Please critique my Wing Chun.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by mewtwo55555, Jan 23, 2018.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So I am going to put my ego on the line and share a video of me doing the first form of Wing Chun. Wondering if you guys could critique it?

wing chun.mp4

Thanks

Simon, Knee Rider, hewho and 2 others like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Firstly, well done for putting yourself out there! It's hard to put out personal content when we are all so used to being anonymous.

Can't really say much more positive stuff because I don't do WC anymore and I dislike forms. But keep posting videos if you can/want to! Because improvement is through self scrutiny and honesty, and the video camera doesn't lie ^^

3. mewtwo55555

Thanks once this video has went around this forum somewhat I will be deleting it. It was spur of the moment and as you can see I was hindered by the wall/door and not able to get proper form for faux sau the proper spelling alludes me at the moment.

Also feel free to comment on my weight and how that can hinder my wing chun.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Well done for posting video for critique :)

I have not studied wing chin, but 5 ancestors fist which has similarities.

Generally speaking I can only comment on 2 items:

1. The palm block across ( Pak sao I think it's called in wing chun ) should not come across so far. Just past the face is sufficient, in southern styles most blocks stop at the point after deflection, whereas it is more common in northern styles (changquan) to carry the block on past the point of deflection.

2. May not be so relevant in wing chun, in the southern styles I studied when the hand is drawn back to the midsection, the elbow should be pulled in tight, towards each other.

Not much else I can say. :) Keep it up.

How long have you been trying in Wing Chun?

5. mewtwo55555

Thanks and 6 years. Doing class on average 2 times a month with my instructor.

Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Hey WC is meant for those small spaces ;)

As to your weight, it's not relative to your martial arts prowess thus not necessary to comment on :)

axelb likes this.
  7. mewtwo55555

Thanks I have had people in the past comment on my weight. I am curious why weight does not matter?

8. Pretty In Pink

Oh went definitely matters in the context of fighting. It determines a lot of things. It does not really make a difference in doing techniques. It would never be something that would come up in relation to your training.

9. mewtwo55555

Ok so I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and 260 pounds. Or 1.79 meters and 117.9 kilograms. I guess how would this effect my fighting?

The reason I ask about my weight to begin with is because in the past I have been told by people that did not do martial arts and such that they did not believe I was a martial artist because I was fat. I tried to shrug off what they said.

10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

People tend to make a snap judgement based on someones size without any other knowledge of them, often because the athletes we tend to be exposed to are more frequently people with lower bodyfat percentages (Joshua, Bolt, Mcgregor etc). If it's something that you want to change about yourself, or if it's not a healthy weight for you, take steps to change it. But that should be for you, not anyone else :)

As for how it will change your fighting, I can only talk generally, because I've never seen you fight. If the majority of your weight is fat you will be slower, and tire quicker just because your muscles have more weight to move. On the other hand, people will have to expend more energy when they try and move you, and if you can take and hold a dominant top position on the ground, you'll be quite difficult to dislodge.

All of that is very general, for instance there is a guy in gym I go to who is heavily overweight, but has some impressive head movement and hand speed on the bags from training earlier in life, and there are also athletes who train very hard, but still aren't ripped (Strongmen/powerlifters are good examples here. They tend to be very strong, but aren't the all round healthiest athletes)

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

I know lots of big guys who can handle themselves easily. Weight is a big advantage because you will have a lot of strength and size. It determines how hard you can hit.

hewho likes this.
  12. mewtwo55555

Thanks for the input Yeah basically their was one dude I knew at a group I went to and he thought things like "your not a martial artist unless you train everyday like goku from dragonball z"

True

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Aw geez, the file won't open for me. Won't play. :(

Kudos to you for posting it! I hope some WC members of MAP have good advice for you.

As for the idiot who told you this

or this
    As I have said before, people like that need to spend less time looking at other people's stuff (and watching dragonball z) and more time training! Pay that sort of person no mind whatsoever.

And if any person tries to give any member crap about their weight, this moderator won't tolerate it. Asking for MA critique and personal attacks on a person's physique are two things. One is allowed and the other isn't IMO. And I feel pretty confident that the rest of the mod team would agree with me. We want to encourage more members to feel like this is a safe environment to post personal video's like this.

