please help me with a solo routine

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by leeroyjenkins, Dec 8, 2015.

1. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

Ok, to cut a long story short, I am struggling to make it to my 3 classes a week for the allotted time slot, my training partners moved away to pursue jobs but I desperately want to continue thai boxing but am struggling to make the time due to my new job and commute and I don't just want to stop because I love thai!

for background, I train 3 times a week in classes (which I am now struggling to make) with pads, techniques and sparring and conditioning and bag work on another day. When I feel ambitious I go to gym myself and do bag work and planks etc.

I now need a solid individual plan to stop skills going stale that I can do in my own time. I realize it is far from ideal, but I just want "something" that can keep skills sharp in the hope that my commute / job can make going to the classes at the alloted time slot more feasible.

I also watch hundreds of videos on youtube and practice teep parries etc when waiting for kettle to boil (weird I know), but please just hit me up with ideas

Thanks guys

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Shadow box, work your core, do roadwork.

Sucks about your class BTW.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The solo drills are just the partner drills without partner. Here is an example.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZYl-nYXwI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZYl-nYXwI[/ame]

4. leeroyjenkins

any good ideas about shadowboxing? It's something I have lacked as I prefer to use the sausage bag to simulate a fast opponent.

core working is something I do at the gym...I mainly feel that I am going to lack technique practice and sparring, i'm wondering whether I could simulate these movements alone?

roadwork? I did once upon a time...when I was a student, im not a pen pusher....I remember being able to see my abs back then, I havent seen them for 12 years :eek:

5. leeroyjenkins

looks great, thanks for the video. Worth doing this in front of the mirror?

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Haha!

It's tough to really simulate sparring alone. It's impossible as you have no timing energy or motion to work with. Shadow boxing will be good for refining your own movement and fluidity. Just train combinations, footwork and head movement... I think I linked a jt van video demonstrating these principles in a boxing context on another thread of yours? If you don't have a bag or someone to hold for you then conditioning is the only other thing you can work on... Which means roadwork and whatever core work you want to do/do already.

You may see those abs again! ;)

7. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

There is quite a lot that can be done.
    Some things are......
    You could take a standard day in a Thailand gym and condense it whatever time you have and use it as a guide.
    A lot is timed rounds of this or that or a certain number. Eg 200 knees on the bag , 100 push kicks....etc.
    Don't have a bag? Use the wall and shadow knee. Hands on the wall and feet back with enough space to do straight knees or round knees. The wall can be used to push kick repeatably too...Just touch the foot on the wall.
    A pad can be held and shin kicked for conditioning or elbowed.
    I do, for example, 5 mins of just kneeing but also add kick checking or defense. I do all the knees I know. If it's walking knee when you get to a wall you can do a clinch turn and walk back.
    Or I do five mins of just kicking and defense....or elbowing and defense....or just all the jabs I know and defense....any variation of anything. I always add defense as I don't want to get too caught up in a bad habit of just attacking. I defend and immediately throw in shadow or throw and immediately defend.
    A great tip is defend whatever you throw.
    For clinch rounds do strength exercises for the neck and arms.
    Sometimes things can be worked on technically with thought but also must be thrown with just intent like a fight....I try to go between the two. This stops me getting too fancy and technical and unrealistic but just going intense can leave no room to try to perfect technique more. Hence going between the two.

8. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

lots of full speed shadowboxing maybe buy a heavy bag and do your own bag work and just keep up your fitness

9. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Keep it ticking over with roadwork, floorwork, skipping etc. And shadowboxing - take a combination and repeat it 10 times, then go to the next combo etc.

None of this replaces a good pad man or sparring, but it keeps the fitness and basic skills in place until you can return.

Also consider finding a class at the weekends or getting a 1-2-1 session once a week from a coach (even once a month if money is tight)

10. leeroyjenkins

sorry for late response. Appreciate all the responses and will incorporate this into my training.

Thanks guys