Please critique my Wing Chun.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by mewtwo55555, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, thanks.

Looks still weird to me and I'd be scared for my fingers, but if that's what they want to see, that's what they want to see.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

First off good for you for putting this up! Since you likely do a lineage different to mine I'm going to try to stick to some universals here:

1. It's hard to tell since I can't see your legs very well but there doesn't seem to be any engagement from your legs. Your core structure looks loose which is usually a result of not adducting the legs, or a more useful cue is squeezing the ground. The more advanced actions of the legs in siu nim tao are much harder to explain by text unfortunately so I'll not go into those.

2. Keep your shoulders down! There are many points in the form where I see your shoulders raise up. Drop your shoulder to the bottom and keep it there. If you have to, find that ridge on the scapula and push it down your back until it bottoms out. Then use your back muscles you keep it there. Lifting the shoulder will bleed power.

3. For everything other than fook sau and bong sau, keep your fingers and thumbs closed! Unless you want people grabbing them or you want them caught on clothing, you'll do this. I know many people in the wing chun community like to keep them open because it looks fancy but you're way more likely to get your fingers broken. For the exact same reason your thumb should be on the side of your hand so your hand is flat instead of sticking out toward your palm.

4. Everything in the form is important. You're not the only student I've seen who is guilty of this but just because something is at the opening or closing of the form does not mean it's unimportant and that you can get sloppy. Those punches were lackluster and they deserve as much attention as the rest of the form.

5. When clearing the arms toward the end the wrist should ride the arm with the hand sticking past it. This is for developing the ability to strip and counter bridges later on and doing it with the edge of the hand puts you in the wrong position to take control of your opponent's limb.

6. Stay straight. One of the core reasons for doing siu nim tau is to develop the centerline. I literally saw you bend sideways more than once. It may have just been pressure but this is one of the absolute basics of the form, beyond anything else, simply the ability to do the stance and have a strong center line. If you've been training for one year you should have that down, never mind six.

I'm going to leave it there because I'm not sure what else is a result of stylistic differences and what's individual.

aaradia likes this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

7. Take up boxing.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why?

Why would someone who enjoys Wing Chun want to take up boxing, or any number of other arts you could have mentioned?

To the OP, props and thank you for posting your video.

bassai likes this.
  5. SWC Sifu Ben

A good suggestion actually. If you want to learn how to practically apply wing chun you really do have to look outside the system and you'll never find more solid pure pugilism than boxing.

6. Pretty In Pink

Honestly it just comes down to application. I can use WC in a sparring scenario with 16 oz gloves on.

If you really want to apply your WC you should really fight with other people who use their hands.

Dead_pool and SWC Sifu Ben like this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you meant this you should have said go spar boxing

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The reason I asked the question is that it did seem to question the OP's skill, which in turn discourages more people from posting videos.

Remember we all train for different reasons.

aaradia likes this.
  9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

I think PiP's comment might have been better phrased as "supplement with boxing training", instead. One has to remember that there's a bit of a history in the forum of people using very short replies as a way to deliver snark, so sometimes a little elaboration goes a long way when trying to prevent misunderstandings, simply because force of habit makes certain interpretations come to the forefront more readily than others.

axelb, bassai and Simon like this.
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

much respect for opening yourself out to criticism.

My criticism is based on southern shoalin principles including winching and related arts rather than an in-depth practice of winching.

I second sifu bens comments on stance - and shoulders - you seem to be bouncing up to generate power. try experimenting with sinking and connecting to the ground to generate power. this also applies to what might be called suppressing or lifting hands - you seem to be moving more from the shoulders which is disconnecting from the rest of the body. when I hear sifu ben say relax the shoulders down what I take him to mean (and sifu ben please correct me if i am wrong.) Is to let the shoulder-blades drop back onto the ribcage on the back of the body. It is a common misunderstanding that relaxing the shoulders means just relaxing mussels but this can letting the shoulders drop forward resulting in a disconected posture. if the shoulders are relaxed down and back the mucles in the back and sides of the body help concet the core to the shoulders to the arms, so lifting actions and suppressing actions can be done with the whole body.

I second what was said about fingers. As a general rule fingers should be kept together unless thier is a specific reason for chigung / stretching that a finger needs to be separate (which sometimes happens in some forms) . Similarly I second what was said about range of movement of "blocks". Seldom a requirement for a movement beyond the line of the body. Think about how far the hand has to move to gain the effect you are looking for.

It is important to practice technique and application alongside forms. the forms inform the technique and vise versa.

The winching stance looks simple but in fact there is a lot to it. think of the without the rope kind of skimping. imagine a child skipping along a street on a summer day.
    Much of the power of winchung comes from a mechanic of this step. You want to have a relaxed potential to skip/spring in your legs when you are in winchung stance. This is a difficult balance to find particularly if you have been over weight so your gait will have been naturally more heavy and solid.

Once again respect for putting yourself out their.

Simon likes this.
  11. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

Thanks for the responses I will be talking with my instructor on the stuff brought up.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

Good luck man!

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Just a note that I've seen some WC folk,for whatever reason come up when striking-they were taught that way. Also had a student who had learned some WC that way.

So regarding this OP may or may not be in error depending on his WC branch.But for sure mewtwo should find out

14. SWC Sifu Ben

Yep this is exactly what I mean. That's why I teach students how to do it by manually sliding their scapula down their back. Otherwise what happens is everyone ends up burning out their shoulders because rather than being able to properly recruit from the appropriate muscles and having the shoulder stable, their shoulder is "floating" and they're burning out their traps and unable to properly recruit power from the appropriate muscles. It becomes even more clear when people do chi sao because a few minutes in and they start rubbing their overworked traps. It's like trying to bench press with your shoulders shrugged up by your ears. All you're doing is making your own life difficult.

axelb and Simon like this.
  15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

No kidding - Me too! I find some students also find it helpful if you get them to stand behind you with their hands on your shoulder blades. Then show them the correct position and the incorrect possession. Sometimes the physically feeling of what is going on is more meaningful to them than watching. It sometimes helps them to "click" with what should be happening with their own anatomy.

16. mewtwo55555

Deleting video

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  17. Pretty In Pink

No worries man. Do you think you'll upload more in future once you feel like you've made an improvement?

18. mewtwo55555

Possibly. will also think about uploading the other 2 forms.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  19. Pretty In Pink

North worries! Good luck!