Martial arts practice is for anyone who wants to do it. It is practiced all over the world by all sorts of people. That's just a fact.

hewho, axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

People like that grind my gears, I've had the opposite problem of 'you're too little to be any good', just ignore them and focus on your training, that's what we're here for!

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't do WC so I will phrase the two points that jumped at me first glance as questions, since maybe you're supposed to do it like that.

1. Are you told to have your fingers apart and close to each other?
    Personally I think it's rather dangerous and something I never heard of before. Everything I train at, makes it an important point to keep them together.
    From personal experience, because in the heat of randori I got dumb and had them apart, I also tend to say "together", because it still hurt a week later :D

2. You're not looking in the direction your working.
    Later on I noticed a lot of looking to the ground or the side.

I tend to do that, when I have to remember what I have to do, but as soon as a Kata (or whatever) is remembered I pay attention to *not* let that happen anymore.
    My teachers also make sure, that I look at where I hit or block or whatever.

Just two points I noticed, when watching the clip.

As for the weight: If the subject were to come up I would probably ask if losing some weight wouldn't be an option.
    From personal experience (I nearly weighed 100kg on 165cm for a while; I took the break at 99,8kg and decided never again) I can say, it will feel awesome, once it gets less; just because moving in itself will different and nicer and the joints will let you know how they appreciate it.

If you feel good with your weight, than it's entirely up to you what to do or not to do about it.

16. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I also have no idea about wing chun and only ever did karate, so what I write will be based on that and may be actually different for wing chun. If it is so, you can happily ignore this ^^

I have no critique for the techniques, but for the general feel of the form. I think it may lack some flow. Now I say that because that is what I struggle with, especially with the form I am working on now. What I mean is that is is usually good if there is more dynamics in the strikes or techniques, as if they are really intended to hit someone. After a strong technique like that, there may also be a slight break. And a difference between hard and soft parts. Which you obviously do, but at some parts maybe it could be a bit more pronounced? It is probably generally hard to do especially when you are filming yourself and may be nervous, but try to feel and live the form more. A bit abstract, I know, but only critique that came to my mind and hasn't been written, yet.

Also, and this is a style thing: In karate we aren't supposed to breath aloud in normal (not breathing type) of forms. But this may be different for WC and/or it does look sort of like a breathing form, perhaps.

As for what you wrote about your weight: It looks like you got a lot of comments, judging from how you mentioned it. I agree with averyone else. Only stupid people who want to better their ego would add some nasty comments. Although for MAs being smaller would make you more agile and maybe more fit in some ways, you may be stronger than most people. And personally I admire people who work on themselves and don't let anything stop them even if they are heavier/older or whatever and may be subject ot weird looks. I have a friend who is willing to try sports for fun although she is heavier and older than most people in those places. She won't let ti hinder her and would prove to anyone she can do it and if she can't that she's going to fight and do her best.
    If you aren't content with your weight and would like to lose some (which may not be the case, I am just guessing from the way you wrote about it and that it may be botherig you), I think we'll all be supportive. (Aand you can start a training log here to map your MA progress and your weight progress, too, if you like - as I do. It is motivating :) ). If you feel good, ignore those who think they can dictate your life.

And thanks for sharing the video! It is my first time seeing a WC form and generally you are cool that you're not worried to put yourself out here, as has been said. :)
    Keep up the good work!

17. mewtwo55555

On the weight thing I am loosing it. I was allot heavier. 374 pounds which led to health issues so I have been ramping up the martial arts and such.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Good job! Keep going and you will feel better even more :)

What about the non-weight part but the WC-part?
    I really do wonder, if you are supposed to have your fingers apart or if it's a bad habit.

19. mewtwo55555

What part of the form are you referring to with my fingers apart.

I have never been corrected on my fingers so I am assuming I am doing it right. Also just remembered something about being shock absorbents or something.

20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I was thinking the same, as all the kungfu forms I have done have fingers together, however all the performances of siu lum tao I have seen, this is a common hand position with fingers relatively loose