.

Frodocious likes this.
  9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thanks folks, I shall try out all of these. I'm currently listening to a very enlightening one about sleep quality and nutrition!

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  10. XOtago

XOtago New Member

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Reposted for truth.....

Grond likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Great traditional Chinese ma podcast and this interview with Tim Cartmell is quality

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nothing to do with MA, but if you like mystery/supernatural horror stories, you should listen to this. It's not easy; it's a complex story and you'll have to listen to follow it, but it is superbly done. BBC Radio 4 - The Whisperer In Darkness, Episode 1

Ia!

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Whistlekick
    Fight for a Happy Life
    Internal Fighting Arts
    Martial Journeys Podcast

axelb likes this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I almost forgot about this thread.

Adding this to essential podcast:

The flexibility podcast
    an evidence based podcast
    (By Dan Van Zandt aka @Van Zandt )
    With regular releases I'm enjoying this objective look at flexibility and the interviews.
    Really great to see his podcast getting motion.

https://www.youtube.com/user/danvanzandt

Dead_pool and Mitch like this.
  16. Dead_pool

I'm really enjoying the podcast by Robert Evans, it is mildly sweary so I'll just call it BehindTB, if you Google Robert evans podcast you'll find it.

It goes through the back story of the "bad guys" on history, it's exceptionally funny, and exceptionally well researched. Robert Evens is a former/current conflict journalist who also worked at cracked.com as an editor.

Also the readings of Ben Shapiro's fiction novel made me pull over the car as I was laughing so much.

Robert Evans (journalist) - Wikipedia

Literally 12 out of 10, would listen again!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    David Harrison and axelb like this.
  17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Mitch, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A couple more podcasts to add to the list...

Born to be a badass (female centred self defence by and large)
    The curious cases of Rutherford and Fry (weird science questions
    The Motivated Martial artists (interviews with various figures in the martial arts scene...my instructor produces that one!)

Mitch, axelb and Dead_pool like this.