Planning on joining an MMA tournament in my country

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Hey guys, as you can see I am planning on joining the MMA tournament held in my country, if you have AXN, I'm sure you heard of the Malaysian Invasion. I will be joining it next year though cause only then am i officially allowed to join the competition. I have a year so far to prepare for my first official match XD. Even if it is a year, I still feel nervous. So I guess I'll be posting my training logs. if you need to critique please do. I have changed since the first time I came to MAP. If I haven't please forgive me and point out my mistakes. Please take care of me Sempais!. I guess this is my stats so far, 2nd Degree Black belt in taekwondo and 8th kyu in aikido(all i know I'm a second level of white belt so i could be a bit mixed up). And a handful of techniques learned from books which i will start asking pros on. aside from that as far as i can tell, I have weak lungs i guess? since i can run in full speed but only for up to 3 to 4 round or 2 to 3 rounds, just before gasping for air badly. I guess my build is not bad. but if you guys need a pic just let me know. and finally my kicks are kinda slow, if you need video please also let me know. If you need an overall video of my condition let me know as well. and i hope that wasn't against rules. you'll let me know right if i'm breaking any rules? before banning me if i deserved it?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

go to an MMA school (where sparring will be similar to that competition) or choose a martial art that has a good track record in MMA?

aikido might not work so well when you have a bjj purple belt and pro thai fighter clinching you and then pinning you to the floor

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Dang, umm then what about the aikido used by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei? Isn't it the same?

4. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

just curious that is, if it isn't then i guess i'll have no choice.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Since I've never seen Maylaysian Invasion I can't comment on the quality of competition you'll face to know exactly how much you'd need to improve but running would definitely be near the top of my list but I'm personally a fan of building cardio by doing the sport. As in, spar in mma rounds for a round or two longer than you need to. So if the tournament matches last, say, 10 minutes, then spar for 15/20. If you're interested I have a cardio drill the kickboxing fight team at my gym uses which is structured around rounds.

As for the handful of techniques you have from books, I'm one of the very few people who thinks you actually can learn from resources other than a teacher but obviously we can't critique those without seeing videos of you doing them.

And finally, I don't suppose you have a bjj, judo or some form of wrestling class near you you could attend? I've seen TKD blackbelts do very well in ammy mma at striking but you do seem to be lacking in the grappling side of things and watching the clips on their website the guys fighting in Malaysian Invasion seem to have some basic idea of mma grappling.

6. Southpaw535

No idea. What I do know is that I'm yet to see an aikido guy in any mma promotion. And not just UFC, I mean belltaor, cagewarriors, hell even bamma never had someone using aikido. Its a lovely art but its really not designed for mma style fighting.

7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

hmm there is an mma gym but i have no time cause of college atm. and okey I'll try my best to post those videos. hmm so aikido has no grappling attributes right?

8. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

dang that's too bad. but i did find a guy who is using it in mma although i have no idea what is his mma record though. but who know maybe i could actually be the first mma fighter to apply aikido in mma (high spirited) unless there are already done then forgive me if i was being snobbish. It was just a joke though.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

build cardio by sparring.

and train with people who have mma ring experience, that will guide you best.

10. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

But I'll note it down otherwise on the running. btw Southpaw535 you said you have drills that your kickboxing class do? could you show me? in a list or video either one is good.

11. Southpaw535

I'm just about to go the gym myself mate but I'll give it to you when I get home. Would you rather I PM'd it to you or typed it on here so others could add to it/rip it apart? :p

12. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

PM definitely XD

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

but don't let that stop you guys from giving me tips.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You should seriously take up a more well rounded striking art like Muay Thai or Kick Boxing, or at least Boxing to supplement your kicking along with a grappling style. I would give yourself a little more time too, maybe shoot for competing in two years instead of one unless you really pick things up quickly and can dedicate a ton of time towards training. It's good to be ambitions, but be smart about it.

Does this Malaysian Invasion have an amateur potion to it? It would be silly to go straight into a semi-pro or pro bout.

15. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

it is amateur i think XD. If it doesn't forgive my context but it's much more funnier this way, Habislah ku!! XD (i'm doomed in malay)

16. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

* if it isn't

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you don't currently train in a school where people try to punch you in the face (and where you do get punched in the face), you need to find one, now.

Equally you need to get to a school that teaches grappling, or the first time someone gets a hold of you, they'll keep a hold of you and beat the hell out of you.

Your aikido will be less than useless in an MMA competition at the moment. Ignoring what I think of aikido, you just don't have enough experience to apply it in any situation.

You're going to have to pull your finger out if you want to be competitive in a year.

18. Southpaw535

I have to admit it seems weird they'd accept an entry for someone without an mma background. Anyway I agree with Holy about it being finger pulling time. A year is the minimum at my gym to fight on their show and that's training 5 times a week with other fighters

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That's good, and it's a good goal to set. Just keep in mind that you posted this in the "newbie questions" which is a big indicator that you're not even close to ready by martial arts standards or health and fitness standards. Conditioning is just as important as skill, and they both take a ton of time and dedication to increase. I still think you should give yourself a little more time honestly.

I Boxed for about a year and a half before I started competing and I really should have given myself more time. I believe I was ready as far as my skill and conditioning went, but there were a few things I was lacking and experience was one of them. Going to amateur events, going to other gyms to spar and making different connections, and being smarter about who I jumped into the ring with would have all increased everything I had exponentially and given me a lot more experience. You can't focus on those things (or shouldn't, really) until you have your own game down and those things probably take just as long as developing your skills.

I ended up with a traumatic brain injury last June which I'm still disabled from. There are other factors involved which I've logged all about on MAP, but it can still happen to an otherwise healthy and normal individual. I'm not trying to sound paranoid or talk you out of your goals, I think they're great! I just think you should probably consider training a little longer and getting more experience and unless you're able to dedicate 30-40 hour weeks in training alone you should probably give yourself a little more time. Once you get started you're there and if you're good things will move quickly, no sense in rushing it!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I can't imagine doing an MMA tournament without some wrestling and BJJ experience. I think others here are correct, find an MMA gym to train in. An MMA gym will have good advice for developing cardio specific to competition.

Good luck to you!